Dave Jackson

Default LITTLE GLOAT! A trip to the YARD! longish...

Sose i decided it's time to build a "proper" workbench. The old
laminate counter top and Z-vise have served me well, but as my woodworking
skills expand, so has the need to upgrade the bench.
I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of lumberyards within a few miles
of home. My "regular" guy has a good inventory and good prices on furniture
grade wood, but, like most, usually doesn't have much over 4/4. I can
request it, but it takes several months for him to saw it and run it through
the kiln. I really don't want to wait that long for stock thick enough to
build a bench, so Plan B....
The other lumberyard is mainly into producing large wood. Railroad
ties, logs for log cabins, pallet wood, etc. They have no kiln, and
therefore no furniture grade wood. I've bought wood from them in the past
for some outdoor stuff, and they have always been able to accomodate. This
yard is by no means a "retail establishment". To get to the point to where
you can talk to someone, you'll need a 4x4 and a good waterproof pair of
boots. Finally i approached John, he's the "young guy" of the two at 76
years old. Like usual, he was standing next to that old band mill sawing a
large hickory log. Man, that old dude can throw cants off that line that
made me tired and sore just watching him (....and I'm 34 and hump framing
lumber around all day long!!!) Amazing.... Anyway, over the buzzzz of the
band mill, I yelled at him an inquiry about some thicker stock to build a
bench with. After a short yelling match, he sent me over to the barn to
talk to the "senior partner". He's is 82, and a little hard of hearing.
I tell him what I'm looking for. And tell him again. He says "well, i got
some Bur Oak I sawed up for a guy about 10 years ago, I don't reckon he's
gonna come after it now. See that big stack back in the corner?"
After moving many old car parts, and assorted busted farm machinery, I
got my first good look at the pile. He's got probably 1000 BF of 12/4 bur
oak beams, 8-10 ft long. Some measured 23" wide! I picked through the top
of the stack, which was about 10' high, and only had to throw 4 of those
mosters off to the side to get to some good straight ones. I had loaded 8
beams, ranging from 9" to 16" wide on the truck when i decided I had enough.
The senior partner grabbed his measuring stick and figured up i had 90 bdft
loaded. He then says "why don't you just take those ones you threw off to
the side to, that way, we don't have to put 'em back." I said "well, can
you just figure out how much i owe ya before we load anymore, I'm not sure
if i have enough money for what i have now" He says "just load em...I'll
charge you for the 90ft"
Anyway, to make this long story short, He charged me for 90 bd ft of bur
oak @ $.60 , plus threw in another 30 bdft or so bringing the total to about
120bdft at a total cost of get this. $54. I promptly thanked him and
headed home, grinning the whole way. --dave

Joe C.

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Ummm, you suck. But then, you know that. *Nice* score. jc

and.... 10 years worth of air drying? I'm guessing you got some pretty
stable stock. Post pics of the bench.

daverwebb

Dave Jackson wrote:
[...]

Ya'll best be heading back and snappin' up the rest of that there burr
oak. Smells a mite funny, but is stable and hard as heck.

Tattooed and Dusty

Please tell me you are close to Portland, Or?

Otherwise you suck.

Silvan

Dave Jackson wrote:

120bdft at a total cost of get this. $54. I promptly thanked him
and headed home, grinning the whole way. --dave

Man, I don't even know how people feel like they can get away with posting
things like this. You don't even suck. Suck isn't nearly strong enough.
You VACUUM, or something. I don't even know. I'm still reeling.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 01:15:17 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dave Jackson wrote:

120bdft at a total cost of get this. $54. I promptly thanked him
and headed home, grinning the whole way. --dave

Man, I don't even know how people feel like they can get away with posting
things like this. You don't even suck. Suck isn't nearly strong enough.
You VACUUM, or something. I don't even know. I'm still reeling.

You ain't kidding. Spoken as someone who just paid $5.35/BF for cherry
today. I'da got 10 BF for what he got 120.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Joe Wells

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:48:17 -0800, J wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how 8, 8-10' L x 12/4 T x 9-16" W beams =
90 BF.
Should be about 225BF for the first 8.

Yup. What really sucks is he doesn't even know how much he sucks! If we
assume that each is 8' x 12" x 12/4 (to make the math easier) and he got 8
"good" ones and 4 "bad" ones, that's 288 bf total. So for $54 total,
that's $0.1875 per bf. You probably can't buy fill dirt for $0.19 a "board
foot".

--
Joe Wells

Joe Wells

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:31:34 +0000, Dave Jackson wrote:

so Plan B....

I tell him
what I'm looking for. And tell him again. He says "well, i got some
Bur Oak I sawed up for a guy about 10 years ago, I don't reckon he's
gonna come after it now. See that big stack back in the corner?"

here it comes
After moving many old car parts, and assorted busted farm
machinery, I
got my first good look at the pile. He's got probably 1000 BF of 12/4
bur oak beams, 8-10 ft long. Some measured 23" wide!

let the suckage begin
I picked through the top of the stack, which was about 10' high,
and only had to throw 4 of those mosters off to the side to get to some
good straight ones. I had loaded 8 beams, ranging from 9" to 16" wide
on the truck when i decided I had enough. The senior partner grabbed his
measuring stick and figured up i had 90 bdft loaded. He then says "why
don't you just take those ones you threw off to the side to, that way,
we don't have to put 'em back."

you suck
I said "well, can you just
figure out how much i owe ya before we load anymore, I'm not sure if i
have enough money for what i have now" He says "just load em...I'll
charge you for the 90ft"

like a Hoover
Anyway, to make this long story short, He charged me for 90 bd ft of
bur
oak @ $.60

make that the gravity well of a gas giant
, plus threw in another 30 bdft or so bringing
the total to about 120bdft at a total cost of get this. $54.

nope, like a black hole
promptly thanked him and headed home, grinning the whole way. --dave

*Thanked* him? For what you got away with, you should go back and offer to
warsh his car, paint his house, and do his taxes.

