butch

Default HF vs Griz "2 HP" dust collectors

First of all I did searches of this group and red all the posts I could
find. Many others have said these things look very similiar - see
below
HF Girz
Motor 2 hp 110V, 14 amp 2 hp 220V, 12 amp
Bags 30 micron 2.5 micron
CFM 1600 1550
Shp Wt 145 123
Inlet 6" or 2 ea 4" 2 ea 4"
RPM ? 3450
price 150 295
impeller ? 12"

The HP and CFM ratings are both probably very inflated. The weight
difference could be accounted by 110 vs 220 V motors - anybody know?

I want to put a home made barrel chip collector in line using 6" pipe.
Some have said when the Y is removed from the HF unit-is there a 5 or
6" opening. I doubt if one would be able to open up the HF plate to
6". Any thoughts.

By the way - these things look like they came out of the same factory -
anybody seen them both in the flesh. Really interested in the 5 vs 6"
inlet.

thanks

Doug

I have the HF. When the Y is removed, the opening is 5" not 6". I am
really happy with this unit. I can also tell you that my unit came
shipped with a massive 20amp motor. It is clearly marked 20 amps, not
14. I'm not sure why that happened, I'm pretty sure the unit is
typically made with a 14 amp motor as you've indicated. Nonetheless,
my unit (particularly with that motor) has some impressive suction. It
has functioned very well since I purchased it. I have not upgraded the
bags because my unit sits in a remote room, but others have strongly
suggested the upgrade on the bags. Like you I keep meaning to add an
in-line separator, but haven't done it yet. GOod luck

-
anybody seen them both in the flesh. Really interested in the 5 vs

6"
inlet.

thanks

Joe Tylicki

I have the Grizzley. The 2x4" inlet hides a six inch inlet, which is how I
have it installed in my perimeter system.

Works great and very well built. I replaced the standard bags (30 microns
at the time) with a 1 micron bag from American Fabric Filter.

Joe
"butch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

toller

Yeh, the weight difference is the 220v motor. Those extra 110v are pretty
heavy. (most induction motors can be wired either 120v or 240v, so there is
no difference in weight; but you were just kidding anyhow, no?)

If one is 14a-110v and the other is 12a-220v, then the second is is 70% more
powerful than the first. That probably accounts for the price difference
(as well as the better bag), and maybe the weight difference as well.
My DC is 6a-240v and it is underpowered, so the even weaker HF would have to
be nearly useless.

butch

Joe:
Did you get your DC recently? What did you use for pipes on your
perimeter system. The white PVC drain pipes?

THanks

Joe Tylicki

Not that recently. Had to think about; guessing its been five years. Its
possible they changed it, but what was strange was that the Grizzly ad at
the time mentioned the "hidden" opening was 5", so once I started setting up
and discovered it was six, I had to redesign (happily, in this case) the
system.

I used 26 ga HVAC ducting from a local hardware store (Ace Hardware
franchize), along with long radius elbows and Y fittings from Oneida Air. I
start with six inch, gradually reducing to 5 and then 4 inch along the
perimeter to try and maintain even pressure. The Borgs only carry 28 and 30
ga, don't use that crap. Get yourself a good sheet metal crimper ($10) and
a pop rivet gun, and you are in business. I sealed all the joints with
clear silicone. My blast gates are shop built, but I don't know if I'd go
through the trouble to do that again.

Joe

"butch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Joe:
Did you get your DC recently? What did you use for pipes on your
perimeter system. The white PVC drain pipes?

THanks

Greg O

"toller" wrote in message
news
so the even weaker HF would have to be nearly useless.

I have the HF dust collector, it exceeded my expectations!
It is a very good unit for the money.
Greg

Greg O

"butch" wrote in message
oups.com...
First of all I did searches of this group and red all the posts I could
find. Many others have said these things look very similiar

IMHO the Grizz 1-1/2 HP collector, (G1028Z), is probably a better
comparison to the HF 2 HP collector, (45378). Both have 120 volt motors. The
Grizz is a 1-1/2 HP motor where I believe HF is really a 1-1/2 HP motor that
is over rated.
Greg

The most important difference is the impeller size. Grizzly is 12", HF
is about 10".

arw01

As was indicated earlier the hidden inlet is 5". It would be possible
to enlarge the inlet, and I believe there is a web page talking about
someone doing it.

A photo of the impeller is he

http://alan.firebin.net/images/hf_dust_impellar.jpg

This past weekend I ran the collector extensively with a power monitor
hooked up to it.

Max amps I could draw was 8.45 unless it was starting up, which can hit
16+ for an instant. With 20' of flexible hose, the amps barely
increase.

In comparison I have a grizzley 2hp motor on my Jet CS saw. While
cutting 45 degree bevels in plywood for french cleats I observed amp
usage in the 16's nominally, and over 20 just before stall out.

Also running the collector for 90 minutes used about .7 kwH. Which
around here is about $.04. So one could use it connected to a dust
filter without going broke.

There is room in the impellar housing for a larger impellar, and
looking at Jet's parts diagrams they are not terrible expensive.

I upgraded mine with the Wein cartridge.

Alan

Bob G.

On 13 Mar 2005 09:14:32 -0800, "butch" wrote:

[...]

=====================
I have had my Griz (1029) for about 12-15 years and I know thye have
made changes...

BUT that 2 Hp 220 v motor is a BIG HEAVY SUCKER and I am not kidding..
I removed the "Y" fitting years ago and used a rubber reducer to bring
the outlet down to 4 inches since I use 4 in PVC pipe... But to be
honest I seem to think the outlet was 5 inches not really sure...and
even if I was sure it is an older machine and things change...

Impeller size is more important then HP ratings imho ...

Gut feeling is go with the 220 V unit... While I am not in love with
my Griz It works, and has not given me a single Hint of a problem in
all these years...

I do have a trash can seperator hooked up now....and again being
honest I think it lowered the "suction" down by a good margin....but
it still does what I want ... just do not leave any 1"x1"by 3/4 "
cubes sitting on the top of the drill press table within 3-4 inches of
the DC hose when you open the blast gate... they will not be there
when you turn around....sucked right up and now are in the trash can
on the other side of the shop...

Bob Griffiths
blast gate...because they will be sucked up and in the trash can real
fast..

mac davis

[...]

I guess budget and availability of 220v would be my considerations..

I like my HF DC a lot... I took off the "Y" and run 5" from the DC to the
cyclone, then have the "Y" on the other (inlet) side of the cyclone...
It didn't really make sense to me to build a cyclone and then have one line
using it and one not using it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Tim Douglass

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:57:05 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

I like my HF DC a lot... I took off the "Y" and run 5" from the DC to the
cyclone, then have the "Y" on the other (inlet) side of the cyclone...
It didn't really make sense to me to build a cyclone and then have one line
using it and one not using it..

If the one line only went to a sanding table or something like that I
could see it, but not really worth doing.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
arw01

Today I picked up a delta step reducer so I could connect my 2.5" shop
vac hose to the dust collector since my ancient shop vac died last
week.

With 20 feet of 5" flex hose and 10' for 2.5" flex hose, the HF has
more suction than the shop vac did, is quiter, and has a much larger
bag ..)

SO now I can reach all over the shop and actually stand to have a
vacumn running without my hearing protectors on.

Alan

mac davis

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:18:06 -0500, Bob G. wrote:

[...]

and without that trash can, those cubes would be playing meteor shower on your
impeller.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

wrote:

I like my HF DC a lot... I took off the "Y" and run 5" from the DC to the
cyclone, then have the "Y" on the other (inlet) side of the cyclone...
It didn't really make sense to me to build a cyclone and then have one line
using it and one not using it..

If the one line only went to a sanding table or something like that I
could see it, but not really worth doing.

I had it going to the belt/disk sander, until my wife had a piece of burl come
apart on her and a couple of pieces bounced off the impeller...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On 14 Mar 2005 13:48:59 -0800, "arw01" wrote:

Today I picked up a delta step reducer so I could connect my 2.5" shop
vac hose to the dust collector since my ancient shop vac died last
week.

With 20 feet of 5" flex hose and 10' for 2.5" flex hose, the HF has
more suction than the shop vac did, is quiter, and has a much larger
bag ..)

SO now I can reach all over the shop and actually stand to have a
vacumn running without my hearing protectors on.

Alan

I tried that and though the DC was happy, my plastic garbage can flattened
itself out when I went down to 2 1/2" hose...
I still use it for some floor stuff, but open the gate on the BS first so the
can doesn't collapse..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bob G

blast gate...because they will be sucked up and in the trash can real
fast..

and without that trash can, those cubes would be playing meteor shower on your
impeller.. *g*

mac

Yea...and that "bang" gets your attention... LOL

Been there HEARD that !

Bob Griffiths