Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default State Farm Insurance vs knob & tube wiring

wrote:
Beyond the issue of wether and at what cost someone CAN get homeowners
insurance.........

Wonder what percentage of shoppers would just ignore the home to avoid
the issue? for many buyers it may well scare them away?

my realtor said 90% of buyers TODAY want a home in move in condition,
later they will modify as needed. plus most purchase the most expensive
home they can afford leaving little money for things like rewiring.

all things to think about when one decides to sell a home.....

Of course the OP home is really low cost but it will be interesting to
see how the selling goes.....

I wish him only the best.

Wonder what percentage of shoppers would just ignore the home to avoid
the issue? for many buyers it may well scare them away?

Depends on the market & the buyers.....a house in my neighborhood
(about 1700 sqft 3bd/2ba)

has been "re-done" inside & out (supposedly) by the previous two
owners...it sold for $862k

I assumed that ALL the K&T had been replaced and ALL the drain & fresh
water plumbing had bee replaced...

wrong! Two weeks after move in, I kept seeing plumbing trucks
there.....the new bath drain plumbing had been just atttached to the
old stuff

bottom line..... in spite of the high price they stll needed to have
the drain plumbing replaced AND a new house to sewer connection...they
also replaced the fresh water supply (street to house)

They wanted an old house with the charm factor so that in spite of any
comments on the inspection report they still bought the place (after a
short bidding war)

while I was in the basement giving them my 2cents on their plumbing
situation I noticed that only the kitchen & new bedroom had new NM
.....I was shocked to see the rest of the house is still K&T!

luckily my new neighbors are DINK's so they have $'s for rework when
they need it

I have K&T in my house as well but the wire is in amazifng shape...I
recently moved an outlet & pulled the wire from the wall just check the
condition. The stuff looked & felt great....nothing like the
condition one sees in a swtich box.

My goal is to remove all & replace with THHN/THWN in flex or emt.
Already have a modern Square D QO main panel & subs...so its just a
matter of time.

cheers
Bob