Walkway over wetland

Old August 29th 05, 02:56 PM
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Default Walkway over wetland

I have a home on 3/4 acre. The house is at north end of the property.
The rest is mostly grass. Except I have a small stream running
north to south just west of my house on my property. This is full of
trees/shrubs/etc. since the didnt cut that down to build my house/lawn.

This stream is basically like a marsh in that you dont see much running
water, just wetness. I like the trees and the water.

What I want to do is build a walkway that goes through the treed area,
over the marshland. I want it to go from the side of my house all the
way to the end of my property where I will put a screened in gazebo.
This is probably a 75 foot walk.

What type of company would build something like this? Can I call a deck
building company?

Thanks,

CL Gilbert
Old August 29th 05, 03:43 PM
Don Phillipson

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
news
What I want to do is build a walkway that goes through the treed area,
over the marshland. I want it to go from the side of my house all the
way to the end of my property where I will put a screened in gazebo.
This is probably a 75 foot walk.

If you have the timber available (especially cedar) you
could build a corduroy road, just logs trimmed of branches
and cut to road width e.g. 6 ft., laid on the swamp surface
and jammed tightly enough together that each log keeps
the neighbours in place. It would be uncomfortable to
walk on, and would not avoid wet feet, but is cheapest
and would permit you to push a wheelbarrow etc.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old August 29th 05, 04:16 PM
Norminn

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:
I have a home on 3/4 acre. The house is at north end of the property.
The rest is mostly grass. Except I have a small stream running north
to south just west of my house on my property. This is full of
trees/shrubs/etc. since the didnt cut that down to build my house/lawn.

This stream is basically like a marsh in that you dont see much running
water, just wetness. I like the trees and the water.

What I want to do is build a walkway that goes through the treed area,
over the marshland. I want it to go from the side of my house all the
way to the end of my property where I will put a screened in gazebo.
This is probably a 75 foot walk.

What type of company would build something like this? Can I call a deck
building company?

Thanks,

CL Gilbert

Marine construction? Here in Florida, there are lots of walkways built
over marshy or swampy areas. Without means of access to float in a
barge, perhaps a general contractor. If a general can't do it, they
certainly might refer you. Or call local building dept and ask them;
may need permits.

Old August 29th 05, 04:18 PM
Duane Bozarth

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote:

I have a home on 3/4 acre. The house is at north end of the property.
The rest is mostly grass. Except I have a small stream running
north to south just west of my house on my property. This is full of
trees/shrubs/etc. since the didnt cut that down to build my house/lawn.

This stream is basically like a marsh in that you dont see much running
water, just wetness. I like the trees and the water.

What I want to do is build a walkway that goes through the treed area,
over the marshland. I want it to go from the side of my house all the
way to the end of my property where I will put a screened in gazebo.
This is probably a 75 foot walk.

What type of company would build something like this? Can I call a deck
building company?

Thanks,

CL Gilbert

Is this a classified wetlands? If so, you may have a problem doing
anything. If not, a cheaper alternative might be to bring in some fill
and simply raise a pathway through...depends on how deep and mucky it
actually is, but could be significantly cheaper than builing a fully
supported walkway.
Old August 29th 05, 04:18 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
What I want to do is build a walkway that goes through the treed area,
over the marshland. I want it to go from the side of my house all the way
to the end of my property where I will put a screened in gazebo. This is
probably a 75 foot walk.

What type of company would build something like this? Can I call a deck
building company?

I'd try a deck builder. You may want to check if there are any regulations
abut building around the marsh if it is deemed to be "wetlands". Even though
it is your property there may be some limits to what you can do.

Old August 29th 05, 07:58 PM
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Is this a classified wetlands? If so, you may have a problem doing
anything. If not, a cheaper alternative might be to bring in some fill
and simply raise a pathway through...depends on how deep and mucky it
actually is, but could be significantly cheaper than builing a fully
supported walkway.

