Mortimer Schnerd, RN

tom wrote:
Should be a couple/few screws attaching the body to the window frame.
Open the window, remove 'em, and the whole thing should wiggle out of
the window. Look at what you're doing, and you'll figure it out. The
arm will slide out the channel on the bottom of the window. Measure the
length from the pivot pin to the end of the arm, either 8 or 9 inches,
usually. Right or left handed. Go to the hardware store, and buy a new
one. Of course, if the sill's been tiled, or built up in any way,
things will be tougher... Tom

I had similar problems with an Andersen casement window recently... it opened OK
but the gears would slip horribly when I tried to close it.

Complicating things was the fact that the mechanism had been installed in a
mortise within the trim... made it very difficult to release the mechanism in
order to replace it without possibly chewing up the trim. What I found once I
got it exposed though was that the mechanism was held together by two nuts and
bolts.... and they were loose. Once I tightened them back up the mechanism
worked just fine. I didn't spend a dime on the repair.

Don't be so quick to order a replacement until you know for a fact one is
needed.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE