Mark and Kim Smith

Default Gloat! Found some wood in the middle of the road!

I'm putting along when I see something in the middle of the road near an
intersection. I pull over to the side, ( this stuff is in the left lane
of a three lane road ) and have a look. It is some nice straight KD
twobys! So I look around and it doesn't look like anyone is missing
this stuff, so I load it in the truck and take off. Not sure what I'm
going to do with it yet! I can't believe someone would just drop this
stuff in the middle of the road and not come back for it!!
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

I'm putting along when I see something in the middle of the road near an
intersection. I pull over to the side, ( this stuff is in the left lane
of a three lane road ) and have a look. It is some nice straight KD
twobys! So I look around and it doesn't look like anyone is missing
this stuff, so I load it in the truck and take off. Not sure what I'm
going to do with it yet! I can't believe someone would just drop this
stuff in the middle of the road and not come back for it!!

WHAT THE HELL! Obviously someone dropped it out the back of their pickup
when they attempted a jack-rabbit getaway from the light to get to the
far right lane before the turnoff. How do you know the guy didn't circle
around the block to retrieve it as you were STEALING it off the pavement?

You need to return to the scene of your CRIME and post a sign board
stating that you STOLE this stuff and would happily return it to its
rightful owner.

YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Edwin Pawlowski

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message newsnlnlowe-
WHAT THE HELL! Obviously someone dropped it out the back of their pickup
when they attempted a jack-rabbit getaway from the light to get to the
far right lane before the turnoff. How do you know the guy didn't circle
around the block to retrieve it as you were STEALING it off the pavement?

You need to return to the scene of your CRIME and post a sign board
stating that you STOLE this stuff and would happily return it to its
rightful owner.

YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Rather than get caught with the stolen goods, why not sell it on Ebay? All
the crooks do it.

LL

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:42:34 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC
wrote:

In article ,
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

[...]

So? What about properly securing the load? Doesn't sound like the
person that lost these 2Xs did that. They're lucky they only landed
on the road instead of punching through someone's grille or
windshield. So losing the boards to a scavenger is the least of his
worries. Had the one that dropped the 2Xs caused damage to anyone's
vehicle, they'd be explaining it all to the law and to their
insurance.

Lesson: secure the load and you won't be losing anything to anyone.

HerHusband

someone dropped it out the back of their pickup when they attempted
a jack-rabbit getaway from the light

I actually did something like that myself about 20 years ago... I was
building a small shed and had my utility trailer loaded up with plywood,
framing lumber, and roof shingles. Foolishly, I did not tie down the
load, despite the trailer just being a flat bed... I stopped at a traffic
light, and pulled away "slowly" when the light turned green. The load slid
backwards, lifting the front of my trailer and the back of my car into the
air and the entire load was left sitting in the middle of the road.
Thankfully, the guy behind me watched the whole thing and helped me reload.

The most surprising thing to me was how easily the whole load slid out at
such a low speed. I guess objects at rest "do" tend to stay at rest. I
just drove out from under it all...

But, I apparently did not learn my lesson from that little mishap... About
5 years ago I was delivering a small load of firewood to my in-laws. My
sister in-law wanted me to take a couch along too so I layed a tarp on the
firewood, and sat the couch on top. The couch sat at least a foot down in
the trailer, so I wasn't real worried about it. I drove all over town and
about 20 miles that way with no problems. As luck would have it, I went
over a small hump in the road about a mile from my in-laws house and the
couch and tarp lifted up out of the trailer and went flying through the
air! My sister in-law was following behind us, and my wife just kept
screaming "you killed my sister!". Surprising, the couch landed softly
on the side of the road, still sitting on top of the tarp. No harm done,
but I finally learned my lesson. I tie down EVERYTHING now, no matter how
small or heavy the load.

I'm older and hopefully wiser now, but my family never lets me forget the
day I "flew a couch"...

Anthony
Robert Allison

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message newsnlnlowe-

WHAT THE HELL! Obviously someone dropped it out the back of their pickup
when they attempted a jack-rabbit getaway from the light to get to the
far right lane before the turnoff. How do you know the guy didn't circle
around the block to retrieve it as you were STEALING it off the pavement?

You need to return to the scene of your CRIME and post a sign board
stating that you STOLE this stuff and would happily return it to its
rightful owner.

YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Rather than get caught with the stolen goods, why not sell it on Ebay? All
the crooks do it.

If you decide to sell it on ebay, be sure to grind off the serial
numbers. Apparently that is how crooks just like the OP are being
caught. By the serial numbers.

I know this to be true.

I had a job site that was inside a populated, fully functional apartment
complex. We were there because we were working on the apartments. We
had a small parking area all to ourselves for our trailers, materials,
etc. We installed some 4" pipe vertically on either side of the
entrance to this parking area and installed a chain with a lock on it.
This was because we were tired of replacing the sawhorses that the
tenants would run over so they could park in our area.

