Default Larger copper pipes for dust collection?

If I ground my PVC dust collection ducts to my water pipes, will I
need to sweat bigger copper tubing since my dust collector is 240V?

It's a 3HP motor, but not that efficient so I'll run it on a 60A
breaker. I'm planning to get about 9,300 CFM, but will use 18-inch
duct to make sure the pressure drop isn't too bad.

I don't want SWMBO to get shocked while she's brushing her teeth.

Hope this helps,
John

Nicky

Here is a good read, very informative, take a look at

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/.../DC_myths.html

Read it through (it's short)

I've got to ask why you need to run a 3hp motor on a 60A ckt, is this what
you have? Sound like over kill (way over), if you use a 60A breaker (or more
like 50 is what I've seen), does the wiring support this?

9,300 CFM? Careful you don't suck up you're bench top tools. Don't know the
size impeller you're using but specs on my delta with 3hp (that's running on
a 30A ckt) is about 3000cfm. I live at 7,000 ft, so don't know what the real
value is. Vendors don't do a good job of telling us what cfm value you will
likely see.

wrote in message
. ..

If I ground my PVC dust collection ducts to my water pipes, will I
need to sweat bigger copper tubing since my dust collector is 240V?

It's a 3HP motor, but not that efficient so I'll run it on a 60A
breaker. I'm planning to get about 9,300 CFM, but will use 18-inch
duct to make sure the pressure drop isn't too bad.

I don't want SWMBO to get shocked while she's brushing her teeth.

Hope this helps,
John

Member

Quote:
If I ground my PVC dust collection ducts to my water pipes, will I
need to sweat bigger copper tubing since my dust collector is 240V?

It's a 3HP motor, but not that efficient so I'll run it on a 60A
breaker. I'm planning to get about 9,300 CFM, but will use 18-inch
duct to make sure the pressure drop isn't too bad.

I don't want SWMBO to get shocked while she's brushing her teeth.

Hope this helps,
John
Gee whiz, it only makes sense, doesn't it?! Seems like the greater the possible static grounding, the greater need for a good ground, hmm? Lessee, 240v, 3 horsies, 60amps, I'd say about the surface area of a good beating! Back to you, John! Tom(Who doesn't mind when she gets shocked)
__________________
Work at your leisure!

LRod

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:27:50 -0500, "no(SPAM)vasys"
wrote:

I don't want SWMBO to get shocked while she's brushing her teeth.

Just don't let her use a WaterPik unless it's isolated.

You're not giving away the WaterPic!!!!

Oops. Sorry. I thought I was on alt.tv.seinfeld

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:05:16 -0500, wrote:

If I ground my PVC dust collection ducts to my water pipes, will I
need to sweat bigger copper tubing since my dust collector is 240V?

It's a 3HP motor, but not that efficient so I'll run it on a 60A
breaker. I'm planning to get about 9,300 CFM, but will use 18-inch
duct to make sure the pressure drop isn't too bad.

I don't want SWMBO to get shocked while she's brushing her teeth.

Hope this helps,
John

John,

Put down the beer. Step away from the beer. ....

:-)

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:27:50 -0500, "no(SPAM)vasys"

If I ground my PVC dust collection ducts to my water pipes, will I
need to sweat bigger copper tubing since my dust collector is 240V?

Is the copper used in the plumbing domestic or imported?

It's a 3HP motor, but not that efficient so I'll run it on a 60A
breaker. I'm planning to get about 9,300 CFM, but will use 18-inch
duct to make sure the pressure drop isn't too bad.

A good idea! This stuff should work:

http://www.big-o.com/hdpep/boss1000.htm

Oh yeah! That 900 mm (~36") should be just about what you need. I
didn't see any T's or Y's on that web site though. That could be somewhat
problematic. Let's see, 9600 CFM, 36" pipe, set that in front of the
Unisaw, you don't even have to worry about offcuts riding by the blade,
they'll be sucked right into the collector. 'course if you are cutting
small pieces, you might have some problem with them being pulled in as
well. That would suck.

I don't want SWMBO to get shocked while she's brushing her teeth.

Just don't let her use a WaterPik unless it's isolated.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

John Sellers

Just use a little Sting-eze, they're barbless hooks.

John

+---------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------+
The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of

safety
Army General Richard

Cody

+---------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------+

Mark Howell

wrote in message
. ..

If I ground my PVC dust collection ducts to my water pipes, will I
need to sweat bigger copper tubing since my dust collector is 240V?

It's a 3HP motor, but not that efficient so I'll run it on a 60A
breaker. I'm planning to get about 9,300 CFM, but will use 18-inch
duct to make sure the pressure drop isn't too bad.

I don't want SWMBO to get shocked while she's brushing her teeth.

Hope this helps,
John

Well let's see, 9300 cfm through PVC will generate a static charge of
approximately 350KV, and SWMBO will probably *feel* that. So
copper tubing, any size, is out of the question. You need to replace
the copper with gold-palladium tubing for superior conductivity, and
as a bonus, the tubing looks great as it has a certain *chatoyance* to
it. Sure it costs a little more, but you don't want SWMBO shutting
down your shop, do you?

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:46:28 -0500, "John Sellers"
wrote:

Just use a little Sting-eze, they're barbless hooks.

John

Naw, don't need it; I got it. Did see you managed to hook one.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Mark Howell

"John Sellers" wrote in message
. ..

copper tubing, any size, is out of the question. You need to replace
the copper with gold-palladium tubing for superior conductivity, and
as a bonus, the tubing looks great as it has a certain *chatoyance*

So, the offcuts can be used as push sticks too...

...and wind chimes!

mac davis

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:05:16 -0500, wrote:

If I ground my PVC dust collection ducts to my water pipes, will I
need to sweat bigger copper tubing since my dust collector is 240V?

It's a 3HP motor, but not that efficient so I'll run it on a 60A
breaker. I'm planning to get about 9,300 CFM, but will use 18-inch
duct to make sure the pressure drop isn't too bad.

I don't want SWMBO to get shocked while she's brushing her teeth.

Hope this helps,
John

John...

I think this is a GREAT idea... wire the ducting for 220, also..

and make sure that you use #20 biscuits to hold those segmented turnings
together, also..

In answer to your next question:
Yes, you can and will paint cherry...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:44:21 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

but it could do away with worries about kick back.. just have a lumber bin in
the 2,000 gallon cyclone separator..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
snowdog

At this kind of power rating skip ground it to the pipes, wire the ducting
back to the DC and it will power itself.....and most of the tools in the
shop. The other advantage is that you won't have any dust within say 100
yds of the shop ( or bugs, or birds, small aircraft ......)

John C

"Mark Howell" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Jim Behning

I was at ahouse where they had temporary power rigged up by some
amatuer. They appear to have crossed the neutral and the hot leg.
Maybe something else but when you would drink from the copper spigot
your tarter would get knocked off your teeth. A low voltage cleaning
session.

"snowdog" wrote:

At this kind of power rating skip ground it to the pipes, wire the ducting
back to the DC and it will power itself.....and most of the tools in the
shop. The other advantage is that you won't have any dust within say 100
yds of the shop ( or bugs, or birds, small aircraft ......)

John C

"Mark Howell" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Can copper pipes for water last more than 30 years? Tune Smith Home Ownership 4 January 21st 05 10:08 PM
Copper Pipes in Concrete Paul Roberts UK diy 13 September 25th 04 10:58 AM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Purity of copper when you melt it Zipper Metalworking 5 October 8th 03 06:12 PM