Posted to alt.home.repair

Default So the wires go on the inside....

I was poking around my basement, made all the more attractive now that
Seattle has broken 100 for 3 days straight (yeah I don't want to hear it
from all you hot climate people). Anyway I was contemplating putting up
some drywall, seeing as the walls don't have any. I noticed however that
the previous owner didn't bother to run the romex through the boards, but
rather stapled it on the side the drywall should go. I trust that I'll have
to pull that wire and re-route it through the studs before putting up
drywall.

I guess my question is, and I will get an inspector for this job as well,
but the wires should be routed through the middle of the wall stud -
correct?

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you put in a dropped cieling it doesnt matter since the wires would
be protected

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess my question is, and I will get an inspector for this job as well,
but the wires should be routed through the middle of the wall stud -
correct?

Through the middle of he stud, nail plate required when cable is
1-1/4in. of stud edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC"
wrote in message
ups.com...

I guess my question is, and I will get an inspector for this job as well,
but the wires should be routed through the middle of the wall stud -
correct?

Through the middle of he stud, nail plate required when cable is
1-1/4in. of stud edge.

So if the nail plates go on the outside of the stud, does that effect how
the wallboard sits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

just how does a drop ceiling have anything to do with wiring on wall studs?
I can agree with this if the OP had said anything about the ceiling, but he
specifically said walls.

wrote in message
ups.com...
if you put in a dropped cieling it doesnt matter since the wires would
be protected

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
"MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC"
wrote in message
ups.com...

I guess my question is, and I will get an inspector for this job as well,
but the wires should be routed through the middle of the wall stud -
correct?

Through the middle of he stud, nail plate required when cable is
1-1/4in. of stud edge.

So if the nail plates go on the outside of the stud, does that effect how
the wallboard sits.

Nah. Only if you get real unlucky and have one board end just on the
plate, and the next board not hit at all, resulting in a little 1mm
drop between boards. In that case, just stick a second plate under the
other board. Otherwise, the boards are plenty flexible to get around a
1mm bump with no noticeable change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
"MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC"
wrote in message
ups.com...

I guess my question is, and I will get an inspector for this job as
well,
but the wires should be routed through the middle of the wall stud -
correct?

Through the middle of he stud, nail plate required when cable is
1-1/4in. of stud edge.

So if the nail plates go on the outside of the stud, does that effect how
the wallboard sits.

They're thin enough where you won't even notice it.

Is drywall over basement walls in Washington a good idea? I would
think it may trap moisture.

Bob

Maybe I should have clarified, but it is the staircase that leads to the
basement that needs the drywall.

BTW: Since you mentioned it, assuming moisture is a problem, what else
would you put on the walls to cover up the studs and wiring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

EV,

Cloth treatments might be better than wallboard for the exterior walls.
Drapes, tapestries, hangings, et c.. Put dry wall on the interior walls to
create variety.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:13:50 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I was poking around my basement, made all the more attractive now that
Seattle has broken 100 for 3 days straight (yeah I don't want to hear it
from all you hot climate people). Anyway I was contemplating putting up
some drywall, seeing as the walls don't have any. I noticed however that
the previous owner didn't bother to run the romex through the boards, but
rather stapled it on the side the drywall should go. I trust that I'll have
to pull that wire and re-route it through the studs before putting up
drywall.

I guess my question is, and I will get an inspector for this job as well,
but the wires should be routed through the middle of the wall stud -
correct?

imho:

Depending on the stud size(2x4) and orientation(thinest edges facing
inside and out of the room), generally yes. The idea is to have the
wire(this case NM) atleast 1.25" from a nailing surface.

To save time, and provide you more insulation, have you thought of
picking up 2x2's and just notching out areas for the wire, and attach
them to the existing studs? This will provide you the insulation
potential of 2x6 construction(assuming the orginial is normal
studding). Also, if you want further nail protection, install nail
plates.

Now all this is based on teh limited description you provided, so only
use this for a starting point deciding what to do. Not a How-To.

hth,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was poking around my basement, made all the more attractive now that
Seattle has broken 100 for 3 days straight (yeah I don't want to hear it
from all you hot climate people). Anyway I was contemplating putting up
some drywall, seeing as the walls don't have any. I noticed however that
the previous owner didn't bother to run the romex through the boards, but
rather stapled it on the side the drywall should go. I trust that I'll have
to pull that wire and re-route it through the studs before putting up
drywall.

I guess my question is, and I will get an inspector for this job as well,
but the wires should be routed through the middle of the wall stud -
correct?

Ideally, yes. But you can run the wires along a board, pipe, or rail
that protects the wire. If the wire is out-of-code there are probably
other issues as well.