Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book

I have been building spice models to explore some of the
early linear devices shown in this old data book (back when
National was so proud of their new stuff that they showed
you how they did it). Many do not work by just dropping
generic parts into the schematic, without doing some device
scaling (that is not always shown). But the LM78xx positive
voltage regulator worked fine with no such fiddling.

I am trying to understand how the temperature compensated
voltage reference and error amplifier works. It is not a
structure I recognize as a combination of text book
sections, but does quite a lot with a few devices. I have
attached a screen capture of the schematic (slightly
rearranged from the data book picture , to help me see
function), and the LTspice .asc file.

The part that has captured my attention is Q8,9,11,13 that I
think makes up the heart of the reference voltage generator
and error amplifier, all nicely temperature compensated.

Does anyone recognize a particular designer's tricks, here?
I think this is pretty elegant, if not so obvious.

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Version 4
SHEET 1 1224 928
WIRE -736 -512 -832 -512
WIRE -640 -512 -736 -512
WIRE -448 -512 -640 -512
WIRE 224 -512 -448 -512
WIRE 336 -512 224 -512
WIRE 448 -512 448 -528
WIRE 448 -512 336 -512
WIRE -832 -496 -832 -512
WIRE -640 -496 -640 -512
WIRE -448 -496 -448 -512
WIRE 224 -480 224 -512
WIRE -576 -448 -768 -448
WIRE -544 -448 -576 -448
WIRE -512 -448 -544 -448
WIRE -544 -384 -544 -448
WIRE -448 -384 -448 -400
WIRE -448 -384 -544 -384
WIRE 336 -384 336 -512
WIRE -640 -336 -640 -400
WIRE 32 -336 -640 -336
WIRE 128 -336 32 -336
WIRE 272 -336 128 -336
WIRE 448 -336 448 -512
WIRE 32 -320 32 -336
WIRE 224 -288 224 -400
WIRE 384 -288 336 -288
WIRE 336 -272 336 -288
WIRE 32 -224 32 -240
WIRE 32 -224 -64 -224
WIRE 128 -224 128 -336
WIRE -64 -208 -64 -224
WIRE 224 -176 224 -224
WIRE 224 -176 192 -176
WIRE 240 -176 224 -176
WIRE 336 -176 336 -192
WIRE 336 -176 320 -176
WIRE 448 -176 448 -240
WIRE 448 -176 336 -176
WIRE 32 -160 32 -224
WIRE 448 -144 448 -176
WIRE -544 -112 -544 -384
WIRE -64 -112 -64 -128
WIRE -32 -112 -64 -112
WIRE 128 -48 128 -128
WIRE 128 -48 -256 -48
WIRE 448 -48 448 -64
WIRE 448 -48 128 -48
WIRE 496 -48 448 -48
WIRE 448 -32 448 -48
WIRE -448 16 -448 -384
WIRE -256 16 -256 -48
WIRE -192 64 -384 64
WIRE 448 64 448 48
WIRE 448 64 -192 64
WIRE -544 112 -544 -32
WIRE -448 112 -544 112
WIRE -256 112 -352 112
WIRE -256 128 -256 112
WIRE -448 144 -448 112
WIRE -544 224 -544 112
WIRE -256 224 -256 208
WIRE -160 224 -256 224
WIRE -64 224 -64 -112
WIRE -64 224 -96 224
WIRE -448 272 -448 224
WIRE -448 272 -480 272
WIRE -64 288 -64 224
WIRE -64 288 -160 288
WIRE -736 304 -736 -512
WIRE -448 304 -448 272
WIRE 448 304 448 64
WIRE -256 336 -256 224
WIRE -224 336 -256 336
WIRE -64 336 -64 288
WIRE -832 352 -832 -400
WIRE -800 352 -832 352
WIRE -352 368 -352 112
WIRE -128 384 -160 384
WIRE -160 400 -160 384
WIRE -736 416 -736 400
WIRE -448 416 -448 384
WIRE -416 416 -448 416
WIRE -256 416 -256 336
WIRE -832 464 -832 352
WIRE -640 464 -640 -336
WIRE -448 464 -448 416
WIRE -320 464 -352 464
WIRE -160 496 -160 480
WIRE -96 496 -160 496
WIRE -736 512 -736 496
WIRE -704 512 -736 512
WIRE -544 512 -544 320
WIRE -512 512 -544 512
WIRE -352 512 -352 464
WIRE -96 512 -96 496
WIRE -736 528 -736 512
WIRE -544 528 -544 512
WIRE -256 528 -256 512
WIRE -160 560 -160 496
WIRE -832 624 -832 528
WIRE -736 624 -736 608
WIRE -736 624 -832 624
WIRE -640 624 -640 560
WIRE -640 624 -736 624
WIRE -544 624 -544 608
WIRE -544 624 -640 624
WIRE -448 624 -448 560
WIRE -448 624 -544 624
WIRE -352 624 -352 592
WIRE -352 624 -448 624
WIRE -256 624 -256 608
WIRE -256 624 -352 624
WIRE -96 624 -96 608
WIRE -96 624 -256 624
WIRE -64 624 -64 432
