Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stupid question on dehumidifiers

Hi All,

I've got what seems a really stupid question. I've just purchased a De
Longhi DCN60 dehumidifier for my basement, but there's nothing in the
user guide on best practices in terms of usage. Do i leave the
dehumidifier permanently on? Do i leave it on for a few days a week? Do

i leave it on for a couple of hours a week?

Thanks,

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There are no stupid questions. Set the unit to achieve the desired humidy
level you want and leave it. It will run and turn off by itself

"kirkski" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I've got what seems a really stupid question. I've just purchased a De
Longhi DCN60 dehumidifier for my basement, but there's nothing in the
user guide on best practices in terms of usage. Do i leave the
dehumidifier permanently on? Do i leave it on for a few days a week? Do

i leave it on for a couple of hours a week?

Thanks,

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, it's supposed to be on a lot - enough to dry out the basement
anyway. You have to empty the water, or you can run it into a floor
drain if you have a floor drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"kirkski" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I've got what seems a really stupid question. I've just purchased a De
Longhi DCN60 dehumidifier for my basement, but there's nothing in the
user guide on best practices in terms of usage. Do i leave the
dehumidifier permanently on? Do i leave it on for a few days a week? Do

i leave it on for a couple of hours a week?

Thanks,

Steve.

Remember, a dehumidifier has a compressor in it similar to an air
conditioner. If running constantly not only will you run up a tremendous
electric bill but the coils will freeze up. Set the thermostat to a mid
position and go from there. If you need more dehumifying turn it up a little
at a time till you're satisfied. When I had a basement I started it at a
lower point and raised it slightly till I had the humidity level where I
wanted it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Manufacturer's Description
Weighing only 5.5kg, and only 17cm wide, the DNC60 is the lightest
dehumidifier in the market and amongst the most compact. Unlike most
dehumidifiers the DNC60 does not use a compressor, making it very quiet
in operation and also environmentally friendly, as no refrigerant gases
are required.
The built-in ionizer fills the air with healthy negative icons.
Furthermore, the anti-bacterial filter cleans the air of dust and
bacteria.
Other features include:
# Pull-up carry handle
# Electronic auto shut off timer (up to 8 hrs)
# 2 litre capacity tank
# Swing function: oscillating louvers to optimize the air distribution
# 3 power settings
# Electronic anti-freeze setting
Box Contents
# 1x Full Product instructions."

this unit may be discontinued or out of stock at amazon uk.

this unit appears to be a compact ionizer as opposed to a conventional
dehumidifier.

why is the basement damp?
some of these larger units you turn on and set for time or humidity
level and visit and dump the moisture collector into a basement sink or
drain.
you could get a transmitter that sends temperature and humidity
information to your receiver display in the home. often these may be
built into atomic wall clocks or weather indicators. you then could
plug the dehumidifier into a remote control so you can turn it on/off
from the home.
a regular dehumidifier will warm and dehumidify the basement. a
regular dehumidifier is a very close cousin to a window air conditioner
except the waste heat stays indoors along with the moisture usually in
a bucket which you preferably connect to a drain.
your desire for less humidity in the basement might be based on
excessive humidity due to basement shower, laundry appliances,
rainwater dampness, clothesline clothes drying, or foundation leaking.
depending on your climate and season, airing out the basement with
window fan in and window fan out on a dry low humidity outdoor day
might be a first step to get a head start before plugging in your
device.
[looks like your compact unit only pulls 2 liters of water out of the
air could it be more suitable as a bathroom ionizer?]
see:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-DNC...UTF8&s=kitchen

kirkski wrote:
Hi All,

I've got what seems a really stupid question. I've just purchased a De
Longhi DCN60 dehumidifier for my basement, but there's nothing in the
user guide on best practices in terms of usage. Do i leave the
dehumidifier permanently on? Do i leave it on for a few days a week? Do

i leave it on for a couple of hours a week?

Thanks,

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Nov 2006 07:33:22 -0800, "kirkski"
wrote:

Hi All,

I've got what seems a really stupid question. I've just purchased a De
Longhi DCN60 dehumidifier for my basement, but there's nothing in the
user guide on best practices in terms of usage. Do i leave the
dehumidifier permanently on? Do i leave it on for a few days a week? Do

i leave it on for a couple of hours a week?

Thanks,

Steve.

imho:

No very good question. This is what I was told.

50% relative no real mold problems due to humity.
50%-60% possible mold issues based on temp.
60% + Mold is a strong possiblity.

So mine is set for 50%. During the winter, I think you can adjust
that up due to temps, but then you need to find out for yourself.
I'm not a mold expert, just a parinoid home owner.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

kirkski wrote:
Hi All,

I've got what seems a really stupid question. I've just purchased a De
Longhi DCN60 dehumidifier for my basement, but there's nothing in the
user guide on best practices in terms of usage. Do i leave the
dehumidifier permanently on? Do i leave it on for a few days a week?
Do

i leave it on for a couple of hours a week?

Thanks,

Steve.

If you are not already confused, let me try to add a little.

As indicated it needs to run enough to reduce the humidity to the
desired level.

Most (all?) have a humidistat (not a thermostat) that is adjustable.
Most just have marks or if they have percentages, they are almost certainly
inaccurate. You will need to do some trial and error to find a good setting
for your situation. Likely you will want it as high as possible and still
control the humidity.

Most authorities (and myself who is not an authority) will suggest
trying to keep it between 40 - 60%. Below 40% you start getting static and
dry throat and above 60% mold likes to grow.

When you first turn it on, it may take several days or even a week or
more to bring the humidity down. Right now you likely have a lot of
moisture in the walls, floors furniture etc and that will need to be reduced
before things equalize. Also during the heating season, the process of
heating along with the cold air outside reduces the inside humidity so it
may not run as much during the winter as it will during the summer. Local
conditions can reverse that.

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Excellent points.
A window a/c, whether it is sitting smack dab in the middle of the room or
properly mounted in a window, is a dehumidifier. As are Amana-type
portables, etc.
The diff. is, I think, the coils in a dehumidifiers won't freeze up as quick
as in a regular A/C.
Also, on a really humid day, a real dehumidifier/A/C can crank out 5 gals of
water in 12 hours!! nearly pure water, as well.
As Buffalo pointed out, yours is not a "real" dehumidifier, and I would
seriously doubt it will do a good de-moisturizing job, esp. where damp
walls, furniture, joists, etc. might be involved.
If you have an old A/C lying around, or a window a/c you could take out for
the winter, finagle a drip pan w/ the A/C sitting on a milk crate, and
compare the two.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

oups.com...

kirkski wrote:
Hi All,

I've got what seems a really stupid question. I've just purchased a De
Longhi DCN60 dehumidifier for my basement, but there's nothing in the
user guide on best practices in terms of usage. Do i leave the
dehumidifier permanently on? Do i leave it on for a few days a week? Do

i leave it on for a couple of hours a week?

Thanks,

Steve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be more concerned with if it even would work in a basement. Most
dehumidifiers won't.