Robert Johnson

Default router info

I'm looking to purchase a router.

I generally like good brand names, so I'm a bit drawn to PC. Any
comments on 694VK or 893PK?

I haven't seen the 694VK around town, although I could order it for
about C$320 - according to their web site, there aren't many 1-3/4 HP
with variable speed. There seem to be plenty of variants of the 89X
around for about C$380.

I think I'd like the variable speed & dual collet for doing larger
hardwood cuts (raised panels). Not sure how attractive the plunge base
is.

Had someone trying to sell me up on a Hitachi - 2-1/4HP, with most bells
and whistles.

If anyone could tell me where to get a good price in Ottawa or Toronto,
let me know.

Thanks,

Robert

Some selection criteria at the
http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html link.

butch

Do a search on routers in this group - has been some discussion of
problems with stalling on PC routers with the variable speed feature.

JGS

Hi Robert,
If you plan on doing more that a couple of raised panels I think you will
want more than 1 3/4 hp. No one router will do it all well. For a great
lighter router I would suggest the DeWalt 621 from Rona or the Dewalt store
during one of their sales.
For a larger one I would get a Triton from Busy Bee. If you are like most
people you will easily spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars on bits over the next
few years, so spending 30 or 60$ on a better router now will seem like a
good deal in a few years. Cheers, JG

Robert Johnson wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a router.

I generally like good brand names, so I'm a bit drawn to PC. Any
comments on 694VK or 893PK?

I haven't seen the 694VK around town, although I could order it for
about C$320 - according to their web site, there aren't many 1-3/4 HP
with variable speed. There seem to be plenty of variants of the 89X
around for about C$380.

I think I'd like the variable speed & dual collet for doing larger
hardwood cuts (raised panels). Not sure how attractive the plunge base
is.

Had someone trying to sell me up on a Hitachi - 2-1/4HP, with most bells
and whistles.

If anyone could tell me where to get a good price in Ottawa or Toronto,
let me know.

Thanks,

Robert

J & K Tomalonis

"Robert Johnson" wrote in message

I'm looking to purchase a router.

I generally like good brand names, so I'm a bit drawn to PC. Any
comments on 694VK or 893PK?

The ultimate goal here is to have one router for every bit. By the time you
achieve this lofty goal, you'll have bought enough different models to learn
what you like.

I'm leaning toward Porter Cable. I still don't have any Bosch or Milwaukee.
:-(

James

Ken

Take a look at the New Festool OF 1400 EQ, a bit salty, but the best router
you'll ever handle, I have a furniture business, I have nine routers and it
is the most balanced an easy to use of them all.
If you knock the Festool, then you've never owned one.

Ken

[...]

Lew Hodgett

Ken wrote:
Take a look at the New Festool OF 1400 EQ, a bit salty, but the best router
you'll ever handle, I have a furniture business, I have nine routers and it
is the most balanced an easy to use of them all.
If you knock the Festool, then you've never owned one.

Typical German stuff.

Same kind of quality as Fein.

A local hardware here in SoCal has started handling it.

Overnight delivery from the Festool warehouse in Nevada.

In the SFWIW category.

That hardware has been around a long time.

Home Depot opened up down the street, but they don't appear to be doing
well.

Hardware is getting along just fine.

Lew