WIRE -64 624 -96 624
WIRE 32 624 32 -64
WIRE 32 624 -64 624
WIRE 448 624 448 384
WIRE 448 624 32 624
WIRE 480 624 448 624
WIRE 448 656 448 624
FLAG 448 656 0
FLAG 448 -528 in
FLAG 480 624 ref
FLAG 496 -48 out
FLAG 528 240 0
FLAG 528 160 out
FLAG 528 -384 0
FLAG 528 -464 in
SYMBOL res -560 -128 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 30K
SYMBOL res -464 128 R0
SYMATTR InstName R2
SYMATTR Value 1K9
SYMBOL res -464 288 R0
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value 26
SYMBOL res -560 512 R0
SYMATTR InstName R4
SYMATTR Value 1K2
SYMBOL res -368 496 R0
WINDOW 0 -24 24 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -54 66 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName R5
SYMATTR Value 12K1
SYMBOL res -272 512 R0
WINDOW 0 -21 21 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -34 64 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName R6
SYMATTR Value 1K
SYMBOL res -272 112 R0
SYMATTR InstName R7
SYMATTR Value 17K
SYMBOL res -176 384 R0
SYMATTR InstName R8
SYMATTR Value 4K
SYMBOL res -80 -224 R0
WINDOW 0 -37 34 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -35 76 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName R9
SYMATTR Value 4K
SYMBOL res 16 -336 R0
WINDOW 0 -45 27 Left 0
WINDOW 3 -37 68 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName R10
SYMATTR Value 1K
SYMBOL res -752 400 R0
WINDOW 0 40 40 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName R11
SYMATTR Value 3K4
SYMBOL res -752 512 R0
SYMATTR InstName R12
SYMATTR Value 200
SYMBOL res 208 -496 R0
SYMATTR InstName R13
SYMATTR Value 10K
SYMBOL res 336 -192 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0
SYMATTR InstName R14
SYMATTR Value 230
SYMBOL res 320 -288 R0
SYMATTR InstName R15
SYMATTR Value 2K
SYMBOL res 432 -160 R0
SYMATTR InstName R16
SYMATTR Value 300m
SYMBOL res 432 -48 R0
SYMATTR InstName R17
SYMATTR Value 910
SYMBOL res 432 288 R0
SYMATTR InstName R18
SYMATTR Value 2K6
SYMBOL cap -160 240 R270
WINDOW 0 32 32 VTop 0
WINDOW 3 0 32 VBottom 0
SYMATTR InstName C1
SYMATTR Value 20p
SYMBOL pnp -512 -400 M180
SYMATTR InstName Q1
SYMBOL pnp -768 -400 R180
SYMATTR InstName Q2
SYMBOL pnp -576 -400 R180
SYMATTR InstName Q3
SYMBOL pnp -32 -64 M180
WINDOW 0 56 23 Left 0
WINDOW 3 61 68 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName Q4
SYMBOL npn -800 304 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q5
SYMBOL npn -704 464 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q6
SYMBOL npn 192 -224 M0
SYMATTR InstName Q7
SYMBOL npn -384 16 M0
SYMATTR InstName Q8
SYMBOL npn -480 224 M0
SYMATTR InstName Q9
SYMBOL npn -192 16 M0
SYMATTR InstName Q10
SYMBOL npn -512 464 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q11
SYMBOL npn -416 368 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q12
SYMBOL npn -320 416 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q13
SYMBOL npn -224 288 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q14
SYMBOL npn -160 512 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q15
SYMBOL npn 272 -384 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q16
SYMBOL npn 384 -336 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q17
SYMBOL zener -816 528 R180
WINDOW 0 24 72 Left 0
WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName D1
SYMATTR Value BZX84C6V2L
SYMBOL zener 240 -224 R180
WINDOW 0 24 72 Left 0
WINDOW 3 24 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName D2
SYMATTR Value BZX84C6V2L
SYMBOL npn -128 336 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q18
SYMBOL res 512 144 R0
SYMATTR InstName R19
SYMATTR Value 50
SYMBOL voltage 528 -480 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 40 0 1)
TEXT 536 312 Left 0 !.tran 1
TEXT 184 176 Left 0 ;Vout R17\n5V 910\n6V 1k6\n8V 3k\n10V 4k4 \n12V 5k8\n15V 7k9\n18V 10k\n24V 14k2

