Lou Chorich

Default FS: Drill Press and Jointer

I'm finishing half of my basement and must sell some tools to make room.

Delta 6" Professional Jointer, model 37-195. Used about four times.
Includes brand new Jointer Pal knife setting tool ($45 value) and manual.
Like new. asking $250

http://home.columbus.rr.com/chorich/Jointer.jpg

Delta 14" Drill Press, model 14-070. Has seen very little use. Includes
Incra drill press table and fence ($119 value), Mortising attachment (part
17-924, $60 value), and manual. asking $250

http://home.columbus.rr.com/chorich/DrillPress.jpg

Both items are located in Worthington, Ohio. You must be able to pick them
up at my home. I'll need at least one person who can assist me in getting
them out of my basement and into your vehicle.

Please reply to

Thanks, Lou

I will buy both machines....please call me at 765-795-4044 or e-mail at

thanks,
Mike

www.americansycamoreretreat.com is interested in buying both machines
please call 765-795-4044
my e mail address is aswr followed by @ then ccrtc.com
trying to post my email seams not to work?
Mike

Greg O

"Lou Chorich" wrote in message
I'm finishing half of my basement and must sell some tools to make room.

Why in the hell are all the good tool deals somewhere else?!
This jointer would bring $500 locally, even though new price for the jointer
and base sell new for about $600!
Greg

Unquestionably Confused

Greg O wrote:
"Lou Chorich" wrote in message

I'm finishing half of my basement and must sell some tools to make room.

Why in the hell are all the good tool deals somewhere else?!
This jointer would bring $500 locally, even though new price for the jointer
and base sell new for about $600!

I always used to say the same thing then I started keeping my eyes open
and always, always carrying a blank check and several one hundred dollar
bills stashed in my wallet.

Never know when you'll come across a gloat worthy bargain. I do
frequently (way too frequently, according to SWMBO) and that's the key:
Look hard, act fast!

Bob
Greg O

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
m...

I always used to say the same thing then I started keeping my eyes open
and always, always carrying a blank check and several one hundred dollar
bills stashed in my wallet.

Never know when you'll come across a gloat worthy bargain. I do
frequently (way too frequently, according to SWMBO) and that's the key:
Look hard, act fast!

Bob

I looked for a good jointer for over three years! Anything good, like a Jet
or Delta the owner was asking 80% of new price! Everything else was worn out
junk like 70's Craftsman with worn out gibe for $200. I can't count the
number of Craftsman jointers I have looked at that were real junk.
I finally gave up and bought a new Jet 6" closed stand .
Greg

Joe Liu

Harbor Freight, www.harborfreight.com, you'll be surprised by the good
prices you find there. (e.g. a 7" industrial rabbeting jointer with
stand, $219, all kinds of drill press from $59 to $459).
Many of their tools are of decent quality, some may not. But at their
prices, you can afford to
buy a few more. (some tools cost half, 1/3 or still less than what you used
to pay). It's almost like leasing. When you need it, go get one. It's cheap!
And as Lou noted, he doesn't use the tools that often (most of us don't).
The Harbor Freight tools are perfectly good for the home users. But if you
need to make a living with the tools, then you may want to spent the triple,
quadruple or more for the really high quality products.

There is a Harbor Freight store in Columbus Square off Cleveland Ave.

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Lou Chorich" wrote in message
I'm finishing half of my basement and must sell some tools to make room.

Why in the hell are all the good tool deals somewhere else?!
This jointer would bring $500 locally, even though new price for the

jointer
and base sell new for about $600!
Greg

Greg O

There is a Harbor Freight in our city. Generally I am not impressed with
their tools. I have a HF 2HP dust collector, but their jointer was a bit to
close to the low end for me. I am allot more comfortable paying $550 for a
Jet, than $200 for the HF!
I generally buy higher end tools, I just don't like paying regular price for
them!
Greg

m...

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Lou Chorich" wrote in message
I'm finishing half of my basement and must sell some tools to make
room.

Why in the hell are all the good tool deals somewhere else?!
This jointer would bring $500 locally, even though new price for the

jointer
and base sell new for about $600!
Greg

Joe Liu

I look at it this way, I can spend $200 for a HF now and have $350 to spare.
2 years later if my HF is not holding up and I need to use another one, I
can spend another $200 for the same HF or maybe by then a better model or
better deal is out there. Yet, I still have $150 to spare, which will allow
me to the time to get a better model or better deal later. Chances are that
your whole $350 will not be used on the same thing. You get to save that
$350 or use it for some other nice tools you always wanted. You may even
find a Jet for $250 as Lou was asking if you still want a Jet.

But of course, if you want to spend the money now and help the economy,
that's another matter.

If nothing else, business like HF has to put some pressures on the Jets and
Delta's to reduce their costs.

"Greg O" wrote in message
There is a Harbor Freight in our city. Generally I am not impressed with
their tools. I have a HF 2HP dust collector, but their jointer was a bit

close to the low end for me. I am allot more comfortable paying $550 for a
Jet, than $200 for the HF!
I generally buy higher end tools, I just don't like paying regular price

for
them!
Greg

m...

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Lou Chorich" wrote in message
I'm finishing half of my basement and must sell some tools to make
room.

Why in the hell are all the good tool deals somewhere else?!
This jointer would bring $500 locally, even though new price for the

jointer
and base sell new for about $600!
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Liu" wrote in message
. com...
I look at it this way, I can spend $200 for a HF now and have $350 to
spare.
2 years later if my HF is not holding up and I need to use another one, I
can spend another $200 for the same HF or maybe by then a better model or
better deal is out there.

The logic of your argument sound very reasonable and sensible. What is left
out though, is the annoyance and frustration factor. If a tool is not tuned
properly and cannot cut as accurately, break blades, ruins wood, make a
project take lots longer, what is that worth?

Sometimes a cheap tool is OK for getting a job done. HF has a fairly good
reputation for its nailers and clamps. If jointer tables are not flat,
cannot be aligned, etc, you are not saving anything. Your money, your
choice.

Mike Marlow

"Joe Liu" wrote in message
. com...
I look at it this way, I can spend $200 for a HF now and have $350 to

spare.
2 years later if my HF is not holding up and I need to use another one, I
can spend another $200 for the same HF or maybe by then a better model or
better deal is out there. Yet, I still have $150 to spare, which will

allow
me to the time to get a better model or better deal later. Chances are

that
your whole $350 will not be used on the same thing. You get to save that
$350 or use it for some other nice tools you always wanted. You may even
find a Jet for $250 as Lou was asking if you still want a Jet.

The only problem with this logic is that it assumes that the quality is
built into the cheap product enough that it will serve as well, or near
enough as well as the better product, but maybe not for as long. This is
generally not the case. So, for those 2 years that you're speaking of,
you'll be fighting with QC issues and design issues that keep you from
getting well jointed edges or drilling straight holes. Nothing gained by
that. Some of the lower priced tools actually do perform pretty well and
their only real drawback is that they would not stand up to high volume use.
For a lot of home shop folks, that is just fine. Their equipment will never
see high volume and could conceivably perform well for a lifetime. It does
come down to the piece of equipment. Not all of it works in even an almost
reasonable manner right out of the box, and not all of it fails to work in a
reasonable manner.

But of course, if you want to spend the money now and help the economy,
that's another matter.

Or perhaps, spend his money only once for a lifetime, and not have to deal
with replacing a pretty substantial tool, or having it break in the middle
of use, or find himself doing more setups and adjustments than he should.

If nothing else, business like HF has to put some pressures on the Jets

and
Delta's to reduce their costs.

That would be nice, but there is such a gap between what HF offers and what
its target audience is and what the bigger name tool manufacturers offer
that it's unlikely there will be too much price shifting. When was the last
time we saw Mercedes drop their prices because a Kia dealer moved into town?
--

-Mike-

B a r r y

Mike Marlow wrote:

The only problem with this logic is that it assumes that the quality is
built into the cheap product enough that it will serve as well, or near
enough as well as the better product, but maybe not for as long. This is
generally not the case.

I've had the same experience. Some of this stuff won't do the task it's
intended to with satisfactory results, even ONE time.

I do have a cheapie HF HVLP sprayer that actually works fine, but it's
been the exception of my experiences. I'd really need to try a Harbor
Freight woodworking machine myself, with wood, before I'd spend one
nickel on it.

