Matthew Whyte

Default Side fence for DW621 Router

I've got a DW621 which I'm generally very pleased with. (BTW thanks for
everyone's help on this a while back). However, I find that the side
fence is kinda lame - I know it has the dust extraction, but I think
that compromises the stability and overall usefulness of it.

I'd rather have a fully-cast fence for it. Does anyone knof of a
replacement that fits? The one that comes with the Trend T5 looks OK,
but I'm not sure if it's the same fit...

TIA, Matthew

charlie b

Matthew Whyte wrote:

I've got a DW621 which I'm generally very pleased with. (BTW thanks for
everyone's help on this a while back). However, I find that the side
fence is kinda lame - I know it has the dust extraction, but I think
that compromises the stability and overall usefulness of it.

I'd rather have a fully-cast fence for it. Does anyone knof of a
replacement that fits? The one that comes with the Trend T5 looks OK,
but I'm not sure if it's the same fit...

TIA, Matthew

I'm a little confused - fence/dust collection/stability.

But if you're looking for a precision edge guide - one
that will let you adjust the bit position relative to
an edge, straight or curved, this one will do it. He
has a part that connects it to a DW621 cause I've
got it (and it works as advertised) Ain't cheap
but things that are built this well and work this
well seldom are.

http://www.microfence.com/

charlie b
ps - if you ever decide to put your DW621 in a
router table and want to use it's fine height
adjuster then have a look at the DooHickey
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/DW621DooHickey.html
Dave

Would you consider making your own fence? It wouldn't be that hard and
you could make it as stable as you want. If you're interested I'll make
a drawing for you. You ought to be able to work out the details easily
enough.

Dave

Here's another height adjuster for the DW621. Works great because it
squeezes the base plate and motor together and the adjust is centered
over the motor. It is also very inexpensive and quick to make.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums...routerlift.jpg

Details are available...from me.

BillyBob

"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
Would you consider making your own fence? It wouldn't be that hard and
you could make it as stable as you want. If you're interested I'll make
a drawing for you. You ought to be able to work out the details easily
enough.

I'm a shameless person when someone offers to give something really useful.
I'd love to have details about your height adjustment and a drawing for the
fence you mention.

Best regards,
Bob Davis
Houston, Texas

charlie b

Dave wrote:

Here's another height adjuster for the DW621. Works great because it
squeezes the base plate and motor together and the adjust is centered
over the motor. It is also very inexpensive and quick to make.
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums...routerlift.jpg

Details are available...from me.

Slick idea - and uses existing threaded holes, also handy. Is that
all-thread or did you use rod stock and thread the ends?

If you take the plastic dust collection thing off you can pick
up some more bit height. Also makes it easier to get to the
collet nut.

Noticed your insert place has no set screw adjustment to
get it level with the table top. You that good routing or
were you very lucky?

Thanks for the idea.

charlie b
Dave

Charlie, you've got most of the details right. 6mm all thread from the
base to the cross bar. Nuts and lockwashers lock the rod in place on
the base and on the cross bar. Cross bar is a scrap of oak. Tee nut on
the bottom of the cross bar midway between the all thread supports.
Chunk of 3/8-16 all thread with a knob on one end and brass acorn nut
on the other.

The picture was taken shortly after I first made it. Later I shortened
the rods up a bit. I just stuck it together quickly and didin't measure
anything because I needed to use it. It probably took me less than
fifteen minutes to make.

Bob, I hope that's enough detail for you.

As to the edge guide, I'll do a drawing and post it on Monday.

Charlie, that plate on the router is a Bench Dog plate. Levelling
screws are in the table on Bench Dog tables. Those big clear plates are
nice when hand holding the router, too.

Dave

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums.../edgeguide.jpg

As promised, here's a drawing on an edge guide for the DW621. It could
be made for other routers, too. I just based the dimensions on the
DW621 since it was the router in question. I have an idea for a
different fence but haven't had time to draw it yet. It would make it
easier to track around the edge of a round table top for example.

The fence was designed to be removable and a handle could be installed
on the top giving an enlarged base for stability even when you don't
care about guiding on an edge.

It was designed to be made from readily accessible materials and should
be within the grasp of even the most basic woodworker.

Dimensions could be had upon request.

Dave