Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Stupid question on dehumidifiers

kirkski wrote:
Hi All,

I've got what seems a really stupid question. I've just purchased a De
Longhi DCN60 dehumidifier for my basement, but there's nothing in the
user guide on best practices in terms of usage. Do i leave the
dehumidifier permanently on? Do i leave it on for a few days a week?
Do

i leave it on for a couple of hours a week?

Thanks,

Steve.

If you are not already confused, let me try to add a little.

As indicated it needs to run enough to reduce the humidity to the
desired level.

Most (all?) have a humidistat (not a thermostat) that is adjustable.
Most just have marks or if they have percentages, they are almost certainly
inaccurate. You will need to do some trial and error to find a good setting
for your situation. Likely you will want it as high as possible and still
control the humidity.

Most authorities (and myself who is not an authority) will suggest
trying to keep it between 40 - 60%. Below 40% you start getting static and
dry throat and above 60% mold likes to grow.

When you first turn it on, it may take several days or even a week or
more to bring the humidity down. Right now you likely have a lot of
moisture in the walls, floors furniture etc and that will need to be reduced
before things equalize. Also during the heating season, the process of
heating along with the cold air outside reduces the inside humidity so it
may not run as much during the winter as it will during the summer. Local
conditions can reverse that.

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan