Dave

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:02:49 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

Barratt and Redrow are amongst the cowboys. Go to a decent builder.

I am not sure you can generalize in this way. I have had a Bungalow
custom built by an independant builder and also been around a number
of new housing developments.

What appears to happen is that the "Builder" is only a project manager
which hires in independent contractors (or cowboys) who hire in
craftsmen and labours (or cowboys). So the eventual build quality
depends more on how good the site manager was in supervising the build
and the luck of the draw as to wether you got the cowboys or good
craftsmen to build your house.

Again I have know houses next door to each other, one a near perfect
build, the other full of botches.