Jeffrey Thunder

In article . com,
writes:
down) I'm thinking about the Jet JPM-13.
Anyone have anything good bad or indifferent to say about it? How long
have you had it? How much wood have you run through it? Would you buy
it again? What would you change about it?

I've had one for several years. I also have the older (but not really old)
style Delta "lunchbox" planer. The Jet works great as a moulding machine,
though you do need to make a jig for feeding the stock through.

Changing/aligning knives isn't exactly quick and easy, but not
too onerous. The planer knives can stay in if you use smaller
moulding knives. Changing the gearing is relatively quick; maybe
about 5 minutes or so at most.

I've done a reasonable amount of moulding with it. I would definitely
buy it again (a power feed makes for much nicer moulding than using
a router in a table, for example). I bought the open stand version and
am glad I did, since the shelf makes for handy storage.

I haven't used it so much for planing. I keep that for those times
when I need extremely sharp knives. It's a fine planer, though; definitely
more robust than the portable variety.

BTW, the knives Grizzly sells for their planer/moulder also fit
just fine in the Jet and are much cheaper.

--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences