Default Good turning book?

Can you folks recommend a good book for a novice woodturner? I see lots of
them out there but I don't know what's good and what's not. Thanks

Tony

Joe Wilding

I really like the books by Richard Raffan. (I think the one I read is
called "Turning Wood")
I would highly recommend getting th video that goes with it. There are some
things in wood turning that are easier to watch than deterine from wrods or
pictures. A lot of larger libraries have the video, if you do not want to
buy it.

Joe in Denver
my woodworking website:
http://www.the-wildings.com/shop/

"T" wrote in message
Can you folks recommend a good book for a novice woodturner? I see lots of
them out there but I don't know what's good and what's not. Thanks

Tony

Dave Jackson

I have a few of Ernie Conover's books and like them the best. He has
several different ones on turning for furniture, bowls, etc. Pick the
project you want to start and get the book to match. I also have
"Fundamentals of Woodturning" by Darlo, which I didn't like as well. I
thought Ernie's books kept my interest and were easier to understand for a
novice just wanting to get started on something. --dave

"T" wrote in message
Can you folks recommend a good book for a novice woodturner? I see lots of
them out there but I don't know what's good and what's not. Thanks

Tony

George

"T" wrote in message
Can you folks recommend a good book for a novice woodturner? I see lots of
them out there but I don't know what's good and what's not. Thanks

Tony

Best is out of print. The Practical Woodturner. Frank Pain, a character
and a half with what turning is about, not how to make this or that.

Patriarch

"T" wrote in

Can you folks recommend a good book for a novice woodturner? I see
lots of them out there but I don't know what's good and what's not.
Thanks

Tony

"Woodturning, Two books in One", Phil Irons, Sterling Publishing, NY, 1999
ISBN 0-8069-6583-5

Paid about $18 at Rockler.

Before you start the lathe, find some videos. As much as anything, turning
is a motor skill, demonstrated best visually. The 'dance' is hard to
explain, or understand, from static words and pictures.

At least for me.

Patriarch

Good advice from all. There is also another group where you'll find a
whole lot more info, especially if you do a google search of the
archives;
rec.crafts.woodturning
Good luck, and brace yourself for the tool spending spree...

Fly-by-Night CC

In article qMNSd.19251$Tt.13330@fed1read05,
"T" wrote:

Can you folks recommend a good book for a novice woodturner? I see lots of
them out there but I don't know what's good and what's not. Thanks

The most often cited books to answer this question when it comes up on
rec.crafts.woodturning a

Woodturning, A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley
Turning Wood
Turning Bowls
Turning Boxes, all three by Richard Raffan.

I'm the chapter librarian for one of the AAW chapters here in NW Oregon
and we have upwards of 75 turning books and 55 videos and DVDs. I've
looked through or seen practically all of them. The above would be my
personal recommendation as well for the new turner. If you only have the
budget for one right now, I'd go with Rowley over Raffan for general
coverage of the subject with good flow, explanation, illustration and
editing - but you wouldn't go wrong with Raffan's books either. Some
folks direct new turners to Mike Darlow's books, but the usual
commentary, of which I readily agree, is that he's extremely techincal
and rather dry. If that's your MO, you might find him helpful.

--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Lobby Dosser

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

The most often cited books to answer this question when it comes up on
rec.crafts.woodturning a

Woodturning, A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley
Turning Wood
Turning Bowls
Turning Boxes, all three by Richard Raffan.

And the videos are also worth the money. Get Rowley book and video first.

book on windsor chair making CRR Woodworking 1 January 24th 05 02:05 AM
Wallace Nutting or Good Book to See Variety of Styles firstjois Woodworking 0 January 22nd 05 05:23 PM
Good tuneup book Toby Woodworking 5 January 22nd 05 01:56 PM
Good Plumbing Book for Novice J. UK diy 6 January 31st 04 09:22 AM