CRR

Default book on windsor chair making

Dunbars, Windsor Chairmaking seems to be getting a fairly high price.
Why I don't know, because it seems to have content of no value IMHO.
I'm thinking he wrote the book when he knew very little about chairs.

His book, Make a Windsor Chair with Michael Dunbar is a good book.
Sure he doesn't recommend some of the techniques in it anymore, but
there's really only a few places it falls short. I made a very nice
chair with it. The book has plans for a continuous armchair and a
sackback. The c-arm may be a pinch on the small size but is
beautifully styled. Sure it would be nice if he made an up to date
book, but that may cut into the classes he teaches? The plans from the
book are nice(style). The technique is short...but useful.

The sackback is beautiful too, and many chairmakers today may be making
and selling that exact chair.

Drew Langsners book is more complete, but I don't think the c-arm is as
atractive as Mikes, but thats just personal opinion. Drews books is
more up to date with joinery IMO.

John Kassays book had a few different plans but nothing on building
technique.

Noons

RESPITE95 wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of Michael Dunbar's book about making windsor

chairs
that they would be willing to sell to a fellow woodworker? GCS

Dunno about Dunbar's book, given the comments.
John Bentley (sp?) from the UK has one out as well on
Welsh chairs, and they are very similar. Maybe that's
an option? Certainly cheaper, last time I looked.