Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default State Farm Insurance vs knob & tube wiring

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
I contacted a State Farm Insurance agent today to find out how that company
deals with homes that have K&T wiring. The replies they gave me were
exactly as I would have expected. Unfortunately, they were not willing to
give me the specific documents they read to me regarding this issue. The
essence of the document is that they want to know the percentage of K&T
wiring in the house, the condition of the K&T, and if it is adequate for
the loads that are on the wiring. There are notes indicating that they want
certified electrical inspectors or licensed electricians to make this
determination, depending upon the percentage of K&T in the building.
Clearly they have an issue with K&T , and the issue is primarily its age.
They take a number of factors in to determine if they will insure a house
with this type of wiring, but there is NO blanket denial due to K&T

Sounds very reasonable to me.