Chris

Default Installing bathtub kit (wall surround)

I'm installing a Crane Plumbing wall surround kit in a shower soon and
have a question about removing the existing laminant (formica?)
material from the wall. I'm *assuming* that removing of this laminant
may tear up the sheetrock that it's glued to forcing me to replace the
sheetrock. My question is, does anyone know of a gentle means of
removing this laminant? I'd really rather not replace the sheetrock
if I don't have to when I install this surround. Any pointers would
be greatly appreciated.

Chris
PipeDown

"Chris" coverland914 @ yahoo.com wrote in message
news
I'm installing a Crane Plumbing wall surround kit in a shower soon and
have a question about removing the existing laminant (formica?)
material from the wall. I'm *assuming* that removing of this laminant
may tear up the sheetrock that it's glued to forcing me to replace the
sheetrock. My question is, does anyone know of a gentle means of
removing this laminant? I'd really rather not replace the sheetrock
if I don't have to when I install this surround. Any pointers would
be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Can you just leave it there. couldn't be much more than 1/32" thick. How
is the new surround attached, adhesive all over or just something at the
edges?

Formica in a shower, never seen that. waterproof enough but it must have
gotten old looking real fast.

Chris

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:17:11 GMT, "PipeDown"
wrote:

Can you just leave it there. couldn't be much more than 1/32" thick. How
is the new surround attached, adhesive all over or just something at the
edges?

Formica in a shower, never seen that. waterproof enough but it must have
gotten old looking real fast.

Not sure if it's formica - some sort of a laminant material. I've
seen it in showers before but not much these days. The laminant
material is in good structural shape, seems to be adhering well, etc.
That's one reason I thought about just trying to scuff it, remove all
the trim pieces from the corners and edges of the existing laminant
and try to glue direct to the laminant. Directions on the new
surround are to use an adhesive vertically every 5" or so (full
length).

Have a picture of this project at http://home.nctv.com/ajns/tub.jpg
which shows this 'laminant' surface with the trim I was mentioning
removing (then trying to go onto the laminant. The material itself
probably isn't more than 1/32" thick - pretty thin stuff.
PanHandler

"Chris" coverland914 @ yahoo.com wrote in message
Not sure if it's formica - some sort of a laminant material. I've
seen it in showers before but not much these days. The laminant
material is in good structural shape, seems to be adhering well, etc.
That's one reason I thought about just trying to scuff it, remove all
the trim pieces from the corners and edges of the existing laminant
and try to glue direct to the laminant. Directions on the new
surround are to use an adhesive vertically every 5" or so (full
length).

Have a picture of this project at http://home.nctv.com/ajns/tub.jpg
which shows this 'laminant' surface with the trim I was mentioning
removing (then trying to go onto the laminant. The material itself
probably isn't more than 1/32" thick - pretty thin stuff.

If it's sound and firmly fastened I'd say go ahead and glue the new surround
to it. BUT - be sure to remove as much soap film as possible first! I've
done many of these jobs, gluing the new material to what I believe is called
tile board (a plastic-like finish over masonite). I've always used the blue
label Liquid Nails specifically made for tub surrounds.