Mike

On 14 Mar 2005 09:32:19 -0800, "anna" wrote:

Need advice - we would like to intall glossy ceramic tiles in Entry
way.

Many floor tiles are available with a glossy surface. While they may
be a little more slippery, I suspect there will be a mat or rug at
the entryway anyway. I don't think you will have any problem caring
for the glossy finish. I've had glossy tiles in the entryway for ten
years and they still look brand new.

We are going to have a contractor install them.
Are there any pluses or minuses ceramic tiles ?
Any pointers on the grout ? thin grout better than thicker grout ?
or installation pointers ?

I will mention here that I am a trim contractor and not a tile guy. I
do however have contact with the tile guys we work around I can tell
you what they tell me. I also have a considerable amount of tile work
done in my house and can relate what was done here.

If you are installing on a concrete floor, prep and installation is
pretty straight forward. If the installation is on a wood floor the
most common method used in this area is to underlay a wood floor with
concrete board. Normally we see the concrete board in 4'x4' sheets
and either 1/4" or 1/2" thick. I think it's branded by several
companies. Some contractors will use a wood 1/4" underlayment but
none of the tile guys I have talked to will recommend that method for
tile. Some will not guarantee the installation unless it is on
concrete board.
As far as grout goes, I have a thing for epoxy grout. I love the
stuff. The tile guys hate it because it' a pain to use and clean up is
even worse. Ohh..... and their prices reflect how much they dislike
it. Epoxy grout is a two part system using epoxy. It can be done in
various colors to match your tile. It does not require sealing. The
problem with it is that removing a tile at a later time is much more
difficult and requires a torch to melt the epoxy. If the installation
is done properly from the get go, you shouldn't ever need to know
that.
My tile guy does not recommend epoxy grout on a fireplace surround
however. His reason is that the tiles expand more (from heat) on a
fireplace front and that the epoxy is not as quick to react as normal
grout. As the tiles expand on a fireplace front sometimes the grout
will crack which actually allows for the expansion of the tiles. This
is easily repaired with a little grout. Epoxy grout will not allow
the expansion and cracked tiles are more likely the result. This
makes the repair more problematic to say the least.

Talk to your contractor and whatever method you choose be sure you are
both on the same page. Be sure that your contractor will guarantee
his work and that you know what that guarantee will include.
A good installation with normal grout will work fine and last a good
long time. If anything, regular grout may require a little more
maintenance than the epoxy grout since the epoxy does not require
sealing. Both will look the same after installation and the biggest
difference you can see initially will be the price.

Mike O.

Any suggestions, input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.