Jon Parry

Default Performax 16-32 vs. 22-44 opinions needed...

Greetings all,

I'm in the market for a smallish drum sander, and I am looking at
either the Performax 16-32 or 22-44. Anyone have any practical
experiences / observations / opinions to share?

Many thanks,

Jon.

gabriel

Jon Parry wrote:

I'm in the market for a smallish drum sander, and I am looking at
either the Performax 16-32 or 22-44. Anyone have any practical
experiences / observations / opinions to share?

I have heard over and over from people disappointed that these sanders do
not function that well for thickness sanding.

I would say if you want to take off 0.25" off something you run it through
a thickness planer first. Other than that, I've only heard good stuff
about them.

--
gabriel
Nate B

"Jon Parry"

I'm in the market for a smallish drum sander, and I am looking at
either the Performax 16-32 or 22-44. Anyone have any practical
experiences / observations / opinions to share?

No experience whatsoever, but I've seen both. Seems to me the 22-44 plus is
the same as the 16-32 plus, with some refinements. The 22-44 plus will
slow the feed down if current draw to the motor exceeds some limit. The
22-44 plus also seems to have some subtle improvements to the castings that
improve rigidity and make the machine easier to assemble and service. Makes
sense - the 22-44 plus was clearly designed later after things were learned
making the 16-32 plus.

So - I bought a 22-44 plus. Seems 19" or more of capacity is a good size.
Lots of 18" doors out there. Be interesting to hear from some people who
have used the thing awhile, though.

- Nate

James D Kountz

Actually the 22-44 has been around just as long if not longer than the
16-32. They used to offer it (may still) in a radial arm saw converion too.
When I bought my 16-32 some 8-9 years ago the 22-44 was available then as
well as a huge 50" version.

Jim

Oh and to answer the OP, I love the 16-32, use it everyday and it performs
perfectly.

"Nate B" wrote in message

"Jon Parry"

[...]

Scott

gabriel wrote in message servers.com...
Jon Parry wrote:

I'm in the market for a smallish drum sander, and I am looking at
either the Performax 16-32 or 22-44. Anyone have any practical
experiences / observations / opinions to share?

I have heard over and over from people disappointed that these sanders do
not function that well for thickness sanding.

I would say if you want to take off 0.25" off something you run it through
a thickness planer first. Other than that, I've only heard good stuff
about them.

I have the new "Junior" version of the Performax: the 10-20. I find
it to be a brilliant tool for what it is, and it does just fine for
98% of my needs, costs less, and takes up less room. For $25 a local
cabinet builder will run any large pieces through their commercial
unit. My only regret is that I didn't have it 5 years ago when I
began building guitars: hand-thicknessing all the parts to the nearest
0.1 mm is a real pain, I believe. However, as Gabriel indicated, I
would go to the planer to remove more than 1/8" or so . . .

As for the original question, a local Delta dealer had a compelling
argument for the Delta vs the Performax 16-32. No surpise there I
suppose. I don't recall his exact argument though. American
Woodworker liked the Performax in the below review:

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...rumSanders.pdf

Cheers,

Scott
Nate B

"James D Kountz"

Actually the 22-44 has been around just as long if not longer than the
16-32.

I was speaking of the 22-44 PLUS. You are speaking of something else.

- Nate

Rob Spengler

Jon,
I have a 16-32. It is a good sander, gives a fine finish, Paper is easy to
change. The only nagging problem is keeping the drum and the table (feeder)
aligned, although this is due to the the cantilever design. You just have to
check and adjust regularly.

Rob

"Jon Parry" wrote in message
Greetings all,

I'm in the market for a smallish drum sander, and I am looking at
either the Performax 16-32 or 22-44. Anyone have any practical
experiences / observations / opinions to share?

Many thanks,

Jon.

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Andrew Barss

Scott wrote: : gabriel wrote in
message servers.com...

: As for the original question, a local Delta dealer had a compelling :
argument for the Delta vs the Performax 16-32. No surpise there I :
suppose.

Actually, that's some surprise. There are a LOT of negative comments on
the Delta, and few, if any, on the Performax.

When I bought mine, it was a really clear choice: superb reviews for
Performax, mediocre to abysmal for the Delta.

-- Andy Barss