Prometheus

Default Looking for a website

Hello all,

I thought I had bookmarked a site that I ran across on this group, but
it appears that I did not. I'm looking to build myself a better
workbench now that I'm in a permanent shop, and I know I saw a site by
someone here that had a few ideas I was intending to incorporate.
What I remember of the site was that the guy built his bench using
only hand tools, and had his son build his own bench as well, also
with hand tools only.

Anyone have any ideas which one I'm looking for? I did a Google
search, but came up with about a billion links that were not what I
was looking for.

Thanks!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Dave Balderstone

In article , Prometheus
wrote:

Hello all,

I thought I had bookmarked a site that I ran across on this group, but
it appears that I did not. I'm looking to build myself a better
workbench now that I'm in a permanent shop, and I know I saw a site by
someone here that had a few ideas I was intending to incorporate.
What I remember of the site was that the guy built his bench using
only hand tools, and had his son build his own bench as well, also
with hand tools only.

This one?

http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/beginners.htm

Dave Jackson

Although not the site you requested, there's a ton of info here on bench
building. http://www.geocities.com/plybench/bench.html

Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...

--
"The thing about saying the wrong words is that A, I don't notice it, and
B,

WoodchuckCanuck

There's a free plans info list of 91 links for building worktables and
workbenches at
http://woodworkersworkshop.com/resou...ex.php?cat=485

mac davis

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:31:04 -0600, Prometheus wrote:

Hello all,

I thought I had bookmarked a site that I ran across on this group, but
it appears that I did not. I'm looking to build myself a better
workbench now that I'm in a permanent shop, and I know I saw a site by
someone here that had a few ideas I was intending to incorporate.
What I remember of the site was that the guy built his bench using
only hand tools, and had his son build his own bench as well, also
with hand tools only.

Anyone have any ideas which one I'm looking for? I did a Google
search, but came up with about a billion links that were not what I
was looking for.

Thanks!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

damn.. seems that his name might have been Bill?
Might have been called "ultimate bench" or something like that, because it was
like his 3rd or 4th bench..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:31:04 -0600, the inscrutable Prometheus
spake:

Hello all,

I thought I had bookmarked a site that I ran across on this group, but
it appears that I did not. I'm looking to build myself a better
workbench now that I'm in a permanent shop, and I know I saw a site by
someone here that had a few ideas I was intending to incorporate.
What I remember of the site was that the guy built his bench using
only hand tools, and had his son build his own bench as well, also
with hand tools only.

Several plans are listed in Landis' "The Workbench Book". Find one
at your local library/book store, or www.Amazon.com .

Anyone have any ideas which one I'm looking for? I did a Google
search, but came up with about a billion links that were not what I
was looking for.

I don't recall which, but have you done a Google search on this
newsgroup? Goto Google.com, click on the advanced search, sign
in, and click Groups. Set the newsgroup to rec.woodworking and
try "workbench son" in the query.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Prometheus

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:26:31 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

[...]

I think that was the one... anyone got a link?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

I don't recall which, but have you done a Google search on this
newsgroup? Goto Google.com, click on the advanced search, sign
in, and click Groups. Set the newsgroup to rec.woodworking and
try "workbench son" in the query.

Won't work- the bit about his son making the bench was on the site,
not the post. I'll keep on digging. Thanks to the folks with the
other links- I'm looking for one specific feature that sounded really
good, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was!

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
================================================= =====

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

damn.. seems that his name might have been Bill?
Might have been called "ultimate bench" or something like that, because it was
like his 3rd or 4th bench..

Found it- http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/benchu.htm . It was the
"ultimate bench" string that got it. Thanks! Of course, looking at
the page now, I can't imagine why I was looking for it. Hell, I'll
just make the sucker, and quit messing around looking for whatever it
was I was looking for. I think it was the 2 x 4 top that caught my
attention the first time around.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Owen Lawrence

"Prometheus" wrote in message

damn.. seems that his name might have been Bill?
Might have been called "ultimate bench" or something like that, because

it was
like his 3rd or 4th bench..

Found it- http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/benchu.htm . It was the
"ultimate bench" string that got it. Thanks! Of course, looking at
the page now, I can't imagine why I was looking for it. Hell, I'll
just make the sucker, and quit messing around looking for whatever it
was I was looking for. I think it was the 2 x 4 top that caught my
attention the first time around.

I am planning to build this bench as my next major project. Please keep us
informed of your progress and any observations you can make. Thanks.

- Owen -

Patriarch

Prometheus wrote in
:

damn.. seems that his name might have been Bill?
Might have been called "ultimate bench" or something like that,
because it was like his 3rd or 4th bench..

Found it- http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/benchu.htm . It was the
"ultimate bench" string that got it. Thanks! Of course, looking at
the page now, I can't imagine why I was looking for it. Hell, I'll
just make the sucker, and quit messing around looking for whatever it
was I was looking for. I think it was the 2 x 4 top that caught my
attention the first time around.

There always seem to be some interesting and relatively informed
discussions regarding bench building at woodcentral.com, in the handtools
forum.

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:20:23 -0600, the inscrutable Prometheus
spake:

I don't recall which, but have you done a Google search on this
newsgroup? Goto Google.com, click on the advanced search, sign
in, and click Groups. Set the newsgroup to rec.woodworking and
try "workbench son" in the query.

Won't work- the bit about his son making the bench was on the site,
not the post. I'll keep on digging.

So don't just balk, search the Wreck for "workbench", whydoncha?

Thanks to the folks with the
other links- I'm looking for one specific feature that sounded really
good, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was!

You thank the others but not me? See if I go out of my way
for you again, Prommy.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Prometheus

Won't work- the bit about his son making the bench was on the site,
not the post. I'll keep on digging.

So don't just balk, search the Wreck for "workbench", whydoncha?

Ah, I already have.

Thanks to the folks with the
other links- I'm looking for one specific feature that sounded really
good, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was!

You thank the others but not me? See if I go out of my way
for you again, Prommy.

Pardon? Thank you for your input as well- I didn't intend to make you
feel ignored, in my mind I was thanking all the folks who responded.
Guess I missed the "as well" after "thanks" above. Long work days
lead to small oversights sometimes. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
David

Prometheus wrote in message . ..
I'm looking to build myself a better workbench
using only hand tools, ...

Shortly (2 weeks aprox.) you will find free plans to build a
custom-made workbench at www.bricomagic.com

You will not need to be an expert to build the workbench using only
hand tools.

Hope this info is useful for you.
Prometheus

On 13 Feb 2005 07:42:44 -0800, (David) wrote:

Prometheus wrote in message . ..
I'm looking to build myself a better workbench
using only hand tools, ...

Shortly (2 weeks aprox.) you will find free plans to build a
custom-made workbench at
www.bricomagic.com

You will not need to be an expert to build the workbench using only
hand tools.

Hope this info is useful for you.

I'll probably give it a look when it's up, but I just finished the
top, so I imagine it's going the be a done deal before you've got the
site running. Took eight hours with a hand plane to get the sucker
smooth and flat, but that's because I tried to do it one the cheap
side, and used 2 x 4 framing timbers, and had to plane out all the
rounded edges. Looks surprisingly good, though!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam