Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathtub wall replacing

We took down the tile and found that the drywall had mold. I was told this
was the original tile from 1972. Took out the old drywall and tile and put
new greenboard up and tiled her up again. My guess is this should last over
20yrs or so. So why would I spend $2000.00 - $3000.00 on cement board and
Ditra system when this will last well over 10yrs and would be easy to
replace. Using Greenboard and tiling cost me $350.00 installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

85 Capri wrote:
We took down the tile and found that the drywall had mold. I was told this
was the original tile from 1972. Took out the old drywall and tile and put
new greenboard up and tiled her up again. My guess is this should last over
20yrs or so. So why would I spend $2000.00 - $3000.00 on cement board and
Ditra system when this will last well over 10yrs and would be easy to
replace. Using Greenboard and tiling cost me $350.00 installed.

Because using Ditra you can do a whole room in 3minutes and they have a
cool web video to proove it
http://www.schluter.co.uk/produkt_vi...&pg=uebersicht

Posted to alt.home.repair

85 Capri wrote:
We took down the tile and found that the drywall had mold. I was told this
was the original tile from 1972. Took out the old drywall and tile and put
new greenboard up and tiled her up again. My guess is this should last over
20yrs or so. So why would I spend $2000.00 - $3000.00 on cement board and
Ditra system when this will last well over 10yrs and would be easy to
replace. Using Greenboard and tiling cost me $350.00 installed.

Assuming you're not a troll - with the amount of partial and
disinformation in your post it's not clear one way or the other - I'll
humor you with a few observations.

Cement backer board costs about three times as much as greenboard, so
for a typical tub surround area the backer board would have cost
roughly $80 more. Ditra is most commonly used on floors, not walls.
Kerdi is used on walls. Either one would have cost a couple or three
hundred bucks for your installation. Why are you multiplying by ten in
your guesstimate?

Tiling on greenboard is for hacks. It's done all of the time. By
hacks. If you wanted ease of installation, a waterproof barrier and
added insulation on the walls, you could have used Wedi board which is
a bit more than cement backer board but has the added benefits listed
above.

There's no reason why you should spend money you don't want to. It's
your house. I'm guessing from the $350 installed price you mentioned
you did the work yourself and didn't include the value of your labor.
If you hired someone to install it for that price, you hired a hack.

If you really wanted to save money you could have gone with a $100
vinyl tub surround. Viewed from that angle you wasted money.

Justifying your decisions by puffing up the numbers to support your
choice is an art form best left to politicians.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok.

I had a couple of companies come in and estimate taking old off and putting
new on. The companies both said you must be a qualified installer to do the
schluter system. Both came in around the $2000.00 to $3000.00 price range.
Yes, I installed myself, so you calling me a Hack?. My labor to my own place
is free labor, thats the whole point of saving the labor not hiring someone
else.

So what is wrong with installing on Greenboard?

My work is proffesionall and will last well over 20yrs most definatly. so I
would not call myself a Hack. The tile will need to redone in 5 -10 yrs.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
85 Capri wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

By the way, The (Shluter) system for tub surround costs at Home depot was
$499.99 plus tax

Cement board was $150.00

The kirdi was optional and very recommended at $120.00

Thinset - $22.00 x 2 bags

approx- $1000.00 just for the schluter system + $250.00 for the tile and
grout.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
85 Capri wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

This can't be real, but tile on greenboard in a tub surround = hack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

so tile on Greenboard = hack for a TUB surround?

Why?

wrote in message
ps.com...
This can't be real, but tile on greenboard in a tub surround = hack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

85 Capri wrote:
so tile on Greenboard = hack for a TUB surround?

Why?

wrote in message
ps.com...
This can't be real, but tile on greenboard in a tub surround = hack.

Maybe, if you'd relax, and listen to what people are trying to tell
you,
you'd "get it." Or RTFM and DAGS.

Greenboard is moisture _resistant_, a little more so than std
sheetrock.
Not suitable for regular wetting, as happens behind shower tiles.

