Posted to alt.home.repair

Default propane tank/gas cooktop

Found a thread which was helpful but not completely. I bought a gas
cooktop (kenmore) with the lp conversion kit. Plan to have it on the
lanai to be able to cook out there. Plan on connecting to either a 20lb
or 100lb portable lp tank. My question is exactly how do I connect it
from the regulator on the cooktop to the propane tank? Do I need a 2nd
regulator at the tank, and what kind of tubing, etc? I looked on the
regulator that came with the cooktop, doesn't look like anything screws
into it, as there is no threads on either side of the regulator.

Angela

Posted to alt.home.repair

davidlaska wrote:

Once converted (the conversion kit also modifies the regular and
nozzle), you hook up the gas the same way you would with natural gas.
The tank will be outside for safety. It is a good idea to read your
local codes at the very least.

I don't know how that would be since I don't have natural gas either.
The tank would be outside as well as the cooktop, but I need to know do
I just buy a line and regulator for a 20lb propane tank and if so, how
does it connect to the stove?

I haven't used gas in 20 years.

Angela

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Found a thread which was helpful but not completely. I bought a gas
cooktop (kenmore) with the lp conversion kit. Plan to have it on the
lanai to be able to cook out there. Plan on connecting to either a 20lb
or 100lb portable lp tank. My question is exactly how do I connect it
from the regulator on the cooktop to the propane tank? Do I need a 2nd
regulator at the tank, and what kind of tubing, etc? I looked on the
regulator that came with the cooktop, doesn't look like anything screws
into it, as there is no threads on either side of the regulator.

The best source for that information is your local propane supplier. I
have used propane for years and have also converted my appliances to
propane. I have also used propane to power space heaters and camp
stoves.

If you have more than one propane appliance then you will have one
regualtor for the entire house, usually attached to the house. On my
house, I have soft copper from the tank to the regulator. From there
black pipe is used to make the runs to the the appliances. then,
flexible tubing is used to the appliance. So, you see a variety of
piping is used for different situations. Camping and heating
appliances are supplied with a rubber hose and crimp-on connectors.

If you only have the one stove then you should be able to use the
regulator that you say came with the stove. Some of the stuff you say
like no threads on a regulator don't make sense so talk to you propane
supplier for expert information. My supplier is big on safety and are
more than happy to hook up and check my gas. Even if it's just a pilot
light they will come out for nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I missed the comment about "no threads", and 20 years since she used
gas, she should take your advice and try a propane place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, will be visiting them tomorrow

Angela