jeffc

Default Problem with paving stones on short walkway

Hi, I'm going to be putting in a little walkway in our new house between the
sidewalk and the street. Here's a picture of the area.
http://home.nc.rr.com/jconnelly/PICT0064.JPG
The walkway will be a little wider than what I've dug out so far. I'll be
putting in paving stones of some sort, with gravel underlayment and sand on
top of that. The problem is in the upper right corner of that area.
http://home.nc.rr.com/jconnelly/PICT0065.JPG
The walkway will go inside the large metal cover, but there is the drain
cover for our sewer connection. This needs to be reachable somehow. I can
either build around it and put some contraption over it, or just support it
somehow and put a stone right on top of it. Then I'll just remember where
it is in case I need access. Probably will be using 12" square stones.

Suggestions?

CR

"jeffc" wrote in message
om...
[...]

If it is low enough I would just put the pavers on top and then mark the
curb using a brick hammer or hammer and chisel to indicate where the clean
out is. It is common to mark a curb or building foundation with an arrow and
2' if the cleanout is 2' from the wall/curb.

CR

Fred

"jeffc" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I'm going to be putting in a little walkway in our new house between
the sidewalk and the street. Here's a picture of the area.
http://home.nc.rr.com/jconnelly/PICT0064.JPG
The walkway will be a little wider than what I've dug out so far. I'll be
putting in paving stones of some sort, with gravel underlayment and sand
on top of that. The problem is in the upper right corner of that area.
http://home.nc.rr.com/jconnelly/PICT0065.JPG
The walkway will go inside the large metal cover, but there is the drain
cover for our sewer connection. This needs to be reachable somehow. I
can either build around it and put some contraption over it, or just
support it somehow and put a stone right on top of it. Then I'll just
remember where it is in case I need access. Probably will be using 12"
square stones.

Suggestions?

Did this a few years ago. The concrete box broke but my utility company gave
me a new box and cover and I installer it where the top of the cover is 1/4"
above the top of the pavers. Setting up the box and cutting the pavers
around it was a PIA but looks great once its finished. Same for the sewer
drain and extension is available so you could install flush with the top of
the pavers.

You could avoid all this by adjusting the pathway away from the box and
drain as an option.

jeffc

"Fred" wrote in message

Did this a few years ago. The concrete box broke but my utility company
gave me a new box and cover

What concrete box? I'm not sure what you mean.

You could avoid all this by adjusting the pathway away from the box and
drain as an option.

Not really an option - it's right at the bottom of some stairs.

Fred

"jeffc" wrote in message
. com...

"Fred" wrote in message

Did this a few years ago. The concrete box broke but my utility company
gave me a new box and cover

What concrete box? I'm not sure what you mean.

What is below the metal cover on the second pic far right? Usually a precast
concrete box but could be anything without seeing it?

You could avoid all this by adjusting the pathway away from the box and
drain as an option.

Not really an option - it's right at the bottom of some stairs.

Flattening Shapton stones: Shapton DRLP vs. DMT Diamond Plates [email protected] Woodworking 13 May 6th 05 04:17 PM
Shapton Water Stones J Woodworking 15 December 16th 04 06:11 PM
Short Cycling Boiler Nigel Percy UK diy 20 November 27th 03 02:29 PM
Toshiba vertical problem David Wolff Electronics Repair 1 July 18th 03 09:41 PM