Jim Behning

I was at ahouse where they had temporary power rigged up by some
amatuer. They appear to have crossed the neutral and the hot leg.
Maybe something else but when you would drink from the copper spigot
your tarter would get knocked off your teeth. A low voltage cleaning
session.

"snowdog" wrote:

At this kind of power rating skip ground it to the pipes, wire the ducting
back to the DC and it will power itself.....and most of the tools in the
shop. The other advantage is that you won't have any dust within say 100
yds of the shop ( or bugs, or birds, small aircraft ......)

John C

"Mark Howell" wrote in message

wrote in message
. ..

If I ground my PVC dust collection ducts to my water pipes, will I
need to sweat bigger copper tubing since my dust collector is 240V?

It's a 3HP motor, but not that efficient so I'll run it on a 60A
breaker. I'm planning to get about 9,300 CFM, but will use 18-inch
duct to make sure the pressure drop isn't too bad.

I don't want SWMBO to get shocked while she's brushing her teeth.

Hope this helps,
John

Well let's see, 9300 cfm through PVC will generate a static charge of
approximately 350KV, and SWMBO will probably *feel* that. So
copper tubing, any size, is out of the question. You need to replace
the copper with gold-palladium tubing for superior conductivity, and
as a bonus, the tubing looks great as it has a certain *chatoyance* to
it. Sure it costs a little more, but you don't want SWMBO shutting
down your shop, do you?

Jim B.