Posted to alt.home.repair
G G is offline

Default Bathtub wall tiles peeling...

I guess the previous owner had an old bathtub/tiles sprayed with some
kind of white enamel paint or something because some of the edges of the
tiles that are hit by water constantly are starting to peel/crack off
exposing the original ugly tile underneath.

I bought "porc-a-fix" at home depot and was going to give that a try to
prevent water from getting into the tiles and peeling it inside out, but
is there a more common way to touch-up the tiles treated with such an
overcoat? Are there spray-on glossy white enamel paints I should use
instead?

Any tips/suggestions much appreciated!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"G" wrote in message
I guess the previous owner had an old bathtub/tiles sprayed with some
kind of white enamel paint or something because some of the edges of the
tiles that are hit by water constantly are starting to peel/crack off
exposing the original ugly tile underneath.

I bought "porc-a-fix" at home depot and was going to give that a try to
prevent water from getting into the tiles and peeling it inside out, but
is there a more common way to touch-up the tiles treated with such an
overcoat? Are there spray-on glossy white enamel paints I should use
instead?

Any tips/suggestions much appreciated!

Ever heard the term "cob job"? Sounds like the prior owner did a real cob
job with your walls. Tear it all down and do it right. It'll be a pain in
the ass, but you'll feel so good when it looks gorgeous, and the
installation is as bulletproof as you can make it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 3:08 pm, G wrote:
I guess the previous owner had an old bathtub/tiles sprayed with some
kind of white enamel paint or something because some of the edges of the
tiles that are hit by water constantly are starting to peel/crack off
exposing the original ugly tile underneath.

I bought "porc-a-fix" at home depot and was going to give that a try to
prevent water from getting into the tiles and peeling it inside out, but
is there a more common way to touch-up the tiles treated with such an
overcoat? Are there spray-on glossy white enamel paints I should use
instead?

Any tips/suggestions much appreciated!

Paint over tiles? If the paint is peeling then you can address that.
Scrub with wire brush and scraper until you get the peeling cracking
paint removed. Yu don't wan't to remove all the paint unless it has
all failed. One your surface is clean and smooth then you can
repaint. I use and oil based enamel on difficult surfaces especially
if exposed to water.

If the tile is failing then that's a different problem and likely
requires a tear-off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

It might be a poor refinishing job. We had two bathrooms tiles refinished
in the previous house and with reasonable care it held up for a good 5 years
until we moved.

"G" wrote in message
I guess the previous owner had an old bathtub/tiles sprayed with some
kind of white enamel paint or something because some of the edges of the
tiles that are hit by water constantly are starting to peel/crack off
exposing the original ugly tile underneath.

I bought "porc-a-fix" at home depot and was going to give that a try to
prevent water from getting into the tiles and peeling it inside out, but
is there a more common way to touch-up the tiles treated with such an
overcoat? Are there spray-on glossy white enamel paints I should use
instead?

Any tips/suggestions much appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair
G G is offline

In article om,
says...
On Apr 13, 3:08 pm, G wrote:
[...]

Tile is not failing at all. I used the porc-a-fix and I think it should
do the job of preventing any further peeling. I'll go to home depot
though and see what kind of good oil-based enamel in white they have,
tnx for the tip...I'll also see if they sell anything specifically for
this purpose, tiles are in good shape otherwise
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.radio.satellite

I guess the previous owner had an old bathtub/tiles sprayed with some
kind of white enamel paint or something because some of the edges of the
tiles that are hit by water constantly are starting to peel/crack off
exposing the original ugly tile underneath.

I bought "porc-a-fix" at home depot and was going to give that a try to
prevent water from getting into the tiles and peeling it inside out, but
is there a more common way to touch-up the tiles treated with such an
overcoat? Are there spray-on glossy white enamel paints I should use
instead?

Any tips/suggestions much appreciated!

I'd remove the tiles and start over, it's not much harder and the result
should be a lot nicer. Another option is a fiberglass shower stall, you
can get them now that are made of a floor pan and several interlocking
wall panels. One piece units are available as well but much harder to
fit into existing structures. I had to open a wall to get one in.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.radio.satellite

On 4/14/07 10:59 AM, in article GD8Uh.2552$h8.1037@trnddc06, "James Sweet"
wrote:

[...]

Hello from alt.radio.satellite!

Not sure why bathtub tiles are a post in our newsgroup, but hey...

---
View my blog: radiomatthew.com
Stream 24 internet radio: radiomatthew.com/stream24

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.electrical.compliance,alt.radio.satellite

wrote:

I guess the previous owner had an old bathtub/tiles sprayed with some
kind of white enamel paint or something because some of the edges of the
tiles that are hit by water constantly are starting to peel/crack off
exposing the original ugly tile underneath.

I bought "porc-a-fix" at home depot and was going to give that a try to
prevent water from getting into the tiles and peeling it inside out, but
is there a more common way to touch-up the tiles treated with such an
overcoat? Are there spray-on glossy white enamel paints I should use
instead?

Any tips/suggestions much appreciated!

Okay, here's what I want you to do:

1. Head to Wal-Mart and buy a jar of white-out.
2. Go home, open the jar, apply the white-out.
3. After about fifteen minutes of the white-out not working, get
frustrated.
4. Throw the white-out out in a fit of fury.
5. Realize that now would be a good time to relax to some music.
6. Call 1-800-XM-RADIO and subscribe to XM music.
7. Mellow out to XM, then come back to the newsgroup.

Hope this helps

---
View my blog: radiomatthew.com
Stream 24 internet radio: radiomatthew.com/stream24

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 9:23 am, G wrote:
In article om,
says...

On Apr 13, 3:08 pm, G wrote:
[...]

this purpose, tiles are in good shape otherwise- Hide quoted text -

Home depot will not have the paint you need. Go to a real paint
store. I go to sherwin williams. They call theirs "insustrial
enamel" and it is a real problem fixer, will adhere to almost any
problem surface. Just remember mineral spirits or paint thinner for
clean up on oils.