Robatoy

Default Topic: Safety

A long time co-worker/friend/competitor of mine has hurt himself.
Nothing fatal.
He is the most safety-aware guy a boss could ask for.
An excellent cabinet maker for 25 years.
Took a 1 1/2" 16 ga Paslode finishing nail in the wrist.
Right in the joint. It managed to distort going into the joint to the
point that extraction wasn't an option. The Xray (I want a copy) shows
it looks like the letter Z.
3 (three) days that sucker was in there before the medical team could
decide how to go about taking that sucker outta there.
They sortakinda partially removed/hinged his hand, opening the joint so
that they could remove that nail.
Moral of the story is that even the most experienced guys can get
injured.

Nail guns are very dangerous. They are giving them away these days.
To anybody!

Just the thought of a nail in a joint is giving me the creeps.

0¿0

Rob
Leon

Thanks for the reminder that NO ONE is incapable of making a mistake.

Robert Allison

Robatoy wrote:

[...]

I have shot myself 7 times with nail guns and staple guns in the past 30
years. I was once shot by another person for a total of eight times. 3
of those were 12d framing nails. Other than getting a tetanus shot, I
have never had to go to the doctor for this.

By far the most painful was with a 4d finish nail. I was trying to hold
a shelf board flush with the front of the shelf unit. The nail hit a
knot and came out the side and into the tip of my index finger. Only
penetrated about 1/4" (to the bone), but it felt like a bolt of
lightning. That is the only time I had to go home, and it was the
smallest injury.

I have fired at least a thousand boxes of nails of all kinds. If the
average box has 5,000 nails, that is 5,000,000 nails. That is close to
1.5 in a million. Start counting. If your close, be extra careful.

With every penetration, I have noticed that my technique changes a bit.
I haven't been hit for the last 8 years, so maybe I am close to
getting it right. I will let you know the next time I get hit. I
figure that it is just a matter of time. If you use it enough, you will
shoot yourself.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robatoy
A long time co-worker/friend/competitor of mine has hurt himself.
Nothing fatal.
He is the most safety-aware guy a boss could ask for.
_snip_
Moral of the story is that even the most experienced guys can get
injured.

Nail guns are very dangerous. They are giving them away these days.
To anybody!

Just the thought of a nail in a joint is giving me the creeps.

0¿0

Rob
Man, I'd hate to mess with my hands like that. Well, now I don't feel so alone. Recieved a 2-inch long, 1/2-inch crown staple in my kneecap while roofing in a cold climate, wearing heavy gloves. It's hard to feel that trigger while you're freezing your a** off, and messing with a safety harness/rope. Later in the hospital, with all the interns gathered 'round, it was removed with a pair of vise-grips and a hammer. Yow. Tom
Work at your leisure!