dadiOH

Default tiling our tub surround

~blue~ wrote:
We gutted our bathroom last year and were incorrectly told by a
contractor that we could tile over the green drywall for our tub
surround. Lucky we found out this was a bad idea BEFORE we tiled.
Instead we put up
Barker tile (http://www.barker.ca). Now, a year later, I HATE the
stuff. I tiled a small sink backsplash yesterday and it looks SUPER
and I'd like
to do the same tile for our tub surround. Here's the problem, ripping
out all the drywall in the bathroom and redoing the entire thing again
with cement backer board is NOT an option. I have 2 ideas and I'd
like to
know if either will work. If they are both bad ideas, then we'll suck
it
up and suffer with the Barker tile until we can redo the bathroom
again.
My ideas a
1. rip off the Barker tile and cut out the drywall in the tub surround
area (basically chop out a 5 foot high section around the tub). Then
replace the chopped out sections with cement backer board (or whatever
surface is suitable for tiling). Main problem with this is, not sure
how I'll connect the cement board to the drywall around the edges.

Tape and mud. And/or tile over the joint.

BTW, no reason you couldn't have tiled over the greenboard. Cement
board is better (no rot) but...

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

G Henslee

~blue~ wrote:
We gutted our bathroom last year and were incorrectly told by a
contractor that we could tile over the green drywall for our tub surround. Lucky
we found out this was a bad idea BEFORE we tiled. Instead we put up
Barker tile (http://www.barker.ca). Now, a year later, I HATE the stuff. I
tiled a small sink backsplash yesterday and it looks SUPER and I'd like
to do the same tile for our tub surround.

Rip off the Barker, install Hardibacker over the drywall and tile.
G Henslee

dadiOH wrote:

BTW, no reason you couldn't have tiled over the greenboard.

'cept for one. Greenboard is not recommended, accepted or approved for
tile substrate in showers by pros, mfger's or the TCA.