Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathtub surround wall tiling?

We have a bathub/shower that needs a new surround-
The walls are currently a cheap-o surround kit, and ~suprisingly~ water
is getting in behind the walls causing mildew.
We want to take this out, and replace it with tile. My only question
is regarding the joint between tile and bathtub. Currently, there is a
small 1" lip on the tub, the surround is overlapping this lip. When
removed, how do we make the joint between tile and the lip? It is a
steel tob, and the lip is just a thin piece. Should I tile ove rit?
Or is there some option I don't know about.

I am a HOME REPAIR newbie!

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a bathub/shower that needs a new surround-
The walls are currently a cheap-o surround kit, and ~suprisingly~ water
is getting in behind the walls causing mildew.
We want to take this out, and replace it with tile. My only question
is regarding the joint between tile and bathtub. Currently, there is a
small 1" lip on the tub, the surround is overlapping this lip. When
removed, how do we make the joint between tile and the lip? It is a
steel tob, and the lip is just a thin piece. Should I tile ove rit?
Or is there some option I don't know about.

I am a HOME REPAIR newbie!

How old is the house? Any chance there is old tile under the surround kit?

I say this in the kindest possible fashion- hire it done the first time,
watch, and learn. To do the job properly, you will need to go deeper than
just pulling off the surround kit- you will also need to strip the (probably
greenboard) sheetrock behind it, dry out, stabilize and otherwise patch the
studs, replace (or probably add) suitable insulation, shim the studs to
match the lip, install cement board (screws, not nails), tape and seal the
joints, and in general make sure everything is square and solid. THEN, you
are ready for tile. Tiling is a lot harder than it looks, to get it all
square and pretty, and an amateur job will **** you off every time you get
in the tub. And yes, the cement board and tile does go down over the lip,
almost but not quite touching the horizontal surface. Don't forget to check
behind and under the tub for water damage as well- are there any water
stains in the ceiling or joist spaces below? If you can seen the bottom of
the subfloor, poke it with an ice pick, especially any dark spots, looking
for mushy areas.

If you have never done this work before, content yourself with doing the
demolition, and hire somebody for the rebuild. The bright spot is- this is a
great opportunity to install a modern faucet and shower riser, since the
wall is open anyway. I'd also look real hard at the stamped-steel tub, and
consider how it will look next to a nice fresh tile job. Of course, if you
change the tub, then the floor has to be replaced, and then the rest of the
bathroom looks tired, and where do you stop? (Guys usually won't notice or
care, but women always do- trust me.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXCELLENT information- The house is not old, in fact there is access
to the plumbing where I can see that the wallboard is plain old
drywall. So that will have to come out. Your answer is exactly the
information I needed, especially the clarification on the tub/wall
joint.
I think the realization that I will have to stare at my less than
perfect job every morning is enough to hire someone-

Thank you so much!

~Ron

wrote:
oups.com...