anna

Default Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry way.

Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

We are going to have a contractor install them.

Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?

Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?

or installation pointers ?

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anna

Glossy tiles are slippery - especially when wet. They are a very poor choice
for an entry way. You will need to put some floor mats down on them and make
sure your insurance is up to date. Try looking for some floor tiles instead.

Grout should be in proportion to tile size and tile design. Small tile -
small grout line. Irregular tiles require a larger grout line. Your
contractor should know enough about installation that you shouldn't need to
ask here. If they can't explain how they are going to do it, then look for a
new contractor.

-j

"anna" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

We are going to have a contractor install them.

Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?

Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?

or installation pointers ?

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anna

HMFIC@1369

I just used a pattern of Granite and Marble as ascent for my entrance way
and matched it with my fireplace. and used a neutral gray grout.

Things to Remember.

Subfloor must be SOLID! or tiles will crack

(I'd stay away from glossy, you'll have to keep on it all the time to keep
it clean, slippery and it'll scratch!

I butter the backside of the tile! Strengthens it.

as for grout (the thickness depends on the size of the tile and what you
feel looks best) Darker the Better! White will yellow with age!

In my kitchen I'm installing 16x16 tiles with a wide grout line Medium to
dark reddish tiles with black grout.

as you watch them work Examine that they lay the tiles Squarely, Flush, Flat
and level! Then watch how they seal it!

"anna" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

We are going to have a contractor install them.

Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?

Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?

or installation pointers ?

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anna

Mike

On 14 Mar 2005 09:32:19 -0800, "anna" wrote:

Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

Many floor tiles are available with a glossy surface. While they may
be a little more slippery, I suspect there will be a mat or rug at
the entryway anyway. I don't think you will have any problem caring
for the glossy finish. I've had glossy tiles in the entryway for ten
years and they still look brand new.

We are going to have a contractor install them.
Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?
Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?
or installation pointers ?

I will mention here that I am a trim contractor and not a tile guy. I
do however have contact with the tile guys we work around I can tell
you what they tell me. I also have a considerable amount of tile work
done in my house and can relate what was done here.

If you are installing on a concrete floor, prep and installation is
pretty straight forward. If the installation is on a wood floor the
most common method used in this area is to underlay a wood floor with
concrete board. Normally we see the concrete board in 4'x4' sheets
and either 1/4" or 1/2" thick. I think it's branded by several
companies. Some contractors will use a wood 1/4" underlayment but
none of the tile guys I have talked to will recommend that method for
tile. Some will not guarantee the installation unless it is on
concrete board.
As far as grout goes, I have a thing for epoxy grout. I love the
stuff. The tile guys hate it because it' a pain to use and clean up is
even worse. Ohh..... and their prices reflect how much they dislike
it. Epoxy grout is a two part system using epoxy. It can be done in
various colors to match your tile. It does not require sealing. The
problem with it is that removing a tile at a later time is much more
difficult and requires a torch to melt the epoxy. If the installation
is done properly from the get go, you shouldn't ever need to know
that.
My tile guy does not recommend epoxy grout on a fireplace surround
however. His reason is that the tiles expand more (from heat) on a
fireplace front and that the epoxy is not as quick to react as normal
grout. As the tiles expand on a fireplace front sometimes the grout
will crack which actually allows for the expansion of the tiles. This
is easily repaired with a little grout. Epoxy grout will not allow
the expansion and cracked tiles are more likely the result. This
makes the repair more problematic to say the least.

Talk to your contractor and whatever method you choose be sure you are
both on the same page. Be sure that your contractor will guarantee
his work and that you know what that guarantee will include.
A good installation with normal grout will work fine and last a good
long time. If anything, regular grout may require a little more
maintenance than the epoxy grout since the epoxy does not require
sealing. Both will look the same after installation and the biggest
difference you can see initially will be the price.

Mike O.

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:21:27 -0500, "BJT"
wrote:

DON'T.....DO.....IT.....HAZARDOUS

Commercial buildings and hotels use glossy marble floors in entrances
quite often.
Of course they can afford the insurance.

Mike O.

wrote:

DON'T.....DO.....IT.....HAZARDOUS

Commercial buildings and hotels use glossy marble floors in entrances
quite often.
Of course they can afford the insurance.

Mike O.

Building codes and ADA requirements in the US proscribe use of materials
with certain minimum "slip coefficient". Typically around 0.5 but can vary
by location. There are treatments that can be put on stone which reduce the
slipperyness. It is unlikely that even these polished stone floors are as
slippery as untreated glossy tiles.

-j

Mike

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:26:12 -0800, "J" wrote:

Commercial buildings and hotels use glossy marble floors in entrances
quite often.
Of course they can afford the insurance.

Mike O.

Building codes and ADA requirements in the US proscribe use of materials
with certain minimum "slip coefficient". Typically around 0.5 but can vary
by location. There are treatments that can be put on stone which reduce the
slipperyness. It is unlikely that even these polished stone floors are as
slippery as untreated glossy tiles.

Would you expect that any tile labeled as floor tile will likely meet
those requirements?

Mike O.

"Mike" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:26:12 -0800, "J" wrote:

Commercial buildings and hotels use glossy marble floors in entrances
quite often.
Of course they can afford the insurance.

Mike O.

Building codes and ADA requirements in the US proscribe use of materials
with certain minimum "slip coefficient". Typically around 0.5 but can

vary
by location. There are treatments that can be put on stone which reduce

the
slipperyness. It is unlikely that even these polished stone floors are as
slippery as untreated glossy tiles.

Would you expect that any tile labeled as floor tile will likely meet
those requirements?

Mike O.

Some tile would.
But tile comes from a lot of different places in the world.
Not all of these countries have the same standards.
Not all tile is labeled.
I can't recall seeing any US made tile labeled as floor tile which is
glossy.
There may be some, but I haven't seen it.
My definition of glossy is that you can clearly see your undistorted
reflection in it.

-j

BJT

Glazed ceramic tile is not the same as marble. Glossy glazed ceramic is a
man-made, fired material, and is impervious to almost any liquid and, when
wet, is extremely slippery and treacherous. Marble is a natural stone and
very porous when compared to ceramic tile (actually, I think that it's
calcium carbonate). Anyway, it's NOWHERE near as slippery as high-gloss
ceramic tile.

Bruce