Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default State Farm Insurance vs knob & tube wiring

I contacted a State Farm Insurance agent today to find out how that company
deals with homes that have K&T wiring. The replies they gave me were exactly
as I would have expected. Unfortunately, they were not willing to give me
the specific documents they read to me regarding this issue. The essence of
the document is that they want to know the percentage of K&T wiring in the
house, the condition of the K&T, and if it is adequate for the loads that
are on the wiring. There are notes indicating that they want certified
electrical inspectors or licensed electricians to make this determination,
depending upon the percentage of K&T in the building. Clearly they have an
issue with K&T , and the issue is primarily its age. They take a number of
factors in to determine if they will insure a house with this type of
wiring, but there is NO blanket denial due to K&T