Default Jet 13" planer/molder

I need to move up from my Delta 12" planer to one with something more
to it. (I have about 1000 b.f. of old growth oak barnboards to plane
down) I'm thinking about the Jet JPM-13.

Anyone have anything good bad or indifferent to say about it? How long
have you had it? How much wood have you run through it? Would you buy
it again? What would you change about it?

boomer

I have a powermatic planer moulder I'd like to get rid of and I'm
taking offers.

http://www.stonehousetap.com/forsale/stuff_for_sale.htm

thanks
Boomer

wrote:
I need to move up from my Delta 12" planer to one with something more
to it. (I have about 1000 b.f. of old growth oak barnboards to plane
down) I'm thinking about the Jet JPM-13.

Anyone have anything good bad or indifferent to say about it? How

long
have you had it? How much wood have you run through it? Would you

buy
it again? What would you change about it?

patrick conroy

wrote in message
ups.com...

to it. (I have about 1000 b.f. of old growth oak barnboards to plane
down) I'm thinking about the Jet JPM-13.

I have several Jet pieces (TS, BS, jointer), but not their planer. I have
the DW735. The Jet got mediocre reviews a year or two ago by one of the
magazines. They liked the Delta 22-580 back then. I'm pretty sure I saw
*another* planer review in one of this months magazines, with the Jet
included. I didn't read it - since I already have the DeWalt.

I *think* it's an OK planer, but there are better designs out there now.

You're talking about portable planers. The Jet JPM-13 is a stationary
model with and induction motor in lieu of a universal type.

George

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to move up from my Delta 12" planer to one with something more
to it. (I have about 1000 b.f. of old growth oak barnboards to plane
down) I'm thinking about the Jet JPM-13.

Anyone have anything good bad or indifferent to say about it? How long
have you had it? How much wood have you run through it? Would you buy
it again? What would you change about it?

Seems to be about the same as the old Foley-Belsaw.
http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/Jet...13_planer.html in the for
what it's worth department.

Personally, I'd go iron with bed rollers and a nice iron serrated infeed,
which will make feeding rough stock a hell of a lot nicer. In that area,
you've got a lot of 15" options. I'm a Rockwell/Invicta 13" type, the
granddaddy of the moveable motors, and in a small shop, it's nice to adjust
things for a constant feed height.

Ron Kolakowski

I've had on for about 5 years now, and run everything from 12" red oak for
an entryway to 1/4" stock (on a sled) for small boxes. I haven't used it as
a molder, but have seen it done, and the changeover is very easy for smaller
knives. I believe that anything less than 2" wide can be used without
removing the planer knives. All in all, I've been very happy with it, and
would buy it again.

Ron

patrick conroy

wrote in message
oups.com...

You're talking about portable planers. The Jet JPM-13 is a stationary
model with and induction motor in lieu of a universal type.

Ahhh. Thanks, My bad.
Emily Latella: "Never mind!"

John Grossbohlin

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to move up from my Delta 12" planer to one with something more
to it. (I have about 1000 b.f. of old growth oak barnboards to plane
down) I'm thinking about the Jet JPM-13.

Anyone have anything good bad or indifferent to say about it? How long
have you had it? How much wood have you run through it? Would you buy
it again? What would you change about it?

I've had a closed stand version with the infeed and outfeed rollers for 3.5
years. I had a Dewalt 733 prior to that and find the Jet to be far superior
in terms of power and volume. I also like the fact that it has it's own
stand with built in wheels so that it can be rolled out of the way easily. I
leave the feed speed set to the slower speed all the time as it's fast
enough for my needs. If I were trying to make a living with it I'd probably
run it at high speed most of the time! I don't know how much wood has been
through it but I've run maple, oak, fir, pine, and plywood through it with
good results. I'd buy it again.

John