Gus

Default Performax 10-20 Opinions

Hello all,

Anyone using the Performax 10-20 ?

If so, what do you think of it?

Do you use it benchtop or on a stand?

I was looking into building a drum sander, but it seems the cost of
building is comparable with the 10-20 when on sale.

Appreciate any opinions you can offer.

Gus

WD

On 9 Mar 2005 08:05:48 -0800, "Gus" wrote:

Why not try Ebay a bid for a 16/32 sander for more or less $500.

http://search.ebay.com/drum-sander_W...QQso focusZbs

http://www.woodwrighttools.com/store...products_id=38

18 X 36in DRUM SANDER CRAFTSMAN LN (wood tools saws)

Hello all,

Anyone using the Performax 10-20 ?

If so, what do you think of it?

Do you use it benchtop or on a stand?

I was looking into building a drum sander, but it seems the cost of
building is comparable with the 10-20 when on sale.

Appreciate any opinions you can offer.

Gus

Ron

I'm not sure what use you want to make of the drum sander from your
posting but here is my impression based on my reason for buying

I purchased the 10-20 about 1 year ago to aid in making veneer. With
some jig making on a thickness planner I could get the planner to go
thin enough but the fragile nature of veneer would often cause the TP
to eat the veneer.

I use the 10-20 on a separate stand. It is fairly heavy but could be
moved on and off a bench as needed (not that I would want to keep
doing this). The set up requires the drum to be set parallel to the
feed which of course makes sense but is a bit of a pain to do. The
feed rollers get in the way so you should make up a couple of blocks
to keep them up and out of the way as you set the drum. The drum
should be set with the paper installed and for absolute precision
needs to be reset each time you change paper. Paper changing is tricky
the first few times till you get the hang of it then it goes pretty
quickly until you factor in the resetting of the drum each time(if you
choose to do so).

The feed roller is a wide sandpaper loop and is a little pain to get
to track accurately but once set remains stable. Be warned I bought a
couple of spare reed roller belts and I feel the price is outrageous
for what they are.

The motor is a bit underpowered and if you are going to use it as a
thickness planner on lumber very small bits are in order. I would find
this to be to time consuming to be of any real value as a thickness
planner.

I have used a 22 inch 220V version of the belt sander an the whole
operation goes smoother and quicker but the 10-20 can do as good a job
within its limits.

I do not believe in sanding for finish so my experience for this is
limited. Grits only seem to be available up to 220 though I could be
wrong on this.

Over all for my limited intended use I have been pleased but would be
more suspect of using it as a thickness planner. As noted above I am
not fond of sanding for finish but for those who do it seems adequate
for this purpose. Grits above 220 be a problem.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Observations: Performax 22-44 Plus [email protected] Woodworking 5 September 27th 04 10:32 AM
Performax 16-32 vs. 22-44 opinions needed... Jon Parry Woodworking 9 February 19th 04 08:25 AM
Opinions on computer home design software Jeff Home Repair 0 January 16th 04 03:27 AM
Performax 22-44 PLUS Mark Bronkalla Woodworking 5 October 20th 03 11:44 PM