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-lm78xx_schematic-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 08:20:52 -0400, John Popelish
wrote:

[...]

Splitting hairs, but the Nat Semi original regulator part numbers were
LM104 (204, 304), LM105 (205, 305), 109, 117, 120 etc. The 78xx
nomenclature (and pinout) were Eairchild (uA78xx).

You're refering to the 'Widlar diode' that was developed and employed
in these parts (inventor Robert Widlar). There should be plenty of
stuff out there, as it's in most integrated circuit design course
notes. Check some of Robert Pease's articles - he assumed the role of
'emperor' or policeman of band-gap' reference implimentation at Nat
Semi.

The published schematics were never intended to be anything more than
conceptual, as the cell device characterisrics and scaling are part of
basic reference function and temperature compensation.

RL
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

http://www.national.com/rap/Applicat...570,24,00.html
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

legg wrote:

Splitting hairs, but the Nat Semi original regulator part numbers were
LM104 (204, 304), LM105 (205, 305), 109, 117, 120 etc. The 78xx
nomenclature (and pinout) were Eairchild (uA78xx).

Understood. I started with the 78 78 series first, because
they are more common, today, and I hoped to make some models
I could throw into practical simulations. But I intend to
look into the LM140 series, too.

You're refering to the 'Widlar diode' that was developed and employed
in these parts (inventor Robert Widlar). There should be plenty of
stuff out there, as it's in most integrated circuit design course
notes. Check some of Robert Pease's articles - he assumed the role of
'emperor' or policeman of band-gap' reference implimentation at Nat
Semi.

Thanks for the leads.

The published schematics were never intended to be anything more than
conceptual, as the cell device characterisrics and scaling are part of
basic reference function and temperature compensation.

Trying to go from the simplified schematics to a working
spice model is part of the fun. I found what I think are an
error and a scaling omission on the LM79XX schematic before
I got it to work, at all. But it is about twice as
complicated as the LM78XX schematic.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

legg wrote:

http://www.national.com/rap/Applicat...570,24,00.html

Which of the example structures in this reference do you
think is most closely related to the one I showed for the
LM78XX? None look similar to my not so educated eye.

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:54:22 -0400, John Popelish
wrote:

legg wrote:

http://www.national.com/rap/Applicat...570,24,00.html

Which of the example structures in this reference do you
think is most closely related to the one I showed for the
LM78XX? None look similar to my not so educated eye.

I think RAP's comments on modelling pitfalls might be more relevant.

The bandgap of the simplified LM113 seems more easily visible in
3-term adjustable regulators, even maintaining the 1v22 ref terminal
voltage.

The fixed regulator actually produces ~4V on it's internal regulation
node (jn R17 and R18 of your circuit). Identifying the rich (small)
and starved (large) junctions of the actual reference and those of the
curve correction circuit is beyond me, but in principle it's R6
current, and the internal amplification of R7/R6 + Vxn, that set up
the regulation at this node. Deviations cause the q14/q18 darlington
to starve the pass regulator element.

RL
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book - Linear Voltage Regulators Roy Ferranti APN27.pdf (0/1)

wrote:

legg wrote:

http://www.national.com/rap/Applicat...570,24,00.html

Which of the example structures in this reference do you
think is most closely related to the one I showed for the
LM78XX? None look similar to my not so educated eye.

