Greg

Default Drill Press Handle Source

Hi all--

I'm looking for a source for handles for a drill press. I just picked up a
Taiwanese import (Foremost Tool, never heard of them) at a commercial shop
closing. 13" swing 5-speed, 5/8" chuck...$20. Needed a belt and handles (only
had 1). The belt was easy, but I'm looking for a source of handles. I feel
like I have 2 options:

1) Get some 3/8 rod, cut it to length, cut threads, but balls on.

2) Buy handles (currently going for about $8/ea. at McMaster or MSC)

So here's my question: I don't know if (1) is any cheaper than (2)...I
don't have the rod, the balls (you know what I mean, you sickos) or the die.
Anybody know of a cheaper source for handles? I realize that in the grand
scheme of tool purchasing $16 isn't much, but it's a huge percentage of my
so-far investment in the machine. I bugs me the same way as if a replacement
handwheel on my jointer cost $300.

Anyone have a matched set with 3/8-16 threads they want to let go for cheap??

Any help appreciated.

--Greg

Greg Mikol

This email address is registered with the Washington State
Attorney General's office and WAISP.

Unsolicited Commercial Email sent to this address in violation
of RCW 19.190.020 is subject to civil penalties of $500 per
offense.
Norman D. Crow

"Greg" wrote in message

Hi all--

I'm looking for a source for handles for a drill press. I just picked up a
Taiwanese import (Foremost Tool, never heard of them) at a commercial shop
closing. 13" swing 5-speed, 5/8" chuck...$20. Needed a belt and handles

(only
had 1). The belt was easy, but I'm looking for a source of handles. I feel
like I have 2 options:

1) Get some 3/8 rod, cut it to length, cut threads, but balls on.

2) Buy handles (currently going for about $8/ea. at McMaster or MSC)

Why not just buy 3/8" threaded rod & cut it to length? If you want to cover
up the threads, put some heat shrink tubing over them, or some copper
tubing. For balls go to craft supply and buy 1" or 1 1/2" wood balls, drill
them & epoxy them on.

--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

---

DanG

We have a Delta. One of the fellas brought in a small diameter
steering wheel. We added a "wrist breaker" to the steering wheel.
Works great.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Greg" wrote in message

[...]

Greg

In article , Mark wrote:
Are you sure they're 3/8 and not 10mm? 10mm is only .020" larger than
3/8, so it's quite easy to get them crossed up. Mark

Aw Geez...Now you've got me second-guessing myself. I'll double-check the next
time I go to the hardware store. A 3/8-16 threaded on quite smoothly. 16 tpi
equates to a 1.58mm pitch. The closest metric equivalent is M10x1.5, but it's
not exact. If my handle was metric, wouldn't a UNC nut bind up??

Regardless of whether the thread is American or Rest-Of-The-World, any more
ideas for a source??

Thanks again--

Greg

Greg Mikol

This email address is registered with the Washington State
Attorney General's office and WAISP.

Unsolicited Commercial Email sent to this address in violation
of RCW 19.190.020 is subject to civil penalties of $500 per
offense.
bridger

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 05:00:25 GMT, (Greg)
wrote:

Hi all--

I'm looking for a source for handles for a drill press

try grizzly
Silvan

Greg wrote:

Aw Geez...Now you've got me second-guessing myself. I'll double-check the
next time I go to the hardware store. A 3/8-16 threaded on quite smoothly.
16 tpi equates to a 1.58mm pitch. The closest metric equivalent is
M10x1.5, but it's not exact. If my handle was metric, wouldn't a UNC nut
bind up??

I think it *was* 3/8"-16... I had some holes in aluminum that I boogered
up. I took a piece of scrap steel, drilled a hole, tapped threads, tried
the set screw. It fit perfectly. So I used that size tap to clean up the
threads in the aluminum pulley. After I did that, it was painfully obvious
that I had used the wrong tap. The threads were now *seriously* loose,
though the set screw did fit.

I ended up drilling it out one more size and cutting new American threads
for an American set screw, the way the woodworking gods intended. Metric
is for sissies and Kanukistanis.

I'd bet 13.5 cents that the threads in your drill press are Metric. You
probably don't want to repeat my screw-up, though anyway it might have been
1/4"-20 or 5/16"-18... I can't quite remember. Whatever it was, the
metric screw fit well enough into the American threads. Just didn't get
solidly tight.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/