Dave in Indy

Default Makita 5277NB Hypoid Saw Deal at Coastal Tool

Noticed that Coastal Tool has this saw for $79 plus shipping right now.
I won't be doing any framing or construction, just want one to cut
down plywood sheets. I'm a little concerned about the weight, and it
doesn't appear to have a brake. But for $79, seems like it could be a
good deal.

I'd appreciate comments from those who have this saw, what do you like,
dislike, etc.

George

"Dave in Indy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Noticed that Coastal Tool has this saw for $79 plus shipping right now.
I won't be doing any framing or construction, just want one to cut
down plywood sheets. I'm a little concerned about the weight, and it
doesn't appear to have a brake. But for $79, seems like it could be a
good deal.

I'd appreciate comments from those who have this saw, what do you like,
dislike, etc.

Heavy, but powerful. I love mine. Wish I could have bought it for that
price. I gave a hundred and a quarter.

Squanklin

Sounds like a great deal on a good brand, but I have a question to
prove my ignorance:

What's the difference between this "hypoid" saw and a regular circular
saw?

Thanks!
Squanklin

Teamcasa

What's the difference between this "hypoid" saw and a regular circular
saw?
Squanklin

Hypoid saws are used by framers on the West Coast. Sidewinder saws are used
by East Coast framers.

In a hypoid saw, the motor is in-line (parallel) with the blade. The hypoid
refers to the gear (a 90 deg. gear, like in a rear differential) that
connects the motor to the blade arbor.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

"Squanklin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like a great deal on a good brand, but I have a question to
prove my ignorance:

What's the difference between this "hypoid" saw and a regular circular
saw?

Thanks!
Squanklin

Gearing. The hypoid saw uses hypoid gears. Similar to a worm drive, but
teeth are curved.

-j

Squanklin

Ok, then. What's the difference in hypoid gears and what they do and
whatever sort of gear system comes on a circular saw and what it does?
(Oh, and what's a worm drive?)

Please remember, I'm ignorant in this area and need more background
information.

Thanks!
Squanklin

Worm drive has what looks a bit like a corkscrew (rather than a worm) on the
motorshaft. This is the worm gear. It meshes to an ordinary spur gear with
teeth around its edge. The purpose is to turn the rotation of the motor 90
degrees. This means the axis of the motor is parallel to your cut - allowing
a bigger motor than a regular circular saw (it would be too wide and
unbalanced).

Hypoid gears are similare but are closer to what you would consider a bevel
gear. The motorshaft has a toothed cone on the end of it and this meshes
with a beveled gear which drives the blade. The curvature is part of the
design to more efficiently transmit the power. Because you are meshing two
curved surfaces you can curve the teeth to have a larger area of contact
which means it will wear better among other things.

You can find pictures of both types on the web.

http://www.mech.uwa.edu.au/DANotes/g...tro/intro.html

-j

ups.com...