Angry redrow homeowner

Default Redrow Homes - Roofing Problems

A large number of houses (approx 50%) of the houses on the estate I
live on lost roof tiles in the high winds over the weekend. Whilst I
accept the winds were quite high, very few other houses in the area
lost any tiles at all. Every time there is any moderate to high winds,
some houses loose tiles.
The majority of the houses affected lost tiles from the hips (sloping
ridge). Where tiles were lost, it was generally from the whole hip.

The houses were built by Redrow (Lancashire) and are from the
'Heritage' Range.

Redrow are refusing to take any action, instructing affected
homeowners to claim off their household insurance. I do not see why
home owners or insurance companies should foot the bill for shoddy
work by Redrow and/or their subcontractors.

Does anyone have similar experiences of Redrow?

What is the best way to take action against Redrow? (The NHBC have
been less than helpful so far)
Phil

You may lose loose tiles.

Jonathan Pearson

Angry redrow homeowner wrote:
[...]

This is one of the reasons why we moved from a new build to a propper solid
house - We had exactly the same thing about 4 years ago on our estate with
Barratt Homes, all houses been in for around 18 months, maybe 25 of the 70
houses lost roof tiles one night - Barratt were excellent - they had the
roofing guy round even before we had got up (he got us up) - all the roofs
were fixed within 2 days at Barratts expense.

Jon

Tony Bryer

In article , Jonathan Pearson
wrote:
We had exactly the same thing about 4 years ago on our estate
with Barratt Homes, all houses been in for around 18 months,
maybe 25 of the 70 houses lost roof tiles one night - Barratt
were excellent - they had the roofing guy round even before we
had got up (he got us up) - all the roofs were fixed within 2
days at Barratts expense.

They may have decided that this would be much cheaper than having
25 insurance companies coming after them for recovery of claims
paid out. ISTR that when you sign an insurance claim form you
assign to the InsCo the right to take any legal action against the
party responsible for the loss.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

I wish Redrow were as good - 3 weeks on still little in the way of a
response from Redrow ('....awaiting a report from our roofing
contractor.....')

Many people are getting fed up and paying themselves or claiming on the
household insurance - probably what Redrow want!

We have also discovered that Dentil Slips should have been used on the
ridges and hips but weren't. I don't know whether this is likely to
contribute to the problems but the tiles definately weren't fitted in
accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

We also now know several other Redrow estates have had exactly the same
problems and that they all appear to have had the same roofing
contractor - Avonside.

IMM

"Jonathan Pearson" wrote in message
[...]

You have to be kidding!!!

We had exactly the same thing about 4 years ago on our estate with
Barratt Homes, all houses been in for around 18 months, maybe 25 of the

70
houses lost roof tiles one night - Barratt were excellent - they had the
roofing guy round even before we had got up (he got us up) - all the roofs
were fixed within 2 days at Barratts expense.

Barratt and Redrow are amongst the cowboys. Go to a decent builder. You get
what you pay for. Modern houses can be very solid if you get the right
builder and design. Or you can get a cheapie and make it more solid
yourself. On moving in rip up the floor boards and put rigid rockwool bats
under, jammed between the joists, put the boards back with screws. Put
extra Rockwool in the loft. Put seals around door frame to prevent sound
from getting through, use a silicon gun to plug any holes into the loft:
light fitting cables, pipes, etc. This can be done with any house, old or
new. Your so-called flimsy house will be a hell of a lot more solid with
minimal outlay.

Also you can inspect the house as it is being built. Take photos of snags.
And send snag list to the site manager and the BCO. ALWAYS the BCO

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Owain

wrote
| I wish Redrow were as good - 3 weeks on still little in the way
| of a response from Redrow ('....awaiting a report from our roofing
| contractor.....')

There was a repeat of New Houses From Hell last night featuring someone who
got £75k compensation from, I think, Wilcon. Techniques included getting the
register of members and writing to several big shareholders, and going to
the annual general meeting.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Barratt and Redrow are amongst the cowboys. Go to a decent builder. You
get what you pay for. Modern houses can be very solid if you get the
right builder and design. Or you can get a cheapie and make it more
solid yourself. On moving in rip up the floor boards and put rigid
rockwool bats under, jammed between the joists, put the boards back with
screws.

Love to know of a cheapie house builder who uses floorboards...

--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
IMM wrote:
Barratt and Redrow are amongst the cowboys. Go to a decent builder. You
get what you pay for. Modern houses can be very solid if you get the
right builder and design. Or you can get a cheapie and make it more
solid yourself. On moving in rip up the floor boards and put rigid
rockwool bats under, jammed between the joists, put the boards back with
screws.

Love to know of a cheapie house builder who uses floorboards...

Love to know of anyone who thinks ripping up the floorboards or chipboard in
a multithousand pound brand new house is amongst the list of things to do
before fitting carpets. This really should be a case for
SNIP BABBLE

IMM

IMM wrote:
Barratt and Redrow are amongst the cowboys. Go to a decent builder.

You
get what you pay for. Modern houses can be very solid if you get the
right builder and design. Or you can get a cheapie and make it more
solid yourself. On moving in rip up the floor boards and put rigid
rockwool bats under, jammed between the joists, put the boards back

with
screws.

Love to know of a cheapie house builder who uses floorboards...

Love to know of anyone who thinks
ripping up the floorboards or chipboard in
a multithousand pound brand new house
is amongst the list of things to do
before fitting carpets. This really should be a case for
SNIP BABBLE

Fishman, if you want a quiet house the that is what you do. Or you can
spend a fortune on a Barlclay home which has solid upper floors. Cost of
doing what I said? Not much at all when you consider how much the house has
just cost you. In fact buttons. Or maybe you like noise in your house.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

IMM

IMM wrote:
Barratt and Redrow are amongst the cowboys. Go to a decent builder. You
get what you pay for. Modern houses can be very solid if you get the
right builder and design. Or you can get a cheapie and make it more
solid yourself. On moving in rip up the floor boards and put rigid
rockwool bats under, jammed between the joists, put the boards back with
screws.

Love to know of a cheapie house builder who uses floorboards...

Do you mean they only have the joists? People have to step from joist to
joist upstairs? My oh my! What sort of house does he have?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Dave

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:02:49 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Barratt and Redrow are amongst the cowboys. Go to a decent builder.

I am not sure you can generalize in this way. I have had a Bungalow
custom built by an independant builder and also been around a number
of new housing developments.

What appears to happen is that the "Builder" is only a project manager
which hires in independent contractors (or cowboys) who hire in
craftsmen and labours (or cowboys). So the eventual build quality
depends more on how good the site manager was in supervising the build
and the luck of the draw as to wether you got the cowboys or good
craftsmen to build your house.

Again I have know houses next door to each other, one a near perfect
build, the other full of botches.

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
US homes vulnerable to Tornados ( wooden), why not use concrete? Joseph Home Ownership 25 July 30th 04 09:18 PM
Habitat Homes and Property Values J SKerry Home Ownership 10 March 27th 04 05:01 AM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM