Kim

Default Craftsman Twin Cutter

Looks like an angle grinder with twin 6 1/8" carbide blades rotating in
opposite directions. Cuts all kinds of material from aluminum, copper,
steel, wood to plastic. Cuts thin sheets, tubings, rebars without kickback
and without burs. Doesn't seem like the blade, at $50 for the set, will last
too long. Its proprietary so if Sears stop making those blades you are dead
in the water. Any opinions?

Leon

"Kim" wrote in message
Looks like an angle grinder with twin 6 1/8" carbide blades rotating in
opposite directions. Cuts all kinds of material from aluminum, copper,
steel, wood to plastic. Cuts thin sheets, tubings, rebars without kickback
and without burs. Doesn't seem like the blade, at $50 for the set, will
last too long. Its proprietary so if Sears stop making those blades you
are dead in the water. Any opinions?

With you observations, buy one and try it out. If you like it, buy spare
blades now.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:34:47 -0800, the inscrutable "Kim"
spake:

Looks like an angle grinder with twin 6 1/8" carbide blades rotating in
opposite directions. Cuts all kinds of material from aluminum, copper,
steel, wood to plastic. Cuts thin sheets, tubings, rebars without kickback
and without burs. Doesn't seem like the blade, at $50 for the set, will last
too long. Its proprietary so if Sears stop making those blades you are dead
in the water. Any opinions?

Searz? RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Kim wrote:
Looks like an angle grinder with twin 6 1/8" carbide blades rotating

in
opposite directions. Cuts all kinds of material from aluminum,

copper,
steel, wood to plastic. Cuts thin sheets, tubings, rebars without

kickback
and without burs. Doesn't seem like the blade, at $50 for the set,

will last
too long. Its proprietary so if Sears stop making those blades you

are dead
in the water. Any opinions?

I saw one demonstrated on the weekend. While it did look impressive, I
see a couple of negatives. First, because you've got blades with
guards around them that are probably 7" in diameter, the machine can't
get into any kind of tight spot. Most of my need to cut "anything"
comes during renovation work. I don't see this as being of much help,
because you'd still need the reciprocating saw more often than not.

Cutting loose materials, on the other hand, is better done with
stationary tools. Table and miter saws for wood, plastic, aluminum,
copper (with non-ferrous blades) and an abrasive cut-off saw for steel.

We share my second concern that the blades will be expensive to
maintain, especially if you use this thing to cut steel.

Seems to me like it was a jack of all trades but master of none.

Tim

mac davis

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:34:47 -0800, "Kim" wrote:

Looks like an angle grinder with twin 6 1/8" carbide blades rotating in
opposite directions. Cuts all kinds of material from aluminum, copper,
steel, wood to plastic. Cuts thin sheets, tubings, rebars without kickback
and without burs. Doesn't seem like the blade, at $50 for the set, will last
too long. Its proprietary so if Sears stop making those blades you are dead
in the water. Any opinions?

I saw the pictures of thatching and decided that I had no use for it..
especially after picturing something jamming between 2 blades that are trying to
rotate in 2 different directions.. *shudder*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Patriarch

"Kim" wrote in :

Looks like an angle grinder with twin 6 1/8" carbide blades rotating
in opposite directions. Cuts all kinds of material from aluminum,
copper, steel, wood to plastic. Cuts thin sheets, tubings, rebars
without kickback and without burs. Doesn't seem like the blade, at $50
for the set, will last too long. Its proprietary so if Sears stop
making those blades you are dead in the water. Any opinions?

Before this thing came out, Sandor Nagazalczy (sp?), one of the Taunton
authors who writes a lot about tools, came to visit our wood club, and talk
about tools. He was pretty excited about this thing. Said that it was
counterintutive, but there was no kickback at all. Seemed much safer than
your average circular saw.

Somebody is making it for Sears...

If I needed something like it, I'd get one. But I don't, yet.

Patriarch