I wanted the walkway for the looks of it. Also want to be sure the
water flow is not impeedes as I ot enough water pumping out of my
basement as it is :P

Im not sure if its classified as wetlands. Its really not that big so I
doubt it. its just a small path that the water takes mainly after
rains, but also continuously. If it is wetlands and they try to
restrict what I can do, thats cool to so long as they want to give me a
property tax break!

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
and a robber."

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD 19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D
Old August 29th 05, 08:02 PM
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Red Cloud© wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:56:20 -0400, "CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"
wrote:

I have a home on 3/4 acre. The house is at north end of the property.
The rest is mostly grass. Except I have a small stream running
north to south just west of my house on my property. This is full of
trees/shrubs/etc. since the didnt cut that down to build my house/lawn.

This stream is basically like a marsh in that you dont see much running
water, just wetness. I like the trees and the water.

What I want to do is build a walkway that goes through the treed area,
over the marshland. I want it to go from the side of my house all the
way to the end of my property where I will put a screened in gazebo.
This is probably a 75 foot walk.

What type of company would build something like this? Can I call a deck
building company?

Thanks,

CL Gilbert

Are you sure this isn't a failed septic system?

rusty redcloud

Well, it is helped to stay wet by the water pumped out of my and my 2
neighbors basements. But no, its where the water flows. I can trace it
to the street in front of my house, and follow the path further if i was
patient enough. The water table is high in my area but the homes are
new and no septic systems are present. Some of the older homes may have
them though.

Its a stream, but the land gets flat toward the back of my house so it
spreads out and the ground is kind of marshy.

Old August 29th 05, 08:03 PM
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message

What I want to do is build a walkway that goes through the treed area,
over the marshland. I want it to go from the side of my house all the way
to the end of my property where I will put a screened in gazebo. This is
probably a 75 foot walk.

What type of company would build something like this? Can I call a deck
building company?

I'd try a deck builder. You may want to check if there are any regulations
abut building around the marsh if it is deemed to be "wetlands". Even though
it is your property there may be some limits to what you can do.

I already know cutting trees down is off limits. Unless they have the
ash borer. So could be some regulations. I don't intend to disturb the
flow though. Ill check with the City.

Old August 29th 05, 08:15 PM
Vic Dura

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:18:07 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote Re Walkway over wetland:

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote:

[...]

Really. If it is, or can be, classified as wetland; start thinking in
terms of applying for (but not getting) permits from the Army Corps of
Engineers, the EPA and probably state agencies as well.

The last time I read anything about "wet land" designations, the
Supreme's were being pretty liberal and confiscatory about it. If you
spit on the ground and it takes more than 30-seconds to dry. Then it's
a wet land.

If not, a cheaper alternative might be to bring in some fill
and simply raise a pathway through...depends on how deep and mucky it
actually is, but could be significantly cheaper than builing a fully
supported walkway.

Seriously though, Duane has a good suggestion there.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
Old August 29th 05, 08:39 PM

I wanted the walkway for the looks of it. Also want to be sure the
water flow is not impeedes as I ot enough water pumping out of my basement
as it is :P

Im not sure if its classified as wetlands. Its really not that big so I
doubt it. its just a small path that the water takes mainly after rains,
but also continuously. If it is wetlands and they try to restrict what I
can do, thats cool to so long as they want to give me a property tax
break!

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

My first thought seeing your post was that such a walkway could really look
nice. Depending on the size of your town, you may or may not have to deal
with a separate wetlands dept, or it could be another job for the zoning
folks. At any rate, you should be able to find the wetlands regs for your
area on the net. I really doubt that an elevated walkway over a vernal
stream would be a prohibited activity, and the fact that the walkway would
allow you access to more of your own property would likely void the
prohibition on such a small lot. If the actual waterway part isn't that
big, you'll be best off just spanning it anyhow, so for that part of your
walk you'd need a rigid structure (ie, a bridge). If you get grief, tell
them it's a dock, because docks are allowed. In your case, it would be two
docks; one from each side.

good luck,

As to your question - I'd guess a landscaper might do better than a deck
builder for this application. Just ask around.