Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Reece

Default Connecting knob and tube to conduit

Hi,

A bedroom circuit in our house is still using knob and tube. The
house was built in the late 1940's. I want to install a ceiling light
in the closet and run it from the original light. How do I connect my
conduit (romex?) to the knob and tube? Its about a 8 foot run of
wire to the new ceiling light.

Do I splice the positive from the conduit onto the black wire? What
do I attached the negative to? I presume I need to attach it to the
wire that is connected to the knob thingys. Help!

Thanks.
YT
Speedy Jim

Reece wrote:

Hi,

A bedroom circuit in our house is still using knob and tube. The
house was built in the late 1940's. I want to install a ceiling light
in the closet and run it from the original light. How do I connect my
conduit (romex?) to the knob and tube? Its about a 8 foot run of
wire to the new ceiling light.

Do I splice the positive from the conduit onto the black wire? What
do I attached the negative to? I presume I need to attach it to the
wire that is connected to the knob thingys. Help!

Thanks.
YT

Romex is not "conduit". Conduit implies pipe or other "raceway".

Anyway, you may be in over your head on this one.

Splices between K&T and Romex (in your case) must be
made inside a junction box (which must remain accessible).
But you need to bring conductors *from* the K&T into that box;
that implies soldering new wires onto the existing K&T,
correctly wrapping that junction and then correctly supporting
and insulating those wires from the K&T into the box.

I would at least consider getting some pro help on this one
or install a battery-operated light.

Jim