I found an example of Band-Gap regulator reference bootstrapping in an
old design note from ~'83. This is Ferranti APN-27 by Bill Roy. Figure
3-7 shows a regular bandgap arrangement, while fogure 3-8 shows
bootstrapping similar to the 780x series.

RL
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book - Linear Voltage Regulators Roy Ferranti APN27.pdf (1/1)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Linear Voltage Regulators Roy Ferranti APN27.pdf (239.4 KB, 144 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

legg wrote:
John Popelish wrote:

http://www.national.com/rap/Applicat...570,24,00.html
Which of the example structures in this reference do you
think is most closely related to the one I showed for the
LM78XX? None look similar to my not so educated eye.

I found an example of Band-Gap regulator reference bootstrapping in an
old design note from ~'83. This is Ferranti APN-27 by Bill Roy. Figure
3-7 shows a regular bandgap arrangement, while fogure 3-8 shows
bootstrapping similar to the 780x series.

Thanks for this document. It is rare in its explanation of
an internal detail of IC operation. It is the sort of thing
I have been looking for in my efforts to understand and
model these linear regulators.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:59:46 -0400, John Popelish
wrote:

legg wrote:
John Popelish wrote:

http://www.national.com/rap/Applicat...570,24,00.html
Which of the example structures in this reference do you
think is most closely related to the one I showed for the
LM78XX? None look similar to my not so educated eye.

I found an example of Band-Gap regulator reference bootstrapping in an
old design note from ~'83. This is Ferranti APN-27 by Bill Roy. Figure
3-7 shows a regular bandgap arrangement, while fogure 3-8 shows
bootstrapping similar to the 780x series.

Thanks for this document. It is rare in its explanation of
an internal detail of IC operation. It is the sort of thing
I have been looking for in my efforts to understand and
model these linear regulators.

For the next few days, the rest of the AN is uploaded to:

http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-01.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-02.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-03.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-04.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-05.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-06.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-07.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-08.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-09.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-10.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-11.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-12.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-13.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-14.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-15.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-16.jpg

At 1M a page; couldn't get these smaller without loosing drawing
detail, in any format.

RL

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

legg wrote:

For the next few days, the rest of the AN is uploaded to:

http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-01.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-02.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-03.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-04.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-05.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-06.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-07.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-08.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-09.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-10.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-11.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-12.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-13.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-14.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-15.jpg
http://www.magma.ca/~legg/TVS/apn27-16.jpg

At 1M a page; couldn't get these smaller without loosing drawing
detail, in any format.

Thanks. Got them.

For future reference, if you save as GIF or PNG, instead of
JPG, you won't get those little fuzzy speckles around the
edges of sharp lines.

I cleaned those artifacts off, smoothed and broadened the
lines, cropped the holes off and saved as 16 level gray
scale GIFs, and no page was over 450k.

I have attached an example.

I have attached an example

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-p16-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

BobW wrote:

Damn! My server won't let me post even a 4MB file. If I compress the images
any more (e.g. to 1MB total file size), it looks terrible.

Maybe someone else can give it a try. Anyone?...Anyone?....Bueller?

If I lower the resolution of my cleaned up versions, they
come out to about 130k per page. Would these help?
Attached is page 1.

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-01-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

For the benefit of anyone who wants to download these pages,
here, I have decided to upload all the rest of the 16 pages
at half resolution (each page about 130k), 1 page per post.

--
Regards,

John Popelish

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-02-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-03-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-04-gif

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-05-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-06-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-07-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-08-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-09-gif

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-10-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-11-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-12-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-13-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-14-gif

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-15-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Attached Thumbnails
LM78XX schematic from 1978 National Semi Linear Data Book-apn27-16-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"legg" wrote in message

At 1M a page; couldn't get these smaller without loosing drawing
detail, in any format.

How big would a PDF be? I don't know how their compression compares.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

How big would a PDF be? I don't know how their compression compares.

My cleaned up, cropped and half size versions are about
1/8th M each, so if the PDF compression factor is about the
same as GIF compression, the whole 16 pages should take
about 2 M if made with my copies.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2008-08-22, John Popelish wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

How big would a PDF be? I don't know how their compression compares.

My cleaned up, cropped and half size versions are about
1/8th M each, so if the PDF compression factor is about the
same as GIF compression, the whole 16 pages should take
about 2 M if made with my copies.