Cement board can withstand regular wetting, though there really should
be a moisture-barrier, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

85 Capri wrote:
so tile on Greenboard = hack for a TUB surround?

Why?

The manufacturer of the product says not to use it in tub or shower
surrounds.

The International Residential Code says not to use it in tub or shower
surrounds.

That's why.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RayV wrote:
85 Capri wrote:
We took down the tile and found that the drywall had mold. I was told this
was the original tile from 1972. Took out the old drywall and tile and put
new greenboard up and tiled her up again. My guess is this should last over
20yrs or so. So why would I spend $2000.00 - $3000.00 on cement board and
Ditra system when this will last well over 10yrs and would be easy to
replace. Using Greenboard and tiling cost me $350.00 installed.

Because using Ditra you can do a whole room in 3minutes and they have a
cool web video to proove it
http://www.schluter.co.uk/produkt_vi...&pg=uebersicht

Damn that's fast!
It would take me more than 3 minutes just to do the grout.

Best regards, :^)

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

85 Capri wrote:

I had a couple of companies come in and estimate taking old off and putting
new on. The companies both said you must be a qualified installer to do the
schluter system. Both came in around the $2000.00 to $3000.00 price range.
Yes, I installed myself, so you calling me a Hack?. My labor to my own place
is free labor, thats the whole point of saving the labor not hiring someone
else.

So what is wrong with installing on Greenboard?

My work is proffesionall and will last well over 20yrs most definatly. so I
would not call myself a Hack. The tile will need to redone in 5 -10 yrs.

I'm not here to hold anyone's hand, and I do apologize if I stepped on
your toes. The time to be asking these questions is before you do the
construction, not after. There is a boat load of knowledge on Usenet
and it is _always_ a good idea to seek out advice before you start
blazing away. Sometimes asking a couple of questions beforehand could
save you money, labor or a law suit.

Moisture resistant wallboard (greenboard) is not intended for use in
wet areas and is no longer approved by the International Residential
Code for such applications. Gypsum is known to disintegrate over time
with continuous moisture exposure and the paper facing on greenboard
can serve as a food source for mold.

If your work is professional, you will use the correct materials in the
correct way. I can understand your reticence to pay for what you
consider an unnecessary expenditure, but doing a tile installation that
is doomed to failure is not the way to go about "saving" money. Tile
installations are as a rule not waterproof. You cannot rely on a bit
of caulking and some grout to create a perfectly waterproof
installation. If you need waterproof, you install a waterproof
membrane.

By the time the signs of failure show up in your tile installation, far
more damage will be hiding in your walls. If you're lucky the damage
will just be to the wall board. If you're not the framing may be
rotting.

Your labor is not free unless you don't value your time. Presumably
there are other things that you could be doing that you enjoy. Putting
in more time on your regular job would earn you more money than your
labor on your bathroom would save you. Offsetting the value of your
time is the sweat equity that you are accruing in your house. You're
paying with your time now, you'll reap the rewards when you sell or
refinance.

Why are you planning on redoing the tile job in five or ten years?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...

Why are you planning on redoing the tile job in five or ten years?

Tile will be outdated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lol... Outdated tile in a tub surround?
Hell, I have some 40 year old ceramic in my tub surround... off-white
with green dots... Find curtains to match that. ;-)

Y'all wanna talk about hacks? I just painted the tile and tub (needed
refinished and new tile) with oil-based gloss white (4 coats, no
primer). The idea was to seal it for a while until I can afford to
replace them, and to cover over that horribly disgustingly ancient
pattern that was on the ceramic. The reality is, the tub looks and
acts like new... the tile looks exceptional...as good a white ceramic
with white grout.

Who knows, sometimes we hack something together to save a few
bucks...and it ends up better than our wildest expectations..... or at
least better than ugly tile from the 60's.

wrote:
On 3 Nov 2006 08:18:13 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Justifying your decisions by puffing up the numbers to support your
choice is an art form best left to politicians.

Damn, I like the way you express yourself.

Ken