Um, that lumber yard wouldn't be around St. Louis, would it? Just askin',
no reason really...

--
Joe Wells

Jason Quick

"Dave Jackson" wrote :

Sose i decided it's time to build a "proper" workbench. The old
laminate counter top and Z-vise have served me well, but as my woodworking
skills expand, so has the need to upgrade the bench.

[snip Amazing Story (TM)]

Hm. My first one...and it's a doozy. Lemme see if I can get this one
right...

You suck so much, I'm surprised that you haven't collapsed under your own
suckitude into a black hole.

Jason

charlie b

That's ten to the minus six mm of Hg on the vacuum scale!
Bugs explode at 10^-6!

BTW - if you take it off the stack and don't buy it YOU are
supposed to restack it. Don't set a bad example
for others. Don't want to **** off ANY sawyer - they're
getting rare you know.

charlie b
Dave Jackson

Charlie---
I would have been happy to restack the lumber for him. When he said "we
won't have to restack it" he really meant that I won't have to restack it.
The "senior partner" is somewhat frail looking and doubt he could have
picked up any of those beams, and i certainly wouldn't have felt right
leaving them for him to attempt it. --dave

charlie b" wrote in message
That's ten to the minus six mm of Hg on the vacuum scale!
Bugs explode at 10^-6!

BTW - if you take it off the stack and don't buy it YOU are
supposed to restack it. Don't set a bad example
for others. Don't want to **** off ANY sawyer - they're
getting rare you know.

charlie b

Eric

yousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousucky ousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuck
yousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousucky ousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuck
yousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousucky ousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuck
yousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousucky ousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuck
yousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousucky ousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuck
yousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousucky ousuckyousuckyousuckyousuckyousuck

I'm going lumber hunting for a new bench today and had a wet dream about
exactly the same thing last night.

nice score.

[...]

Joe Wells

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 08:41:26 -0500, Eric wrote:

Forgot to ask - on the outside chance that my dream was actually a
premonition - was Monica Belluci by chance the office girl? If so so I
have more quesitons.

Such as, was she covered in caviar?
http://www.esquire.com/covergallery/coverdetail.html?y=2001&m=2

--
Joe Wells

Patriarch

"Dave Jackson" wrote in
.net:

Anyway, to make this long story short, He charged me for 90 bd ft of
bur
oak @ $.60 , plus threw in another 30 bdft or so bringing the total to
about 120bdft at a total cost of get this. $54. I promptly
thanked him and headed home, grinning the whole way. --dave

It may be April or May before you can stop grinning!

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 07:56:52 -0600, the inscrutable Joe Wells
spake:

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 08:41:26 -0500, Eric wrote:

Forgot to ask - on the outside chance that my dream was actually a
premonition - was Monica Belluci by chance the office girl? If so so I
have more quesitons.

Such as, was she covered in caviar?
http://www.esquire.com/covergallery/coverdetail.html?y=2001&m=2

It makes a person almost want to learn to love caviar, doesn't it?
That's one gorgeous caviar tray there, Esquire. Me? I'd cover her
head to toe in dark chocolate and lick it all off.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development

Major suckage for those of us who live in wood-deprived areas!
--RC

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:31:34 GMT, "Dave Jackson"
wrote:

[...]

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

-- Suzie B
Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

Such as, was she covered in caviar?
http://www.esquire.com/covergallery/coverdetail.html?y=2001&m=2

It makes a person almost want to learn to love caviar, doesn't it?

Um. No. I guess I'm getting old. It would NOT be worth eating a bunch of
fish eggs to get to what's under that mess.

Chocolate, maybe, caviar, no way. Although chocolate would be bad for my
assal fattalitis, and anyway, my wife would just cut my penis off anyway,
so why bother? Sigh.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:35:33 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Such as, was she covered in caviar?
http://www.esquire.com/covergallery/coverdetail.html?y=2001&m=2

It makes a person almost want to learn to love caviar, doesn't it?

Um. No. I guess I'm getting old. It would NOT be worth eating a bunch of
fish eggs to get to what's under that mess.

Chocolate, maybe, caviar, no way. Although chocolate would be bad for my
assal fattalitis, and anyway, my wife would just cut my penis off anyway,
so why bother? Sigh.

So chocolatize your wife for dessert tonight. She's safe, right?

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Charlie Self

In response, Silvan notes:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Such as, was she covered in caviar?
http://www.esquire.com/covergallery/coverdetail.html?y=2001&m=2

It makes a person almost want to learn to love caviar, doesn't it?

Um. No. I guess I'm getting old. It would NOT be worth eating a bunch of
fish eggs to get to what's under that mess.

Chocolate, maybe, caviar, no way. Although chocolate would be bad for my
assal fattalitis, and anyway, my wife would just cut my penis off anyway,
so why bother? Sigh.

Whipped cream is good.

Charlie Self
"I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush

I'm pretty sure you suck, but can anyone please clarify what is "Bur"
Oak?

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/si...macrocarpa.htm

HEY!!! That's my wood from 10 years ago! j/k

YOU SUCK! I feel like I got ripped off now for getting 8/4 white oak
for $1.00bf...

Seems to be the more I work with it the more I remember whiskey is aged
in white oak casks.
SS

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Chocolate, maybe, caviar, no way. Although chocolate would be bad for my
assal fattalitis, and anyway, my wife would just cut my penis off anyway,
so why bother? Sigh.

Whipped cream is good.

I'm definitely whipped. I don't think I've ever been creamed.