Darryl

Default Q.: Installing tub surround OVER 1" ceramic tile...

A friend wants to install a tub surround over what I think are 1"
ceramic tiles. :-o. The bad question of the day is: will standard
tub surround adhesive "stick" to the ceramic tile and hold the
surround in place? Or should something a little more aggressive be
used? (e.g., something that's applied with a 1/4" trowel).

TIA!
Darryl.
Dennis Turner

On 7/26/2005 5:40 PM or thereabouts, Darryl appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

A friend wants to install a tub surround over what I think are 1"
ceramic tiles. :-o. The bad question of the day is: will standard
tub surround adhesive "stick" to the ceramic tile and hold the
surround in place? Or should something a little more aggressive be
used? (e.g., something that's applied with a 1/4" trowel).

TIA!
Darryl.

I applied a tub surround over tile for my Mom a few years back to combat
a leaky wall situation. It was easier (and cheaper) than tearing out the
35 year old tile and redoing it, and it lasted her the rest of her life.
I used the standard adhesive.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.
Darryl

On 7/26/2005 5:40 PM or thereabouts, Darryl appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

A friend wants to install a tub surround over what I think are 1"
ceramic tiles. :-o. The bad question of the day is: will standard
tub surround adhesive "stick" to the ceramic tile and hold the
surround in place? Or should something a little more aggressive be
used? (e.g., something that's applied with a 1/4" trowel).

TIA!
Darryl.

I applied a tub surround over tile for my Mom a few years back to combat
a leaky wall situation. It was easier (and cheaper) than tearing out the
35 year old tile and redoing it, and it lasted her the rest of her life.
I used the standard adhesive.

Thanks for the reply Dennis--I just saw the bathroom today. Looks
like the surround is meant to combat a "hole-in-the-wall" situation.
:-o. A little greenboard, the surround and nobody *should* know the
difference.