PanHandler

"Chris" coverland914 @ yahoo.com wrote in message
Not sure if it's formica - some sort of a laminant material. I've
seen it in showers before but not much these days. The laminant
material is in good structural shape, seems to be adhering well, etc.
That's one reason I thought about just trying to scuff it, remove all
the trim pieces from the corners and edges of the existing laminant
and try to glue direct to the laminant. Directions on the new
surround are to use an adhesive vertically every 5" or so (full
length).

Have a picture of this project at http://home.nctv.com/ajns/tub.jpg
which shows this 'laminant' surface with the trim I was mentioning
removing (then trying to go onto the laminant. The material itself
probably isn't more than 1/32" thick - pretty thin stuff.

If it's sound and firmly fastened I'd say go ahead and glue the new surround
to it. BUT - be sure to remove as much soap film as possible first! I've
done many of these jobs, gluing the new material to what I believe is called
tile board (a plastic-like finish over masonite). I've always used the blue
label Liquid Nails specifically made for tub surrounds.