toller

Default Fixing a broken window crank

I don't know anything about windows; not even the proper terminology.

My house is 23 years old. The windows have a crank and open sideways. The
only word I can find on them is "Truth". Doing a google search, it is not
clear if that is a window manufacturer or not.
A really lousy picture of the crank is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg
Apparently I don't know much about using cameras either.

One window, the one we open most of course, is broken. The crank just turns
and nothing happens. Presumably a piece of the mechanism is broken.

So, how do I go about fixing this? Is Truth a window manufacturer? Are
they still in business? How do I get parts? How do I take it apart to
install the parts?

Thanks much

Rick

"toller" wrote in message
[...]

Go to one of the home centers and look for casement window crank
replacements. Removal should be obvious. Remove the crank handle, the
cover will come off, and the screws holding the mechanism to the
window frame will be exposed...

tom

Toller wrote:I don't know anything about windows; not even the proper
terminology.
My house is 23 years old. The windows have a crank and open sideways.
The
only word I can find on them is "Truth". Doing a google search, it is
not
clear if that is a window manufacturer or not.
A really lousy picture of the crank is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg
Apparently I don't know much about using cameras either.
One window, the one we open most of course, is broken. The crank just
turns
and nothing happens. Presumably a piece of the mechanism is broken.
So, how do I go about fixing this? Is Truth a window manufacturer?
Are
they still in business? How do I get parts? How do I take it apart to

install the parts?

Should be a couple/few screws attaching the body to the window frame.
Open the window, remove 'em, and the whole thing should wiggle out of
the window. Look at what you're doing, and you'll figure it out. The
arm will slide out the channel on the bottom of the window. Measure the
length from the pivot pin to the end of the arm, either 8 or 9 inches,
usually. Right or left handed. Go to the hardware store, and buy a new
one. Of course, if the sill's been tiled, or built up in any way,
things will be tougher... Tom

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

tom wrote:
Should be a couple/few screws attaching the body to the window frame.
Open the window, remove 'em, and the whole thing should wiggle out of
the window. Look at what you're doing, and you'll figure it out. The
arm will slide out the channel on the bottom of the window. Measure the
length from the pivot pin to the end of the arm, either 8 or 9 inches,
usually. Right or left handed. Go to the hardware store, and buy a new
one. Of course, if the sill's been tiled, or built up in any way,
things will be tougher... Tom

I had similar problems with an Andersen casement window recently... it opened OK
but the gears would slip horribly when I tried to close it.

Complicating things was the fact that the mechanism had been installed in a
mortise within the trim... made it very difficult to release the mechanism in
order to replace it without possibly chewing up the trim. What I found once I
got it exposed though was that the mechanism was held together by two nuts and
bolts.... and they were loose. Once I tightened them back up the mechanism
worked just fine. I didn't spend a dime on the repair.

Don't be so quick to order a replacement until you know for a fact one is
needed.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

C & M

In lieu of replacement you could always remove the assemble from a window
which you never open and exchange the parts. Of course, finding the company
and doing a true repair is the better way. You might just try a window
replacement company with parts in hand and see if they have a compatable
part - Lowe's or HD are a possibility too.

"toller" wrote in message
I don't know anything about windows; not even the proper terminology.

My house is 23 years old. The windows have a crank and open sideways.

The
only word I can find on them is "Truth". Doing a google search, it is not
clear if that is a window manufacturer or not.
A really lousy picture of the crank is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg
Apparently I don't know much about using cameras either.

One window, the one we open most of course, is broken. The crank just

turns
and nothing happens. Presumably a piece of the mechanism is broken.

So, how do I go about fixing this? Is Truth a window manufacturer? Are
they still in business? How do I get parts? How do I take it apart to
install the parts?

Thanks much

EXT

"Truth" is the name of the hardware manufacturer not the window maker, I
know they have a website because I accessed it a few years ago to find a
replacement for one of mine that broke. It is www.truth.com. I found a
catalog to identify mine, and a list of distributors, some in my area of
Canada, where I got an exact replacement.

"toller" wrote in message
I don't know anything about windows; not even the proper terminology.

My house is 23 years old. The windows have a crank and open sideways.

The
only word I can find on them is "Truth". Doing a google search, it is

not
clear if that is a window manufacturer or not.
A really lousy picture of the crank is at:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg
Apparently I don't know much about using cameras either.

One window, the one we open most of course, is broken. The crank just

turns
and nothing happens. Presumably a piece of the mechanism is broken.

So, how do I go about fixing this? Is Truth a window manufacturer? Are
they still in business? How do I get parts? How do I take it apart to
install the parts?

Thanks much

Colbyt

"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...
"Truth" is the name of the hardware manufacturer not the window maker, I
know they have a website because I accessed it a few years ago to find a
replacement for one of mine that broke. It is www.truth.com. I found a
catalog to identify mine, and a list of distributors, some in my area of
Canada, where I got an exact replacement.

This is accurate information. The Truth brand is available in a lot of
places. There may be an ID # on your "operator" to identify the exact part
you need. Blaine Windows at www.blainewindow.com stocks the replacement
parts. I'm sure other companies do also but I always like to give a free
plug to companies that have treated me right.

Colbyt

toller

I appreciated everyones help on this; especially about finding Truth at
Truth.com...

Sadly, the screws are below the molding, and the side molding prevents
removing the bottom molding so it all has to be ripped apart to get at it.
If I want to swap hardware from an unused window, that means ripping apart
two windows.

I will get at it some day.

Luke

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:28:02 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I appreciated everyones help on this; especially about finding Truth at
Truth.com...

Sadly, the screws are below the molding, and the side molding prevents
removing the bottom molding so it all has to be ripped apart to get at it.
If I want to swap hardware from an unused window, that means ripping apart
two windows.

I will get at it some day.

Some dumb, perhaps much too obvious, questions: Is the handle rotating
on the geared shaft, is the handle set screw loose? Has the geared
shaft the handle sits on backed out so it's not engaging the gear in
the body? Can you tighten it back down into the body?

--
Luke