GerryG

Bruce, I've tried those biscuit glue applicators. Here I have to agree with
Ed's posted response. to wit: they are a PITA. Also as he noted, I went back
to a brush. On end-grain, dissecting the joint won't show anything really.
Yes, it would be weaker, but still fairly strong. And that, of course, is a
relative term. Where you really need strength I've also use lap and bridle
joints, as they support shearing torque, where a biscuit fairs poorly. As to
the biscuit pulling loose due to end grain, I don't think it would happen very
easily.
GerryG

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:13:04 -0700, Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:39:16 -0700, GerryG wrote
(in article ):

When I first started with biscuits, I cut open some joints to see just how
well it was bonded, under different conditions. It's not difficult (or
expensive) to quickly try a dozen variations on a single piece of scrap. I
tried different amounts of glue and how well it was spread. Found the right
amount of glue and such gives a solid joint with little squeeze-out. As
expected, found MDF, particle board and such absorbs more glue. You either
apply a bit more or, like when gluing end grain, put on a thin coat then add
more a few minutes later. Now, the reason for expounding on this: if you add
glue to the biscuit, you're then very limited on time, and I don't see any
advantage. I build carcasses with shelves and such that may need several

dozen
biscuits applied at once. With clamps and all laid in position, I take a bag
of biscuits and a small rubber mallet. Each biscuit is pushed in, then 2
hammer taps, then the next. It makes for very neat and quick construction.

Gerry,
Have you ever tried one of those "biscuit" glue applicators? I've seen
TheNorm use one and they seem to speed application. I actually have a cheap
one but given the pain it would be to clean and my infrequent use of biscuits
I've never tried it.

In your tests, have you ever dissected an end-grain to end-grain joint?
Whenever I had to do this I've just used a half lap, figured biscuits would
be too weak.

-Bruce

Treetops

About to glue up a 500 biscuit project so any glue aid would be nice. =
What is an acid brush? And how does it help with biscuit glueing?
Thanks.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message =
om...
=20
"Bruce" wrote in message
Gerry,
Have you ever tried one of those "biscuit" glue applicators? I've =

seen
TheNorm use one and they seem to speed application. I actually have =

a=20
cheap
one but given the pain it would be to clean and my infrequent use of =

biscuits
I've never tried it.

=20
I'll save you a lot of time, Bruce. I tried it and it is a PITA and =

does=20
not spread the glue all that well. Use an acid brush and be done with =

it.
--=20
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/=20
=20

CW

http://www.freemansupply.com/AcidBrush.htm

"Treetops" wrote in message
About to glue up a 500 biscuit project so any glue aid would be nice. What
is an acid brush? And how does it help with biscuit glueing?
Thanks.
"

GerryG

biscuit joining
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...28ringpj1.html
acid brushes
http://www.weilercorp.com/pg137.htm
Veritas's acid brushes
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,43034
and many others have them also.

They are (very) cheap, small, disposable brushes. A small, shaped piece of
thin wood will also work, but a brush is a bit easier.
GerryG

--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

mac davis

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:27:57 -0500, "Treetops" wrote:

About to glue up a 500 biscuit project so any glue aid would be nice. What is an acid brush? And how does it help with biscuit glueing?
Thanks.

I've never tried this, but it might be worth testing one of those bbq sauce
squeeze bottles with the brush on the end.. 500 biscuits is a LOT of gluing...

when you're doing that many, cleanup of an applicator isn't that big of a
deal... I wouldn't try it for a 10 or 12 biscuit project...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Bruce

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 07:27:57 -0700, Treetops wrote
(in article ):

About to glue up a 500 biscuit project so any glue aid would be nice. What is

an acid brush? And how does it help with biscuit glueing?
Thanks.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

Others have already shown you what they are but if you use a lot of them the
set of 50 sold by Harbor Freight when on sale are a good buy (something like
$1.99/50)

I recommend either clipping the bristles to about 1/2" long or wrapping a
piece of tape around the base o the bristles to keep them from spreading out
too much.

-Bruce

BillyBob

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Their interaction system for odd/unusual events is very difficult--they
hide their responders behind anonymous addresses and have only a
web-based engine that removes all context for any response to theirs.
Since it's also not a case of where a single individual will follow up
on the original it often takes a bunch of tries to finally get the
actual issue resolved.

Amazon has an 800 number with a real person on the other end. I've called
them to check on an order before and I got an American English speaking
person in a couple of rings.

Bob

Treetops

Thanks all for the brush info. As it turns out, I bought some of these =
brushes last week at local woodworkers store. They were labeled =
"disposable" not "acid" but being next to other biscuit stuff figured =
they might be good for glueing. Now I know for sure as the good people =
at the wreck have educated me!!
Also bought a $5 biscuit glue dispenser. Will give it a try althought =
others in this thread didn't give it high marks.
Bruce's suggestion of trimming these brushes to 1/2" sounds good; they =
don't seem stiff enough as is to keep shape very long.
This project is still on the drawing board and involves 10 cabinet =
carcasses for my home entertainment room. Am a biscuit newbie so reading =
up a lot on the subject. But spring is almost in the air so this =
"winter" project may wait till next year.

"Bruce" wrote in message =
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 07:27:57 -0700, Treetops wrote
(in article ):
=20
About to glue up a 500 biscuit project so any glue aid would be =

nice. What is=20
=20
an acid brush? And how does it help with biscuit glueing?
Thanks.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message=20
om...

=20
Others have already shown you what they are but if you use a lot of =

them the
set of 50 sold by Harbor Freight when on sale are a good buy =

(something like=20
$1.99/50)
=20
I recommend either clipping the bristles to about 1/2" long or =

wrapping a=20
piece of tape around the base o the bristles to keep them from =

spreading out=20
too much.
=20
-Bruce
=20
=20

Duane Bozarth

BillyBob wrote:

Amazon has an 800 number with a real person on the other end. I've called
them to check on an order before and I got an American English speaking
person in a couple of rings.

Maybe I'll have to try that again...when I last tried, it was 10 minutes
of "we value your call"...

Aside--wrt to the delay since last October on shipment of Freud planer
knives that prompted the complaint...

After specifically requesting they turn off the auto-timeout function on
the notification of delay robot as I didn't care much about delivery
date since I am ordering the extra set of knives for inventory when I do
need to send the carbide knives off for sharpening, yesterday I got an
auto-generated cancellation notice. So, apparently they shut of the
notification 'bot but not the cancellation 'bot... Smart!