Barry
Hippy

I have a HF near me and I use tools for a living. I've tried quite a bit of
thier stuff and, well.....you get what you pay for. For the hobbist, most
are ok but for industrial work, well hell ...even craftsman really doesn't
hold up well either. I look for stuff that I don't use often when I shop at
HF and Sears.
Other than that I use Snap-on, Mac or go for the Dewalt, etc at Home Depot
and Lowes.
But thats just my .02
Hippy
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Joe Liu" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

George E. Cawthon

J T wrote:
Mon, Feb 28, 2005, 3:13pm (EST+5) (Edwin Pawlowski) says:
snip Sometimes a cheap tool is OK for getting a job done. HF has a
fairly good reputation for its nailers and clamps. If jointer tables are
not flat, cannot be aligned, etc, you are not saving anything. Your
money, your choice.

I've gotten things at HF that I'll NEVER wear out, I just don't use
them that often. they work great, and I coldn't justify paying extra
for something with a bit more "quality".

I've not heard any feedback on the HF jointer tables yet, from
anyone that has actually used one, that is. I've only glanced at them,
in passing, but certainly looked sturdy enough. Anyway, if you get one,
and don't like it, HF has a good return policy.

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

I looked at the 6" (or is it 7") jointer fairly
carefully noting the various features. The tables
seemed flat based on the various instore tools,
levels and squares. But I'm no expert. Compared
to the old Craftsman 4" that my FIL gave me, the
HF looks like a marvel of modernity. M FIL used
the Craftsman for building cabinets and windows in
two different houses and was very satisfied. I
had the knives ground and spent up to 2 hours
getting everything adjusted. It works well but
the tables are not exactly flat. Adjustments of
the knives is as primitive as it can get and
adjust of the tables is a bear because of design
flaws (locking the tables changes the heights).
In contrast the the HF blades rest on adjustable
screws which would make setting the blades easy
and the tables moved smoothly in dovetails.

And you are right, if you find that the tables are
not flat, you've wasted some time, but you can
return it. BTW, I checked a $400 jointer at Home
Depot with the tools available there and it looked
like the tables weren't as flat as the HF tables.

Joe Liu

Like I said, if you make a living with the tools, get the best you can
afford, get quality tools to do quality work.

For most of us, we probably buy it once and used it once or twice...

Greg O

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Joe Liu" wrote in message
. com...
I look at it this way, I can spend $200 for a HF now and have $350 to
spare.
2 years later if my HF is not holding up and I need to use another one, I
can spend another $200 for the same HF or maybe by then a better model or
better deal is out there.

The logic of your argument sound very reasonable and sensible. What is
left out though, is the annoyance and frustration factor. If a tool is
not tuned properly and cannot cut as accurately, break blades, ruins wood,
make a project take lots longer, what is that worth?

Sometimes a cheap tool is OK for getting a job done. HF has a fairly good
reputation for its nailers and clamps. If jointer tables are not flat,
cannot be aligned, etc, you are not saving anything. Your money, your
choice.

Yup! I agree with you Ed. I have never been sorry that I spent more and
bought a higher quality tool. On the other hand, several times I was sorry I
went the cheap way as I usually ended up buying the better tool in the end
anyway!
My frustration activation level is very low so an easier to use tool keeps
me happy!
Greg

Greg O

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Or perhaps, spend his money only once for a lifetime, and not have to deal
with replacing a pretty substantial tool, or having it break in the middle
of use, or find himself doing more setups and adjustments than he should.

I figured the $500 I spent on the Jet was chump change over the next 30
years I will be using it! $16.66 a year! Plus figuring that if I ever need
parts it was more likely that Jet parts will be easy to find where HF parts
availability are questionable right now!
Greg

Hippy

Like I said, if you make a living with the tools, get the best you can
afford, get quality tools to do quality work.

Best+Afford=oxymoron...don't we always want better than we buy? ;-)

... For most of us, we probably buy it once and used it once otwice...

Like I said, concerning HF and Sears...for the Hobbyist...
~Hippy

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:04:58 GMT, B a r r y
wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

The only problem with this logic is that it assumes that the quality is
built into the cheap product enough that it will serve as well, or near
enough as well as the better product, but maybe not for as long. This is
generally not the case.

I've had the same experience. Some of this stuff won't do the task it's
intended to with satisfactory results, even ONE time.

I do have a cheapie HF HVLP sprayer that actually works fine, but it's
been the exception of my experiences. I'd really need to try a Harbor
Freight woodworking machine myself, with wood, before I'd spend one
nickel on it.

Barry

my impression of HF's jointers is that they are like an Anant plane-
with a bunch of work they could be made useable. if you have lots of
time and little money and like to tinker it might be OK, but a good
used delta (bailey) for the same money will be a better deal.