Mark Morin

Default New Mitre Saw Justification

About a week ago I was using my 15 year old inexpensive Ryobi mitre saw and
the blade was spinning for up to a minute after the cut. Clearly a problem
with the electronic brake. After explaining to SWMBO that this was very
dangerous and the limitations of a saw that couldn't handle compound mitres,
I ordered a Delta 36-255LR 12" TwinLaser miter from Amazon. Cost was $235
out the door
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...406901-2202305)
for a reconditioned model which comes close to the price several people got
at Lowes closeouts.

Last night I decided I'd try to take apart the old Ryobi to see what was
broken. A Google search before starting the disassembly yielded a sentence
that said something like "three of the last electronic brake problems I saw
turned out to be loose arbor bolts". I laughed at the stupid mistake others
must have made and walked out to the garage. Five minutes later my old
mitre saw, with its tightened arbor bolt, was working perfectly.

No update planned to SWMBO. Anxiously waiting arrival of new, and ummm ...,
less dangerous saw.

-- Mark

Woodcrafter

No update planned to SWMBO. Anxiously waiting arrival of new, and ummm

....,
less dangerous saw.

Oh well!
You got away with it.... this time
Nice pickup on the Delta.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- GMC BJ110 Biscuit Joiner
- Karcher NT361 Dust Extractor
- Ozito Electronic Ear Muffs
- Festool TDK Cordless Drills
- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

jo4hn

Mark Morin wrote:

[...]

and for 20 bucks I won't tell SWMBO...
Leon

"Mark Morin" wrote in message
Snip

No update planned to SWMBO. Anxiously waiting arrival of new, and ummm
..., less dangerous saw.

-- Mark

I suspect that the electronic brake was really working better than you
thought if it was able to loosen the arbor nut while braking.