Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default propane tank date

on 7/28/2007 11:38 PM Pete C. said the following:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

When they were phasing out the old tanks, around here, you could take in
an old tank that was out of hydro, and no questions asked, they would give
you a refilled tank with the OPD. I think it was just good business on
their part. I traded in about four old tanks that way. Just walked in,
shut up, paid at the counter, and walked out with the new tanks.

Steve

Good deal if you don't mind being locked in to Blue Rhino. They are $5 to
$10 more per fill up around here.

You aren't locked into anything, you still own the tank and can fill of
exchange it anywhere. Mostly you're paying for the eventual recert or
hydro cost in installments and never actually have to deal with it. In
the case of cylinder exchange for welding gasses you also have the
advantage of an "instant fill" vs. waiting a day or two to have a
specific tank refilled.

Pete C.

Besides, the Blue Rhino tanks can be exchanged on the weekend (esp.
Sunday) when propane distributors may be closed, and you won't have to
buy new tanks when yours expire, fail, or get damaged.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY