HerHusband

Default Stepped rabbets for mirrored doors?

I need to build a couple of doors for our bathroom cabinets (about 12" wide
x 30" high), and am thinking of putting mirrors in place of the usual wood
panels.

I was thinking of building a frame, with a rabbet in the back for the
mirror to sit in. Then a second rabbet, closer to the backside, would
extend out a bit further into the frame. This would allow a plywood backing
to be screwed to the frame, thus securing the mirror and protecting it from
damage when the door is open. It would also allow easy replacement of the
mirror if it should get broken.

I recently received a catalog from Pricecutter.com, and noticed a "stepped
rabbet" router bit. It appears to do exactly what I'm thinking of, but I've
never heard of this company before, or seen these bits anywhere else.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has used these bits, and am also interested in
hearing in any alternative approaches I might consider.

Thanks,

Anthony
Mike in Arkansas

I would make a single rabbet and put both the mirror and backer in.
Secure the backer board with something like glazer points or small wood
strips. just my two cents worth.

Charles Spitzer

"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

glass holding clips.

http://delphiglass.com/index.cfm?pag...emsysid=126048

Dave

Anthony,

Like Mike said, a single rabbet deep enough for the mirror and a back
would be just fine. Glazier's points or glass stops (thin strips of
wood) nailed into the edge of the rabbet would be the way to finish it
up.

As to Pricecutter.com, I've bought several things from them. The
service has been good and the prices are reasonable.

Dave

Advice needed on putting poly on wood interior doors Shawn Home Repair 15 January 17th 05 05:26 AM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? Ron Home Repair 5 March 20th 04 06:52 PM
New Front Door(s) Bruce Home Repair 4 December 10th 03 12:37 AM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM