Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Default Anybody Heard Of North State?

I've found a local supplier of North State 8" jointers for under $900. Does
anybody know anything about them? Googling has been amazingly unproductive,
which worries me. On the other hand, it is a 2 HP 220V jointer with a 66" bed,
made in Taiwan and supposedly a Delta clone copied from the older Delta
jointers.

You can see the one I'm looking at:
http://www.leneavesupply.com/Mfg_Gee...nter_CT200.htm

I posted something else in another thread but either nobody saw it or nobody
knows. Anybody got any input?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

I've found a local supplier of North State 8" jointers for under $900. Does
anybody know anything about them? Googling has been amazingly unproductive,
which worries me. On the other hand, it is a 2 HP 220V jointer with a 66"
bed,
made in Taiwan and supposedly a Delta clone copied from the older Delta
jointers.

You can see the one I'm looking at:
http://www.leneavesupply.com/Mfg_Gee...nter_CT200.htm

I posted something else in another thread but either nobody saw it or nobody
knows. Anybody got any input?

Wild guess, a branded Taiwanese jointer.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Dan Oelke

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
I've found a local supplier of North State 8" jointers for under $900. Does
anybody know anything about them? Googling has been amazingly unproductive,
which worries me. On the other hand, it is a 2 HP 220V jointer with a 66" bed,
made in Taiwan and supposedly a Delta clone copied from the older Delta
jointers.

I haven't heard on them either - but am interested if anyone else has.
I am in the market for an 8" jointer, but can't decide which myself.
I also (today) found out about another taiwanese that is supposed to be
the same as a DJ-20. It's a Oasis Machinery J1008C. I'd be interested
in hearing anything about it as well.

http://www.toolmarts.com/product1412.html

Thanks, Dan

I've found a local supplier of North State 8" jointers for under $900.
Does
anybody know anything about them?

You must be in the Charlotte area. As far as I know, Northstate is a
Taiwanese knockoff that is
made for and sold by LeNeave Supply in Charlotte. I have had one for about
3 years and have
gotten good service from it. The only trouble I have ever had was the set
screws worked loose
on the cutter head pulley and let the key slip out. I pulled the cover,
slipped the key back in,
put a couple of drops of Loctite on the set screws and tightened them up.
No trouble since.

I have been well pleased with it. Much easier to use than the 6" machine I
had before.

I've got quite a bit of other Northstate equipment in my shop (bandsaw,
mortiser, shaper,
table saw, edge and spindle sanders) and have been pleased with all of it.
Like most of
the Taiwanese equipment you may need to take a file and knock off the
occasional sharp
edge or do a little minor tuning but I've had to do the same on some of the
Delta equipment
I have in the shop.

If you are willing to drive to the Monroe area you are welcome to try mine
out before you decide.

Greg, Jeff, and Larry are great guys to work with. They are knowledgeable
and will take the time
to help you. I have been doing business with them a long time and have
always been well satisfied.
The store kind of reminds me of and old time hardware store. Lots of
equipment sitting around to
look at, so of it in dis-array, but if you ask one of the guys for something
they always seem to know
right where it is at.

Hope the info helps,

Rick

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I've found a local supplier of North State 8" jointers for under $900.
Does anybody know anything about them?

You must be in the Charlotte area. As far as I know, Northstate is a
Taiwanese knockoff that is made for and sold by LeNeave Supply in
Charlotte.

http://leneavesupply.com

Yes, I finally found a bunch of stuff about it. The actual manufacturer is
GeeTech who also makes stuff for Sunhill and Jet. After talking with the older
fellow at Leneave's yesterday, I took a more critical eye to the Delta I was
contemplating at Blume's. This morning I went to Blume's to find out how much
their "show" discount was and the Delta was going for $995, marked down from
$1049.

A few things that stuck out: the mechanism to raise and lower the bed on the
Delta was managed by levers as opposed by handwheels on the North State. The
starter switch on the Delta is non-magnetic; the North State has a magnetic
starter. The Delta has a 1.5 HP motor; the North State 2 HP. The Delta has a
slightly longer bed: 72" as opposed to the North State at 67". Both of them
could herniate a buffalo.

If you are willing to drive to the Monroe area you are welcome to
try mine out before you decide.

Too late. I put the money down a couple of hours ago. I won't actually collect
my jointer until Monday as they'd moved all their stock out to the woodworking
show at the Merchandise Mart for the show this weekend. The jointer, a mobile
base, dust collection plate, and tax came to $950. Just the same, your comments
are welcome. I'd have felt terrible if you'd said buying North State was the
worst decision you'd ever made. G

The store kind of reminds me of and old time hardware store. Lots of
equipment sitting around to look at, so of it in dis-array, but if you ask
one of the guys for something they always seem to know right where it
is at.

Yeah, I hate to say the place was a dump. But he had no problems coming up with
what he needed. The walls and floors took me back to my grandfather's
sheetmetal shop in the Bronx. Obviously the place has been there forever. Mr.
Leneave told me the business was started by his father in that location back in
1957 when dinosaurs roamed the earth... and I was three.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

LRod

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:43:59 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

Yeah, I hate to say the place was a dump. But he had no problems coming up with
what he needed. The walls and floors took me back to my grandfather's
sheetmetal shop in the Bronx. Obviously the place has been there forever. Mr.
Leneave told me the business was started by his father in that location back in
1957 when dinosaurs roamed the earth... and I was three.

Where is this place? My daughter lives in Charlotte and I come up
there occasionally to visit. Doesn't preclude visiting good tool
stores while I'm there...

I can find my way around reasonably.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

LRod wrote:
Where is this place? My daughter lives in Charlotte and I come up
there occasionally to visit. Doesn't preclude visiting good tool
stores while I'm there...

Blume's has a prettier store well set up for retail: they're on South Blvd just
a little bit south of Remount Rd. Leneave's is like somebody else said: it
reminds you of an old fashioned hardware store. Going north on South Tryon St
until you get to Morehead St. Turn left (west) and it's three blocks down on
the left. 305 W. Morehead St.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

LRod

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:44:35 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

LRod wrote:
Where is this place? My daughter lives in Charlotte and I come up
there occasionally to visit. Doesn't preclude visiting good tool
stores while I'm there...

Blume's has a prettier store well set up for retail: they're on South Blvd just
a little bit south of Remount Rd. Leneave's is like somebody else said: it
reminds you of an old fashioned hardware store. Going north on South Tryon St
until you get to Morehead St. Turn left (west) and it's three blocks down on
the left. 305 W. Morehead St.

Been to Blumes (and the Klingspor store) but can't turn down an
opportunity to see an old time store no matter how it looks. I'll find
it next time I'm up. Thanks.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Dan Oelke

Speaking of impressive, my buddy and I were very impressed with the weight of
the jointer. What a beast. I'm gonna stencil "CVN74" somewhere on it in honor
of a deck large enough to land an aircraft. It seems appropriate.

I'm taking my time with it. Today I put together the mobile stand, mounted the
base, then set the bed on top and bolted it down. The belts are installed along
with the dust port. Tomorrow I'll finish up with the magnetic switch and see if
it'll run.

Did I mention how heavy it is?

Let us know what you think after running it some. I think the crowbars
have just about got my wallet open so I can buy an 8" jointer, and this
sounds pretty close to what I would like.

Thanks,
Dan

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Dan Oelke wrote:
Let us know what you think after running it some. I think the crowbars
have just about got my wallet open so I can buy an 8" jointer, and this
sounds pretty close to what I would like.

I got it running late this morning and WOW!!!! I am so impressed with this
thing. Assembling it was fairly intuitive which was a good thing, given the
crappy manual. There are a few things about assembly that are worth noting.

1) Build the mobile stand immediately after opening the box that contains the
base and measuring.

2) Assemble the wiring before you go any further. The motor is already mounted
in the base but if you install the bed (as I did) you'll have trouble connecting
the wires from the motor to the magnetic starter. I ended up laying on my side
in the garage with a mirror inside the base and a magnetic lamp stuck to the
inside so I could see. It still was a major PITA working backwards at a right
angle via the mirror.

There are three poles to the motor electrical block: two single wires and one
double wire that was on the center pole. I hooked up the black wire from the
magnetic starter to the connector associated with one single wire, the white
wire to the other single wire. The ground got connected to one of the screws
that held the motor electrical box to the motor itself. The ground does NOT
connect to the center pole with the double wires.

I then installed a suitable plug on the other wire that came out of the magnetic
starter. This then was ready to plug into the wall (220V).

3) With a stout friend, lift the bed out of its box (which was about the size
of a coffin) and set the bed on the floor. The central portion of the bed will
elevate the entire assembly so you'll have no problem getting your hands under
it to lift without squishing fingers or even straining your back. This assumes
you're a manly man yourself.

4) Lift the bed onto the base and remove the protruding portion of your
intestines from your scrotum. Actually, it wasn't all that bad. The outside
edges of the bed were a good foot off the floor before we picked it up.
Adjusting the position was actually pretty easy as the bed will slid easily on
the top of the base without even scratching the paint. Bolt it down from
underneath. (Bolt it up?)

5) Remove the belt cover and then loosen the bolts holding the motor to the
motor mount. This will allow you to position the belts onto the pulleys (there
are two belts). Not too bad. Tighten the bolts back down. If it turned out
the pulley and motor were misaligned, you'd loosen the bolts that mount the
motor mount to the base, not the ones to the motor). I didn't have to do any of
that... it was perfectly aligned to begin with.

6) I installed the two hand wheels next, putting a drop of locktite on the
screw that held each of them in place. Then I buttoned the jointer up,
replacing the belt guard and installing the access plate onto the base. You
could install the dust port at this time if you're using one... the holes were
already drilled and tapped. I had to make a paper template so I knew where to
drill the holes in the plastic dust port but it made for a very neat
installation.

Plug it in and fire it up. With any luck all the smoke will stay inside. It
did for me. Be prepared for an incredibly powerful sound as the motor powers
up. You could easily carry on a conversation over it if the wood isn't running
through it. But WOW !!!!

A hell of a deal for $795... $950 with tax, mobile base and dust port.

Pictures posted in ABPW...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Dan Oelke

A hell of a deal for $795... $950 with tax, mobile base and dust port.

Pictures posted in ABPW...

Good writeup.

Just to follow up with my own discovery on this.

Today I was in a local toy errr.... tool shop and they had a "Seco" 8"
Jointer. It also was badged with Geetech. It was halfway across the
store from the Powermatic 60B, but the fence adjustment mechanisms
looked awfully similar.

But - I found that Geetech CT-200 at
http://www.geetech.com.tw/ct_200.htm which is the NorthState. I'm sure
Geetech would sell someone the jointers direct at a very good price, but
you had better be willing to order a shipping container full of them.

Unfortunately my local place wants $970 for theirs. I can have it
delivered from NC for less (and not pay tax).

FWIW - the Powermatic does have a lever/knob combo for height adjustment
of the infeed table that no one else does.

Dan

Anyone heard from Ken Bullock lately? Peter Teubel Woodturning 2 December 14th 04 11:07 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Pioneer VSX-27TX -- long delay before audio can be heard... Jeff Electronics Repair 9 April 10th 04 07:09 PM
Very happy with Penn State Customer Service Preston Andreas Woodworking 0 September 16th 03 01:50 AM