I did only colour reduction (to 4 colours) and produced a 3.6 meg PDF at
the original resolution (down from 11 meg)

reducing the number of pixels by 75% got me only a 3% reduction in size.
(and it looked ugly when zoomed)

PDF lossless compression (deflate based) seems about as good as gif
(LZW based).

When I used 2 bit EPS files to produce the pdf I got the very close to
the same size as the sum of the gifs of the pages.

Bye.
Jasen

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jasen Betts" wrote in message

I did only colour reduction (to 4 colours) and produced a 3.6 meg PDF
at the original resolution (down from 11 meg)

Can they be reduced to 2-color, or doesn't PDF support that?

reducing the number of pixels by 75% got me only a 3% reduction in
size. (and it looked ugly when zoomed)

PDF lossless compression (deflate based) seems about as good as gif
(LZW based).

When I used 2 bit EPS files to produce the pdf I got the very close to
the same size as the sum of the gifs of the pages.

Can you post those PDFs please?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

I did only colour reduction (to 4 colours) and produced a 3.6 meg PDF
at the original resolution (down from 11 meg)

Can they be reduced to 2-color, or doesn't PDF support that?

A scan of black and white material generally looks awful if
reduced to two colors. You need a few shades of gray to
smooth out the edges. 4 or 16 shades of gray (2 or 4 bits
per pixel) usually is enough to improve appearance a lot.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

I did only colour reduction (to 4 colours) and produced a 3.6 meg PDF
at the original resolution (down from 11 meg)

Can they be reduced to 2-color, or doesn't PDF support that?

I tried that, but it made the edges very harsh looking.
and didn't give much gain over 4 colour.

reducing the number of pixels by 75% got me only a 3% reduction in
size. (and it looked ugly when zoomed)

PDF lossless compression (deflate based) seems about as good as gif
(LZW based).

When I used 2 bit EPS files to produce the pdf I got the very close to
the same size as the sum of the gifs of the pages.

Can you post those PDFs please?

yeah, will do.
I've never posted such a large binary i'm just today
figuring out how to drive newspost.

g8mg8u$hg1$2@gonzo

Bye.
Jasen

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2008-08-22, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Can you post those PDFs please?

yeah, will do.
I've never posted such a large binary i'm just today
figuring out how to drive newspost.

Looks great. Thanks.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

legg wrote:

http://www.national.com/rap/Applicat...570,24,00.html

Which of the example structures in this reference do you
think is most closely related to the one I showed for the
LM78XX? None look similar to my not so educated eye.

I found an example of Band-Gap regulator reference bootstrapping in an
old design note from ~'83. This is Ferranti APN-27 by Bill Roy. Figure
3-7 shows a regular bandgap arrangement, while fogure 3-8 shows
bootstrapping similar to the 780x series.

RL

See...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BandGap.pdf
http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BandGapExample.pdf
http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Ba...RealSample.pdf
http://analog-innovations.com/SED/CA3046-BandGap.pdf

I have literally designed over 1000 BandGap references over the
years... they vary with process, operating voltage and current, and
how fast they can be enabled.

Of course I can't show most of them because of NDA restrictions.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Common Values
Common Purpose
Common Ignorance
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

See...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BandGap.pdf
http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BandGapExample.pdf
http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Ba...RealSample.pdf
http://analog-innovations.com/SED/CA3046-BandGap.pdf

I have literally designed over 1000 BandGap references over the
years... they vary with process, operating voltage and current, and
how fast they can be enabled.

Of course I can't show most of them because of NDA restrictions.

Thanks for all these examples. It is beginning to look like
every time is see an inexplicable glob of transistors in an
IC, it turns out to be a bandgap reference.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:59:35 -0400, John Popelish
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

See...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BandGap.pdf
http://analog-innovations.com/SED/BandGapExample.pdf
http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Ba...RealSample.pdf
http://analog-innovations.com/SED/CA3046-BandGap.pdf

I have literally designed over 1000 BandGap references over the
years... they vary with process, operating voltage and current, and
how fast they can be enabled.

Of course I can't show most of them because of NDA restrictions.

Thanks for all these examples. It is beginning to look like
every time is see an inexplicable glob of transistors in an
IC, it turns out to be a bandgap reference.

To keep me amused, post schematics, and I'll post a follow-up analysis
of how it works ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |