Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

anna

Default Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry way.

Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

We are going to have a contractor install them.

Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?

Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?

or installation pointers ?

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anna

Dick

You need a good backing for the tile, unless you are installing
directly on concrete. Something like Hardibacker board. Ceramic
tiles are good. Even concrete will have to be prepared with some type
of leveler. The floor needs to be absolutely flat. Porcelain tiles
are better for high traffic areas. Porcelain costs more, but in a
small area like an entry way the difference would be insignificant.
If you are going to use a tile contractor to do the job, they should
know what is needed.

On 14 Mar 2005 09:30:26 -0800, "anna" wrote:

Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

We are going to have a contractor install them.

Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?

Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?

or installation pointers ?

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anna

ToddWiedeman

Dicks advice is good, porcelin is more durable. I would get tile that
is designed and rated for floor.Beware of glossy tile that is slippery
.. A good floor tile usually has some texture to it to prevent
slipping.
Todd

Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

We are going to have a contractor install them.

Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?

Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?

or installation pointers ?

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anna

Alan Sung

"anna" wrote in message
oups.com...
Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

We are going to have a contractor install them.
Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?

Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?

or installation pointers ?

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anna

Ditto the comments on glossy tiles being very slippery when wet. Most floor
tiles are not made with a high gloss finish because of this. The thick or
thin grout lines is really a matter of aesthetics. In general, larger tiles
have thicker grout lines. I would keep the lines as small as possible on the
idea that it's easier to keep the tile clean than it is to keep the grout
line clean. About 1/4" for a 10" or 12" tile.

Another down side to high gloss tiles is that scratches will show more
readily and depending upon the color, dust and water spots will show up more
(like having a black car).

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

scordelia

Glossy tiles do scratch. If you want that glossy look, you might
consider marble or granite floor tile. They will scratch too, but
because they are stone, they can be professionally polished and buffed
to keep them shiny.

Sophie

Bill

On 14 Mar 2005 09:30:26 -0800, "anna" wrote:

Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

We are going to have a contractor install them.

Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?

Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?

or installation pointers ?

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anna

Hey Anna!
Last year my hot water heater exploded, flooded the whole first floor
of my house...ruined the carpet. Instead of putting new carpet back
down we had ceramic tile installed throughout our first floor. It is a
beautiful floor, easy to maintain...just a damp mop occassionally. You
can go down to Home Depot on a Saturday morning and they will show you
how easy it is to install the tile yourself! Ours is basically white
with gray wisps of color all across the tiles. We tried to match the
grout color to the basic white color of the tile so it would blend
together more instead of the checker board look black grout would give
it.

Regards,
Bill

Regards,