One day I came in and, noticing that the lumber piles were alot smaller,
thought "Wow, the boys did alot of work yesterday!" Being one who gives
lavish praise when due, gathered the crew together and started off with
comments about their bravery and industriousness in the face of grueling
sun and arduous labor. After seeing their puzzled faces, I explained
"that they were getting a lot of work done", and "ustedes hechen mucho
trabajo ayer". At this point, my lead man explained that they had only
worked 2 hours yesterday and had left due to rain at about 9:30.

Uh oh!

I spoke with my lead man and sure enough, we had been robbed. We
checked the trailers and the only things that was missing were materials
(3/4" plywood, 2x4x10s and x12s and some 2x8x12s). I called the police,
more for the benefit of the tenants than in any hope of recovering
anything, and, of course, for insurance purposes, just in case my losses
should ever possibly reach my 5 million dollar deductible.

The police dispatcher immediately radioed all units to respond, because
in a mere 6 hours a bright shiny new officer arrived to take my report.

"Thank god you're here, my men have been afraid to touch anything for
fear of disturbing any evidence" I said. The officer seemed amused by this.

I described as well as I could the items that had been pilfered from our
site which he dutifully wrote down on a theft report. I asked him when
the forensic team would be out to start taking DNA samples from everyone
and dusting the area for fingerprints and tire tracks. Once again he
seemed amused by this idea and actually chuckled a bit. He explained
that there would be no "team" and that he was it.

I asked him how they would ever be able to recover our stolen stuff and
his reply was: "Do you have serial numbers for any of this stuff? We
usually track stolen property by serial numbers."

I told him that I would check my invoices and get back to him.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
bremen68

Okay, it wasn't stealing it was a public service. He stopped and
removed a very real danger from an intersection.

Imagine the surprise of some kid in one of those toy cars that they're
so fond of lowering and making sound like chainsaws coming down the
street and running over that stuff. Waste of wood and waste of car.

He should be congratulated for his thoughtful deed.

The way I've always thought of it is kinda like the law of the
sea.......If you find it in the road....you get salvage rights. Now,
I'm not talking vehicles here, just stuff. I've found tools, video
cameras, and several other miscellaneous items. (I must admit I did
run an add for the video camera but got no response)

Robert Allison

bremen68 wrote:

Okay, it wasn't stealing it was a public service. He stopped and
removed a very real danger from an intersection.

Imagine the surprise of some kid in one of those toy cars that they're
so fond of lowering and making sound like chainsaws coming down the
street and running over that stuff. Waste of wood and waste of car.

He should be congratulated for his thoughtful deed.

The way I've always thought of it is kinda like the law of the
sea.......If you find it in the road....you get salvage rights. Now,
I'm not talking vehicles here, just stuff. I've found tools, video
cameras, and several other miscellaneous items. (I must admit I did
run an add for the video camera but got no response)

I am not sure who you are really responding to here, but if it was me,
then here is my reply.

I was actually making no judgements on the OPs act. OK maybe I was.
But I was only trying to help him keep out of trouble. If he were to
post those 2x4s on ebay without removing the serial numbers, he could be
arrested and jailed for his samaritan act! Would you want that to happen?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
hikinandbikin

I actually saw something about the other end of this circumstance in
another post. Not sure if it was here or at another forum. You may want
to check Woodnet and the woodworking.com sawmillcreek.org forums. If
this is the same instance the other dude was kinda ****ed. Apparently
he had spent a fair amount of time sorting the wood.

hikinandbikin

Yeah it was here. See OT: Haulin' with the 'gate down...Was Trucks
topic down a few pages. I bet you would have a pretty good friend if
you gave the stuff back. W

LRod

On 9 Mar 2005 11:07:12 -0800, "hikinandbikin"
wrote:

Yeah it was here. See OT: Haulin' with the 'gate down...Was Trucks
topic down a few pages. I bet you would have a pretty good friend if
you gave the stuff back. W

How does your mouth feel with that big ol' hook in it?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Dave in Fairfax

hikinandbikin wrote:
Yeah it was here. See OT: Haulin' with the 'gate down...Was Trucks
topic down a few pages. I bet you would have a pretty good friend if
you gave the stuff back. W

So, you usin' barbless or treble? I never woulda believed you
could get this kinda haul with bait like that.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 14:23:31 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
In article ,
(J T) wrote:

Seems that Australia, where he lives,
doesn't use 911 for emergency calls.

Yep - they dial 119.

116, surely?

Silvan

HerHusband wrote:

about 20 miles that way with no problems. As luck would have it, I went
over a small hump in the road about a mile from my in-laws house and the

I'm older and hopefully wiser now, but my family never lets me forget the
day I "flew a couch"...

Boy, this brings back memories. I already told the story, I'm sure, but
I'll tell it again.

Friend of mine, piano player, church giving him the antique player piano out
of his basement. Isuzu pickup truck. No straps. "Don't you want to tie
that down?" "Nah, it will be OK. I don't have any rope." "Oooookay."

So we get all the way across town, over the hill and through the woods, and
on the final turn up to Grandma's house, he hit, yes, a little hump in the
road about 1500' from his final destination.

WAHFLUNGONK!!!!!!!

Bits of ebony and ivory all over the place, kafloom, gone. Amazingly, the
sound board survived, and some guy picked up all the ruined pieces of that
thing and made a working pie-anner out of it again.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:40:17 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:

hikinandbikin wrote:
Yeah it was here. See OT: Haulin' with the 'gate down...Was Trucks
topic down a few pages. I bet you would have a pretty good friend if
you gave the stuff back. W

So, you usin' barbless or treble? I never woulda believed you
could get this kinda haul with bait like that.

Dave in Fairfax

That's the problem with catch and release; doesn't clean out the shallow
end of the gene pool.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Renata

Even tying down isn't a guarantee.

Was taking a load from parents' house to my house - trailer full.
Neighbor and SIL very carefully spent at least thirty minutes tying
down a tarp around the whole load.

The load was mainly those office supply boxes that hold a ream of
paper.

Not 10 miles into the drive, after having flapped for the previous 2
miles, the tarp blows off.

The "rope" broke on two of the corners.

As I'm glancing at the side rearview mirror, the car behind us veers
sharply into the shoulder and back. I'm thinking, what drugs is he
on.

Turns out the lids of the boxes started blowing off and one smacked
him in the windshield. My SIL (driving) saw it. We pulled over,
flipped the boxes upside down.

Not 2 miles later, one of the boxes blows off! The box had held
fabrics so it was fairly light. The fabric mostly stayed behind.

NOw we go even slower until...

Soon as we spot some rocks by the roadside (drainage culvert), we pull
over and put a rock on each box. Got to MD without incident for the
remaining drive. Got some nice white rocks for garden as a bonus.

So, the lesson is don't use yarn (YARN!) to tie down the tarp.
Seems like we were short of rope and they used whatever they could
find lying around. Including some nice thick yarn (thick, but it was
still YARN!).

Renata

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:05:42 -0600, HerHusband
wrote:
-snip-
but I finally learned my lesson. I tie down EVERYTHING now, no matter how
small or heavy the load.

Anthony

Stephen Bigelow

WHAT THE HELL! Obviously someone dropped it out the back of their pickup
when they attempted a jack-rabbit getaway from the light to get to the

YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

Sounds like good fishing. Hook set, and you've landed yourself a big
one...

Regards,
-Steve in Banks, OR
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com
Mark

They probably did. I'm convinced the road Gods do this.
Within the past year, I've collected a nice 30" oak log which was given up
to the fireplace, a needed Reese hitch attachment (just bought and attached
the hitch to the truck the day before!), 5 gallons of gas, bungee cords, and
a J hook with attached chain. These are just a few items which come easily
to mind.
Mark

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
I'm putting along when I see something in the middle of the road near an
intersection. I pull over to the side, ( this stuff is in the left lane
of a three lane road ) and have a look. It is some nice straight KD
twobys! So I look around and it doesn't look like anyone is missing
this stuff, so I load it in the truck and take off. Not sure what I'm
going to do with it yet! I can't believe someone would just drop this
stuff in the middle of the road and not come back for it!!

Lawrence Wasserman

I was on my way to work one morning, and traffic was moving at a
stop-and-go pace on the freeway entrance ramp. I spotted something red
lying on the ground on the left side of the ramp. As I came alongside
it, I opended up my door and picked up an 18 inch Ridgid pipe wrench.
Didn't even have to unbuckle my seat belt or get out of the car.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Mark

Good one!
You must be a boater...we've learned the scoop technique at an early age for
those more bouyant treasures!
Mark

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message
I was on my way to work one morning, and traffic was moving at a
stop-and-go pace on the freeway entrance ramp. I spotted something red
lying on the ground on the left side of the ramp. As I came alongside
it, I opended up my door and picked up an 18 inch Ridgid pipe wrench.
Didn't even have to unbuckle my seat belt or get out of the car.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

### micro-FAQ on wood # 032 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 February 23rd 05 01:02 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 028 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 January 5th 05 08:03 AM
FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### Micro-FAQ on wood # 002 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 1 February 1st 04 02:06 PM
### Micro-FAQ on wood # 002 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 9 January 19th 04 03:31 AM