Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Bathtub wall replacing

85 Capri wrote:

I had a couple of companies come in and estimate taking old off and putting
new on. The companies both said you must be a qualified installer to do the
schluter system. Both came in around the $2000.00 to $3000.00 price range.
Yes, I installed myself, so you calling me a Hack?. My labor to my own place
is free labor, thats the whole point of saving the labor not hiring someone
else.

So what is wrong with installing on Greenboard?

My work is proffesionall and will last well over 20yrs most definatly. so I
would not call myself a Hack. The tile will need to redone in 5 -10 yrs.

I'm not here to hold anyone's hand, and I do apologize if I stepped on
your toes. The time to be asking these questions is before you do the
construction, not after. There is a boat load of knowledge on Usenet
and it is _always_ a good idea to seek out advice before you start
blazing away. Sometimes asking a couple of questions beforehand could
save you money, labor or a law suit.

Moisture resistant wallboard (greenboard) is not intended for use in
wet areas and is no longer approved by the International Residential
Code for such applications. Gypsum is known to disintegrate over time
with continuous moisture exposure and the paper facing on greenboard
can serve as a food source for mold.

If your work is professional, you will use the correct materials in the
correct way. I can understand your reticence to pay for what you
consider an unnecessary expenditure, but doing a tile installation that
is doomed to failure is not the way to go about "saving" money. Tile
installations are as a rule not waterproof. You cannot rely on a bit
of caulking and some grout to create a perfectly waterproof
installation. If you need waterproof, you install a waterproof
membrane.

By the time the signs of failure show up in your tile installation, far
more damage will be hiding in your walls. If you're lucky the damage
will just be to the wall board. If you're not the framing may be
rotting.

Your labor is not free unless you don't value your time. Presumably
there are other things that you could be doing that you enjoy. Putting
in more time on your regular job would earn you more money than your
labor on your bathroom would save you. Offsetting the value of your
time is the sweat equity that you are accruing in your house. You're
paying with your time now, you'll reap the rewards when you sell or
refinance.

Why are you planning on redoing the tile job in five or ten years?